Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Make Pizza Fast

Make Pizza Fast
Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2011, 09:02 PM

I thought I'd share my awesome high-speed home made pizza recipe.

My trick is for the base. Instead of buying a pizza base or making dough from scratch, I use flour tortillas.

I like to use three but if you like really thin bases then you could use just the two, or you could pile more on if you prefer.
You just need something to stick the tortillas together. Cream cheese works pretty well but I guess you could use garlic butter, pesto, ketchup or all sorts of other things. The best bit is that you can put other things between the layers too. Herbs, pepper, grated parmesan or other cheese is good. Ham/pepperoni/salmi/chorizo is also very good, the juices get sealed into the layer with it.
Then of course you can chuck whatever you like on top as usual and sling it in the oven for ten minutes.
The whole thing goes from zero to cooked in 20 minutes or less which I reckon isn't bad for a scratch made pizza of sorts.

Anyway, they taste great, there is a million variations you can you try in or on them and they are smaller than your average pizza and lighter so they make a good personal sized meal. Enjoy!
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Railroader
Banned
Aug 14, 2011, 09:08 PM

We make pizzas all the time with using a single tortilla. It allows everyone in the house a couple personal pizzas to their tastes with whatever toppings they want.

Fusing them together with another ingredient is a great idea.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2011, 09:33 PM

I always just make a bunch of dough when I have the time and freeze it and use as needed.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 14, 2011, 10:01 PM

As a summer camp counsellor, I got chosen to teach "make yourself a fun meal" one day. Take an English muffin (split), apply pre-made pizza sauce (or spaghetti sauce) to the sliced side of both halves. Now apply shredded cheese, and maybe even some cut up sliced ham. Microwave until the cheese is well melted and everything is hot. Enjoy.

Flour tortillas are a great base for personal pizzas, and as Railroader notes, putting a couple together to make a thicker, sturdier base, is a great idea.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2011, 10:46 PM

The English muffin idea is interesting, I am gonna give that a go one day.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Aug 14, 2011, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by Waragainstsleep View Post
I thought I'd share my awesome high-speed home made pizza recipe.

My trick is for the base. Instead of buying a pizza base or making dough from scratch, I use flour tortillas.

I like to use three but if you like really thin bases then you could use just the two, or you could pile more on if you prefer.
You just need something to stick the tortillas together. Cream cheese works pretty well but I guess you could use garlic butter, pesto, ketchup or all sorts of other things. The best bit is that you can put other things between the layers too. Herbs, pepper, grated parmesan or other cheese is good. Ham/pepperoni/salmi/chorizo is also very good, the juices get sealed into the layer with it.
Then of course you can chuck whatever you like on top as usual and sling it in the oven for ten minutes.
The whole thing goes from zero to cooked in 20 minutes or less which I reckon isn't bad for a scratch made pizza of sorts.

Anyway, they taste great, there is a million variations you can you try in or on them and they are smaller than your average pizza and lighter so they make a good personal sized meal. Enjoy!
You made a delicious quesadilla. A pizza needs the rise.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2011, 11:44 PM

A Quesadilla is usually folded over, the term that you're looking for, I believe, is Mexican Pizza.

SpaceMonkey
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2011, 09:11 AM

Ridiculous.

"One ticket to Washington, please. I have a date with destiny."

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 15, 2011, 11:46 AM

Meh. I'd rather use toasted french bread or bagels.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

SSharon
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2011, 01:22 PM

If I'm going for speed I use pita bread. It curves up to hold the sauce in and fits in the toaster oven.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

Waragainstsleep  (op)
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2011, 02:54 PM

Lovers of deep pan will probably prefer something 'breadier'. Those like thin crust and/or meat should definitely give it a try, especially with ham or something between the layers.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

finboy
Aug 15, 2011, 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by brassplayersrock² View Post
A Quesadilla is usually folded over, the term that you're looking for, I believe, is Mexican Pizza.
Quesas are folded? Only at Taco Bell, jefe.

But yeah, sounds more like a Mexican pizza.

Thorzdad
Aug 15, 2011, 05:34 PM

We've been using flour tortillas for pizzas for years. My fave is to thinly spread pesto on the tortilla, then toss a few slivers of sun-dried tomatoes, then top it off with crumbled feta cheese. Slip it onto a baking stone in a 375˚ oven for about 7 minutes. Enjoy!

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2011, 04:48 AM

I have a bread maker that I use only for pizza dough.
set for dough setting, let it prove, take what I need and freeze the rest.
I do it so offen I have the recipe printed on the front of the bread maker.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 16, 2011, 06:56 AM

A decent pita bread makes a good "personal, thick crust" pizza base; it's not really pizza crust, but it's pretty good. I think moonmonkey's solution is the most appropriate for "real" pizza, but I don't have the patience or foresight to mix up a batch of pizza dough ahead of time, portion it out for full or small pizzas, or even to wait long enough for fresh dough to bake properly. I wish I did, because that sort of pizza is the absolute best! Fresh, home made, and exactly the way you want it... Now I'm hungry!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

finboy
Aug 16, 2011, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
We've been using flour tortillas for pizzas for years. My fave is to thinly spread pesto on the tortilla, then toss a few slivers of sun-dried tomatoes, then top it off with crumbled feta cheese. Slip it onto a baking stone in a 375˚ oven for about 7 minutes. Enjoy!
Baking stone! Nice touch.

Forum Links
Forum Rules