Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Can I use this ram in Lombard???

Can I use this ram in Lombard???
pete
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2003, 08:56 AM

Hi,

I want to upgrade my mother's lombard so she can run X better. There's a price difference between Lombard and Pismo ram, but the specs seem to be the same, except that the pismo is low profile. Am I missing something, or can I use this ram for the lombard? I know that PC100 is comp. with PC66 so that's not a problem, but is there anything else I should be cautious about?

I would like to get two of these and put in the upper and lower slots in the LOmbard. Will that work?

Thanks

http://eshop.macsales.com/Catalog_Pa...Book&Template=

256MB CL2 PC100 2-2-2 LowProfile SO-DIMM all Apple iBook Models, PowerBook G3 FireWire(Pismo), PowerBook G4/400-500MHz. Lifetime Warranty! (OWC100SO256328)
$35.95

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 27, 2003, 10:15 AM

should work fine in the lombard. Don't know why they're selling it specifically for pismo.

I have two 256 low-profile pc100 in my lombard.
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

pete  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 4, 2003, 11:42 PM

I bought the ram and am now visiting my mother in Europe. It doesn't work. I tried installing one 256mb module in the lower and one in the upper and I was automatically put into open firmware mode when i rebooted (never been there before...). then I tried leaving the original 64 mb module in the bottom and the 256 in the top and the computer only recognized 128mb of the 256....total 192.

Very frustrating since I can't return them now and also don't know where to get cheap ram her.

Am I missing something????

Thanks...any suggestions MUCH appreciated.

legionare
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 5, 2003, 11:49 AM

I experienced the same thing a few years ago. Lombards should use PC66 RAM chips. The Pismo uses PC100 RAM chips. While PC100 is backward-compatible, there's a limitation on the Lombard motherboard that limits its ability to recognize high-density non-PC66 RAM chips. I had a 256MB PC100 chip (from memorytogo.com) in the Lombard that's seen as 128MB, until I swapped it out into my current Pismo and it's indeed a 256MB.

Forum Links
Forum Rules