Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > 10.4.4 ?

10.4.4 ? (Page 2)
kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2005, 01:58 AM

Are there any carbon apps that you can activate the dictionary, spell checker, etc.?

TheSpaz
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2005, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Catfish_Man
Carbon gets a bad rep for two reasons: the first (and primary one) is that all the old OS9 apps were ported over using it, and naturally they act like OS9 apps. The second is that it's harder to work with than Cocoa, so more developer time is put into just getting things working, and less into polishing it. However, what a lot of people don't realize is that Carbon is both faster (in general) and more complete (in general) than Cocoa, with the result that many Cocoa apps use Carbon internally for certain things.

<edit> For stuff that isn't extremely performance-sensitive (i.e. just about everything), and stuff that's possible to do from Cocoa (most stuff), I do prefer Cocoa. It's just easier and faster to work with, and happy programmers == good code </edit>
Thanks for the explaination. I always thought Cocoa was slower but, I didn't know for sure. I just knew that there were more things you could do with Cocoa such as spectial effects and stuff.

jreades
Dec 24, 2005, 11:43 AM

For me it was all about Spotlight.

After nine years in the tech sector I went back to grad school for urban planning. These days, most research journal articles are available for download as PDFs. I also have a huge email box to search for technical information relating to my degree.

I can't begin to tell you how much time Spotlight has saved me -- need to track down a reference among 20 articles? Spotlight to the rescue. Need to find all emails to a Professor whether they are stored locally or on an IMAP server? Spotlight again.

Aside from that I could have happily stayed with Panther. But Spotlight has done wonders for my research and work.

Cheers,

jon

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2005, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by kcmac
Are there any carbon apps that you can activate the dictionary, spell checker, etc.?

It can be done and I am working on it to include in my app. Not that it is really needed, but just because I can.

http://developer.apple.com/samplecod...rbonCocoa.html

abrody
Dec 24, 2005, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by Goldfinger
Seriously, there are no features that "worked better" under Panther.
Find file when you aren't looking for content. Searching files was so much better under Panther, I've had to resort to Devon Technologies Easy Find when I want to find something quit and not wait for Spotlight to get me there.

Not that I don't like Spotlight. I just don't like it when it interferes with the way I operate when Find File was able to
do that without a problem under Panther. Find by content and Find by file name are separate functions which should run on separate programs.
Check out my index of over 300 Macintosh sites, with links updated monthly at:
http://www.index-site.com

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2005, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by SMacTech
It can be done and I am working on it to include in my app. Not that it is really needed, but just because I can.

http://developer.apple.com/samplecod...rbonCocoa.html
Well, that is the spell checker, not the dictionary/thesaurus.

What do you mean it is not needed? Drives me crazy when I want to look up the meaning of a word or find a new one and can't do it because I'm using a carbon app.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 11:40 AM

Well, that is the spell checker, not the dictionary/thesaurus.

What do you mean it is not needed? Drives me crazy when I want to look up the meaning of a word or find a new one and can't do it because I'm using a carbon app.

Yes, that is for a spell checker which your original question asked about.

Why would someone need a spell checker in a point-of-sale program? Convenience, maybe, not a really needed feature.

Fonzie
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 25, 2005, 12:27 PM

I look forward to 10.4.4 to see if Apple has done anything to prevent the Dashboard problem that arises with a couple of users. There are some who gets 2 very unusual widgets in their Widget Manager with odd names that they can't get rid of.
There's No Offposition On the Genius Switch - David Letterman

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2005, 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by SMacTech
Yes, that is for a spell checker which your original question asked about.

Why would someone need a spell checker in a point-of-sale program? Convenience, maybe, not a really needed feature.
Cocoa apps use the system spell checker. Cocoa apps also are able to click a command key and hover over words showing you the meaning or alternate words. Do any carbon apps do this?

That was my original thought.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2005, 09:58 AM

What I would really like to see in 10.4.4 is better drivers for 3rd party USB 2.0 cards. I had to get one so I could plug in my new iPod. Now if the computer goes to sleep with anything plugged into one of the new ports it freezes. I even got rid of the first card I bought and swapped it for one recommended by Apple. Same problem.

I haven't seen this in the list of fixes going around but I can hope.

barney ntd
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2005, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jonesy
Now if the computer goes to sleep with anything plugged into one of the new ports it freezes.
I have almost the same problem, but leaving usb 1.1 devices plugged into the usb 2.0 card is ok. All the usb 2.0 devices I have tried have to be unplugged for sleep, but I have three usb 1 devices permanently connected. Have you tried a usb 2.0 hub? I'm wondering whether to get one, but there's no point if it stops sleep working.

Barney.

Jonesy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 28, 2005, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by barney ntd
I have almost the same problem, but leaving usb 1.1 devices plugged into the usb 2.0 card is ok. All the usb 2.0 devices I have tried have to be unplugged for sleep, but I have three usb 1 devices permanently connected. Have you tried a usb 2.0 hub? I'm wondering whether to get one, but there's no point if it stops sleep working.

Barney.
I have a USB 2.0 hub. If anything is powered up and plugged into the card or the hub it causes this problem. The Apple discussion boards are full of comments about this. The most annoying thing is that I sent my first card back a got another card that Apple recommend on their website. The problems are now worse than with the old card.

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 28, 2005, 02:30 PM

Cocoa apps use the system spell checker. Cocoa apps also are able to click a command key and hover over words showing you the meaning or alternate words. Do any carbon apps do this?

That was my original thought.
Yes, Carbon apps can do the exact same thing. Download ConceptQ, run a simple search (or let it read a document on your hard drive), select a key word/phrase, open up a Report and Control-Command-D over any word you want.

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2005, 02:42 AM

All Carbon apps using HITextView get the dictionary automatically. Unfortunately there's a bug currently so it's not working, but it should in the future.

doublep  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2005, 05:43 AM

Twelve days since I started this thread.... And it's still not there! Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait a couple more weeks...

MDA
Forum Regular
Dec 30, 2005, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by doublep
Twelve days since I started this thread.... And it's still not there! Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait a couple more weeks...
This from LoopRumors:

"A reliable source tells LoopRumors that Apple will unveil the next update in the sequence of Mac OS X Tiger releases on January 10, 2006. Previous reports pointed to the middle of December, however, new information suggests that 10.4.4 will be the first release compiled specifically for Intel processors, and will be available on January 10th. The update is said to consist of 120 bug fixes with targeted areas that include iPod integration, Audio, AppleScript, Bluetooth, CoreImage, Dashboard widgets, DVD Player, iMovie, GarageBand, Graphics (specifically Quartz), Graphics Drivers, iChat (specifically Video Conferencing), Safari, Sync Services and Spotlight."

TheoCryst
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2005, 11:13 AM

I guess it makes more sense... after all, Apple has to convince the world that there are no differences between the Intel and PPC compiles of Tiger. What better way to do it than to release both versions of 10.4.4 on the same day?

Any ramblings are entirely my own, and do not represent those of my employers, coworkers, friends, or species

booboo
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2005, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by alphasubzero949
It was funny five years ago.
And it's funny now!

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2005, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by saddino
Yes, Carbon apps can do the exact same thing. Download ConceptQ, run a simple search (or let it read a document on your hard drive), select a key word/phrase, open up a Report and Control-Command-D over any word you want.
That app costs $20 and is not quite as simple as just hovering over a word. Interesting if you maybe are really deeply researching something. I am usually just looking for a quick meaning or alternate word.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2005, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
All Carbon apps using HITextView get the dictionary automatically. Unfortunately there's a bug currently so it's not working, but it should in the future.
Does the MS Office suite use HITextView? Hopefully so. I would really like to see everything get this great feature soon.

ValkRaider
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2005, 01:12 AM

but what if there were 100 bozos?
We would call it "internet".

I hope that there are some SSH improvements. The last security update which changed something in SSH affected my tunneling.

Now when I pipe my traffic through my SSH tunnel I constantly get "NSURLErrorDomain:-1005" and lose my network connection. Some things recover nicely, but Safari just craps out all the time and I have to reload. I can't download anything remotely large.

I can't nail it down, so I hope they update SSH in 10.4.4....

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 31, 2005, 03:20 AM

Does the MS Office suite use HITextView?
No. They need their own custom view to render a Word document. That is what makes Word Word after all. The HITextViews capabilities are that of a simple RichText editor. It is still possible to support the dictionary in a custom view, but you don't get this feature automatically then. Microsoft has to explicitly implement it. Usually Microsoft is slow in implementing such system integration features (see Services).

saddino
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2005, 01:03 PM

That app costs $20 and is not quite as simple as just hovering over a word. Interesting if you maybe are really deeply researching something. I am usually just looking for a quick meaning or alternate word.
Oops, you misunderstood me, I wasn't suggesting that the app was a replacement for the hovering. It's just an example of a Carbon app that allows the hovering you asked about.

So to answer your question again: yep, Carbon apps can do it too. It's not a Cocoa only thing.

Grrr
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 2, 2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by booboo
And it's funny now!

It really isn't. Unless you are 'Captain Corny'
The worst thing about having a failing memory is..... no, it's gone.

kcmac
Mac Elite
Jan 2, 2006, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
No. They need their own custom view to render a Word document. That is what makes Word Word after all. The HITextViews capabilities are that of a simple RichText editor. It is still possible to support the dictionary in a custom view, but you don't get this feature automatically then. Microsoft has to explicitly implement it. Usually Microsoft is slow in implementing such system integration features (see Services).
Thanks Tetenal. Kind of figured that. Just another reason I only use Word when absolutely necessary at work.

Forum Links
Forum Rules