Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > iPad Pro

iPad Pro
MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2015, 10:20 AM

Was stuck in between getting an iPad Air 2 or a MacBook... Sounds like the iPad Pro is perfect for me.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Sep 10, 2015, 11:49 AM

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 10, 2015, 11:56 AM

I saw that on reddit yesterday.

It doesn't really bother me. Apple is best at using a current idea/product and making it better and sexier.

I think it's weird & annoying they didn't include "3D touch" in iPad Pro.

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2015, 04:34 AM

Microsoft: let's see... Longhorn augered, and we built goodwill back up with Windows 7... let's trash all of it with Windows 8, and tell all our hardware partners they can eat a dick.

Apple: we're a hardware company, here's our hardware.

Microsoft: WAAAAAHHHHHHH!

OreoCookie
Sep 11, 2015, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
I saw that on reddit yesterday.

It doesn't really bother me. Apple is best at using a current idea/product and making it better and sexier.

I think it's weird & annoying they didn't include "3D touch" in iPad Pro.
Apple made a keyboard accessory for the first iPad, and third parties had keyboards that integrated into covers as well. People who are trying to argue that Apple copied Microsoft or vice versa just want to denigrate one of these two companies.

The two devices are very different, Microsoft started from a regular PC and developed it into something that can replace a tablet at times while Apple started with a tablet and added features so that it can at times replace a PC. Different starting points, similar end points. I still think Apple's path was smarter because you don't have to take anything away from users. What is even better, both companies put their own spin on it — which is great news for the consumer.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

MacinTommy  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2015, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
Apple made a keyboard accessory for the first iPad, and third parties had keyboards that integrated into covers as well. People who are trying to argue that Apple copied Microsoft or vice versa just want to denigrate one of these two companies.

The two devices are very different, Microsoft started from a regular PC and developed it into something that can replace a tablet at times while Apple started with a tablet and added features so that it can at times replace a PC. Different starting points, similar end points. I still think Apple's path was smarter because you don't have to take anything away from users. What is even better, both companies put their own spin on it — which is great news for the consumer.
Well said-- never really looked at it that way but agree with you 100%.

OreoCookie
Sep 11, 2015, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
Well said-- never really looked at it that way but agree with you 100%.
Thanks. These “Who did it first?” fanboi discussions are really pointless, because they usually miss the more important question “Who did it right?”. And they'd miss what IMHO is the real contribution of a company (which is on a higher level) and instead focus on a detail: You arguing that the SMS window of iOS 7 now looks like that of Windows Phone 7 is myopic, Microsoft's real contribution was the use of clean, minimalistic design with a focus on typography. (Plus, they are usually wrong about who did it first, too.)

Back to the iPad Pro, personally, I find the iPad Pro really appealing as a work machine. I'm not an artist, but I read tons of documents and annotate them. The size and the Apple Pencil make all the difference here. And I care less that it's less portable. Right now this is done with pen and paper, and often I would scan these documents just to have my annotations. This machine would certainly complement my MacBook Pro. But I want the iPad Pro in ways that I never wanted an iPad or an iPad Air which were “just toys” (in the sense I wanted them for personal use and couldn't justify buying them professionally).

Fortunately for me, my wife is a graphic designer, and when I showed her the part of the video where people made all these elaborate sketches, I knew I had her on board, too. That's the advantage of having married another geek (We have to “talk” about the color, though, she prefers gold )
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Sep 11, 2015 at 08:51 PM. )

subego
Clinically Insane
Sep 11, 2015, 09:17 PM

I've let my freehand skills atrophy to the point where it probably won't do me any good, but I'm curious how it feels.

I'm not very "portable" with my iPad, so the size appeals for pretty much everything.

If I can ever hammer out the workflow from Lightroom, using it for sorting photos would be awesome.

I'm basically sold. My "normal use" iPad is an original Air, so it's getting a little pokey.

ghporter
Administrator
Sep 12, 2015, 09:30 AM

As long as nobody gets into a patent argument/purse swinging match, it really doesn't matter which company did what first. As Oreo says, they approached a similar situation from significantly different angles and came up with similar solutions. They are similar in the way that a Lexus is "similar to" an Audi.

To me, the Surface didn't provide the correct bang for the buck in the areas I was interested in, though I really did thoroughly investigate that route. My son has a Surface and loves it, and frankly it does things that would be handy if my iPad could do them. But my iPad does things his Surface isn't particularly good at. We could really look at this as an extension of the old "PC versus Mac" discussion and not be at all off target.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

P
Sep 13, 2015, 12:40 PM

Apple and MS won't start a patent battle. They cross-licensed "everything" back with the -97 deal, and they renew that deal every five years. Who pays whom and how much is a well-kept secret.

OreoCookie
Sep 13, 2015, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Apple and MS won't start a patent battle. They cross-licensed "everything" back with the -97 deal, and they renew that deal every five years. Who pays whom and how much is a well-kept secret.
And judging from Microsoft's presence at Apple events, their relationship seems to be stronger than ever. The fact that they are no longer strong competitors helps, too: Windows Phone has negligible market share, and if it is >10 %, it is in the segment of cheap phones where Apple stands no chance anyway. The Windows PC market is shrinking. The areas where Microsoft is growing, e. g. in the cloud space are not a core market for Apple anyway. Plus, and that's just my feeling, I think they respect the new Microsoft, because they start getting more serious about design, their own design. You can say a lot of things about Windows Phone, but it ain't no copy of iOS.

Forum Links
Forum Rules