Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > J2SE 5.0 Release 4 in Software Update

J2SE 5.0 Release 4 in Software Update
Apfhex
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 06:42 PM

I haven't installed it yet but will later this afternoon. Makes J2SE 5.0 the default instead of 1.4.2 (I've already been running 5.0 Release 3 as default with no problems).

Java 2 Standard Edition (J2SE) 5.0 Release 4 delivers improved reliability and compatibility for Java 2 Platform Standard Edition 5.0 on Mac OS X v10.4.5 and later. This release includes J2SE version 1.5.0_06. With this update J2SE 5.0 becomes the preferred Java version, superseding Java 1.4.2. Java 1.4.2 is still installed on your machine, but applications will run with J2SE 5.0 unless they specifically request Java 1.4.2.

For more details on this Update, please visit this website: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302983
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2006, 08:06 PM

Installed.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Apr 18, 2006, 08:11 PM

Ummm... so what will this do?

pendragon
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 19, 2006, 07:46 AM

While no restart is required by the installer, I did notice that after the download & install, and immediately (re)running the SW Update, I was advised that Java 5.0 was (still) required. A restart resolved that issue.
Harv
27" i7 iMac (10.10.3), iPhone 5 (iOS 8.3)
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. ~Voltaire

rickey939
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2006, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by pendragon
While no restart is required by the installer, I did notice that after the download & install, and immediately (re)running the SW Update, I was advised that Java 5.0 was (still) required. A restart resolved that issue.
Hmmm, that didn't happen here. Odd.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2006, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
Ummm... so what will this do?
Good question.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

addiecool
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2006, 02:11 PM

yeah exactly.... what does it do. No issues resolved here. Java problems remin the same.... ????
iMac Intel Core Duo 2.0 Ghz 20", 1.5 GB RAM, 250GB
iMac G5 2.0 Ghz 17", 512 MB RAM, 160GB
iPod Video 5G 60GB White
Mighty Mouse sucks - "Bought the Logitech 518 Gaming mouse"
USB 2.0 Hard Drive Sucked - "Bought a Firewire Hard Disk"

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 19, 2006, 02:53 PM

Which Java problems?

Apfhex  (op)
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2006, 06:16 PM

I looked through the ADC Java Reference Library but couldn't find any info on Release 4. "Numerous enhancements" and "compatibility with Sun's Java 2 Platform Standard Edition, version 5.0 (1.5.0_06)" can't be a bad thing though, ne? It might make the biggest difference to people who were running 1.4.2 as the preferred version.
Mac OS X 10.5.0, Mac Pro 2.66GHz/2 GB RAM/X1900 XT, 23" ACD
esdesign

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2006, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by addiecool
yeah exactly.... what does it do. No issues resolved here. Java problems remin the same.... ????
Which Java problems are you talking about. I just hate when people say there's a problem with something but don't back it up.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 19, 2006, 08:09 PM

Well, some people did have considerable problems after the last Java update, which is why I never installed the previous one on my G5.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Well, some people did have considerable problems after the last Java update, which is why I never installed the previous one on my G5.

My point is when and if people have problems with new software or firmware downloads then it's important for them to mention what problems they are having instead of just saying, "Problems haven't been fixed and nothing has changed". Maybe those few people are the only ones having problems and maybe someone here could be helpful to solve them. Many people have so much crap on their computers including tons of beta software and drivers that are not Apple supported and when they download new updates their computer seems to die or crash or get kernal panics for some strange reason. I wonder why???
They immediately blame the update from Apple instead of figuring out what they have done to cause the problem.
I have a 17" Powerbook and a 2.3Ghz dualie PM and have had zero issues with any of Apple's updates in Tiger. Some things Apple promises to fix may not get fixed for everyone so this why it's important for people to post what the problems are. Hope this makes sense now.
iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2006, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by hldan
Which Java problems are you talking about. I just hate when people say there's a problem with something but don't back it up.
Reminds me of one of my support calls today.

From a frantic customer "I updated the software today and now I cannot adjust that blue box in the middle of the window."

Forum Links
Forum Rules