Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.2.2 makes my computer slow! Help!

10.2.2 makes my computer slow! Help!
c_rowe
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 16, 2002, 05:49 PM

Hi everyone-
It seems as though 10.2.2 is getting nothing but praise but since installing it on my iMac, I have been having nothing but trouble. My graphics have been negatively affected, as has the overall speed (opening windows, application response etc.) Has this happened to anyone else or does someone know some way to improve my computer's performance?
Thanks
c_rowe

slider
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2002, 06:25 PM

I just went through this. My problem, which seems to be most peoples problem was the HP print drivers. If you have an HP printer use the uninstaller to remove the driver and restart the computer. Fortunately there is a third party print driver out there for many USB printers for Mac OS X Jaguar. Go here and follow the instructions. I am printing right know and my system, which was exhibiting the same symptoms as your machine, is running really smooth. I lose some of the extra features, but I also have any iBook which I am using as a surrogate until HP fixes this problem. If you just have a regular HP you should be all set with it, I have an all-in-one and can't really use my scanner feature on this machine, but hey, I can print.

higuy83
Forum Regular
Nov 20, 2002, 01:45 PM

Hello Casey,

The only thing you can do at this point it throw your iMac out your third level bedroom window, chucking it onto the sharp bed of rocks that rest below your home.

In all honesty, the HP printer is probably the source of your problems. Follow the suggestions slider left for you, and you should see a significant performance boost. Hope I helped...

-Big Boy, Big Boy
15" MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz/320GB/2GB RAM
iPod classic (160 GB)
iPod nano (4 GB)
iPod shuffle (1 GB)

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
Nov 20, 2002, 01:52 PM

HP and their sh�t divers again. Man am I glad I got an Epson!

Avon
Senior User
Nov 20, 2002, 02:15 PM

Originally posted by Yoda's Erotic Piggyback:
HP and their sh�t divers again. Man am I glad I got an Epson!
ARGGGGGGGGGGGG.

I wish I would have bought an Epson.

Id really like to thank the open source comunity and especialy all thoes that contribute to the HPIJS project. They have made my POS HP 1115 usefull.

Can you imagine spending 200 bucks on a printer that up until Mac OS 10.2 did not work??!!!!!!! Shame on HP. I am no longer an HP customer.

mrchin
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 20, 2002, 02:38 PM

My Epson 1200's working perfectly. And now, under 10.2.2, I get to dock (fully operational) in under 45 seconds from a cold boot. And this is on a single QS 867. This may have been around since 10.2 but I rarely shutdown to notice this speed earlier.

The only reason I shutdown last night was to check how the new EyeTV software worked. And lo and behold, my system both awoke and cold booted on schedule to launch and start recording my programs. Nice!
Dual 2.0 G5/2.5GB/ATI 9800 Pro | MacBook Pro 2.16 Gore Duo/2GB/ATI X1600

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 20, 2002, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by mrchin:
My Epson 1200's working perfectly. And now, under 10.2.2, I get to dock (fully operational) in under 45 seconds from a cold boot. And this is on a single QS 867. This may have been around since 10.2 but I rarely shutdown to notice this speed earlier.

The only reason I shutdown last night was to check how the new EyeTV software worked. And lo and behold, my system both awoke and cold booted on schedule to launch and start recording my programs. Nice!
Are there drivers out for the Epson Photo 1200?? I have one, but it's sitting in my closet collecting dust. I gave up on Epson a while ago. Please tell me there are drivers for it!

But in the mean time, I'm using an HP DeskJet 810C. It seems to work fine. If there is a slow down, I haven't noticed it. Hmm.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2002, 03:15 PM

Well, it's not ALL HPs as I don't have any slow down issues with my HP and driver.

Also, I'd take an HP any day over an Epson, espeically after they dropped my old printer support leaving me no choice but to upgrade for X, and I didn't get another Epson. This HP will kill any $200 Epson hands down and it's FAR quieter.

The slow down is also being caused by certain backup power supplies, so don't lay the blame solely on HP.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Avon
Senior User
Nov 20, 2002, 03:56 PM

Originally posted by ::maroma:::

Are there drivers out for the Epson Photo 1200?? I have one, but it's sitting in my closet collecting dust. I gave up on Epson a while ago. Please tell me there are drivers for it!

But in the mean time, I'm using an HP DeskJet 810C. It seems to work fine. If there is a slow down, I haven't noticed it. Hmm.
If you are runing 10.2 there are printer drivers for almost any printer. I bet you will have a hard time finding a printer without drivers. They can be found in the previous links. Get HPIJS if you have an HP, or the Gimp-Print drivers if you have something else or both if you want to have them all.

I agree HP makes the best hardware by far. Tray loading and having the heads on the print cartdridge is really key for me. I am really pissed I could not use my printer untill 10.2 came out. I had the worst problems with it.

Also, if you don't notice a slowdown, do a to"top -u" in the terminal.
If you see HP comunications taking up processing power, get rid of thoes drivers and use the open source ones. Your computer wil be faster. After a few days, Hp comunications would goble up close to 100% of the resources and my computer would be slow as dirt. (G4/400) Oh, and btw, the hp drivers didnt even work in 10.1 on my computer!!!

Avon
Senior User
Nov 20, 2002, 04:00 PM

Originally posted by KidRed:

The slow down is also being caused by certain backup power supplies, so don't lay the blame solely on HP.
KidRed, I agree, HP has better hardware. Eveyone knows it and loves the hardware. Even though I now hate HP, I really dont konw what printer i can buy in the future. I really need it to be tray loading and have the print heads on the cartridge. They should be ashamed of thier horrid software though.

Do you have a newer faster mac? If you do maybe you dont knotice the slowdown

Can you please do a "top -u" in the terminal and report back to us? Id like to see how much of your processor HP is eating up, if any.

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2002, 04:14 PM

The HP printer problem is only for a certain subset of HP printers. So not everyone with an HP is affected. It depends on what model and therefore which drivers are installed. For a DeskJet 970cxi, the driver does not have an HP Communication process.
Vandelay Industries

KidRed
Professional Poster
Nov 20, 2002, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Avon:

KidRed, I agree, HP has better hardware. Eveyone knows it and loves the hardware. Even though I now hate HP, I really dont konw what printer i can buy in the future. I really need it to be tray loading and have the print heads on the cartridge. They should be ashamed of thier horrid software though.

Do you have a newer faster mac? If you do maybe you dont knotice the slowdown

Can you please do a "top -u" in the terminal and report back to us? Id like to see how much of your processor HP is eating up, if any.
I ran top and couldn't find anything HP or related. Is there another name it would go by? I have a dual gig, but I would still notice a slow down ( as I did with more then 2 haxies from unsanity installed)

I used to love Epson, they shafted me and HP worked out the box for X way back at version 10.1 or so. My HP is a 940c and is 10x quieter then my 2 previous Epsons, one being my wife's 777i which an airplane. Don't be too mad at HP as the problem is not nailed down to just HP and if they are involved it's not all of them. Get the 940c and you'll be very happy. As I stated above, some ADC backup power supplies cause the slow down as well and do that kernal_task spike thing.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

Yoda's Erotic Piggyback
Banned
Nov 20, 2002, 04:48 PM

Nevermind the better HP hardware, the software even without the slowdown sucks!

My Epson Drivers are from 13 months ago and they have worked with every OS release with no updates needed.

c_rowe  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 20, 2002, 06:51 PM

Thanks so much Slider now my computer runs great!
c_rowe

moofman
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 20, 2002, 06:56 PM

Apparently there is also a problem in OS 10.2.2 itself. I called them the other day and the guy had just gotten an email about this. First boot up off of a system disc and run disk utilitiy. Find Repair Disk Permissions and do that. If that doesn't work start up in single user mode, go to Library/Receipts and delete the 10.2.2 update package and reinstall 10.2.2.

Forum Links
Forum Rules