Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > C & C 3

C & C 3
bearcatrp
Senior User
Aug 22, 2007, 10:24 AM

Anyone going to buy C & C 3? Thinking on getting this but want to hear from folks who have played this on there macs to see how it runs under the cider software. Wish they would have made it without cider.
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2007, 11:45 PM

If they made it without Cider it would be released in Summer 2009 I doubt there'd be much loss in speed, beats booting into BootCamp to play a game.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2007, 06:17 PM

Bought it at the NYC Fifth Ave store yesterday, and have a couple of comments -

It takes a very long time to load. When you launch the app, it sits for very long time (1 min or so on my MBP) on the loading screen.

At least one of the GDI missions seems to be bugged. On the retake the White House mission, if any Nod forces get inside my perimeter my units stop targeting them. Adding stealth detection units doesn't seem to help. Just now, a Black Hand unit got in my perimeter and proceeded to kill every unit and destroy every base structure, completely unopposed.

For now, it's going back on the shelf, at least until an update comes out.

bearcatrp  (op)
Senior User
Aug 26, 2007, 07:47 PM

How much ram do you have in your MBP? I have 2 gb in my iMac so was hoping this would surfice. Could be the cider software dragging it down. Were your graphics setting on high or low?
Randy
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

justinkim
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 26, 2007, 08:04 PM

2GB. I don't remember all of the graphics settings, but I believe most of them were auto-set to "low".

edge.it
Forum Regular
Aug 26, 2007, 08:23 PM

i bought it this morning, after weeks of anticipation. and its already posted on ebay (or if anyone wnats to BUY IT HERE let me know)

IM NOT IMPRESSED.

BUYING BATTLEFIELD 2142 NEXT. hopefully thats better.

macpro 2.66 | 4GB | 7 TB
macbook pro 2.4i5 | 4GB | 500GB 7200rpm
technic 1210 M5G

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Aug 26, 2007, 09:32 PM

From these comments, I'm going to be disappointed. I have both games on the PC, and was really looking forward to them for Mac. They're both amazing games.

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 27, 2007, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by edge.it View Post
...BUYING BATTLEFIELD 2142 NEXT. hopefully thats better.
Please let us know what you think of BF2142. I'm anxious to get it...

nathanxu
Forum Regular
Sep 10, 2007, 11:14 PM

I am surpised the new C & C is that bad. Command and Concquer game has always been the game I've played. What kind of up grade could be out there? By the way, does anybody know who sales it in Australia.
iMac 24 Inch, 2.93 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR2 SDRAM, 640 GB Hard drive, 256 MB NVIDIA
iPhone5 64GB Black
1TB Time Capsule

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2007, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by nathanxu View Post
I am surpised the new C & C is that bad. Command and Concquer game has always been the game I've played. What kind of up grade could be out there? By the way, does anybody know who sales it in Australia.
The PC version is fine, its just the Ciderized version for Mac that has issues. And I'm sorry, but I can't answer your other question.

cgc
Professional Poster
Sep 12, 2007, 08:13 PM

According to Apple's site which has reviews for games, BF2142 is a piece of crap.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 12, 2007, 09:40 PM

According to the reviews on the store, C&C3 is absolutely great with the latest patch. Maybe I should get it anyway?

It seems Cider wasn't the super solution that EA and Apple made it out to be for simultaneous releases, but that it still needs a lot of tweaking to get it right.

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

jjess14
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 12, 2007, 10:34 PM

i love use in the scrin they are the best army in the game i cant wait to unlock the missions for them

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 18, 2007, 09:10 AM

The game runs, and plays fine, with the latest patch. I'm mostly through the first set of mission. Quite the fun game.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 18, 2007, 07:52 PM

Runs great on my Mac Pro as long as I don't put Shadow and PixelShaders to maximum setting.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Sep 19, 2007, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Adam Betts View Post
Runs great on my Mac Pro as long as I don't put Shadow and PixelShaders to maximum setting.
Thats pathetic. Cider is horrible. A Mac Pro can't run C&C 3 with everything on maximum settings?

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 19, 2007, 04:36 PM

I turned the shadows off anyway. Unless they are on the highest setting it's just a distracting pixellated mess.

Great game though. I'm on Act III of the GDI missions. It's really got that old school feel to it with the FMVs and the Dune 2esque mechanics. Love it.

alex_kac
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 20, 2007, 12:47 AM

Depends on his graphics card - not his CPU. Mac Pro or MacBook Pro doesn't matter, they both have the CPU horsepower. Its the GPU that's the question.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Sep 20, 2007, 09:59 PM

Wow, I finished up all the GDI missions the other day. Nice. The game is quite challanging and fun to play! I`ve been playing on Normal settings and found the last few missions quite difficult to beat. Can`t wait to get to some of the more difficult NOD missions.

I like how they use real actors for their cut scenes. Nice. Very nice. (and hotnessssssss!!!!!)

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 20, 2007, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
I like how they use real actors for their cut scenes. Nice. Very nice. (and hotnessssssss!!!!!)
That's been a staple for the C&C series since the beginning. FMV games (not just cutscenes) were quite common in the mid nineties (Ah, the days of the CD-ROM revolution ). Sadly not any more (due to the enormous cost involved).

Sure it's hammy, but it's also very entertaining and engrossing.

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 21, 2007, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
Thats pathetic. Cider is horrible. A Mac Pro can't run C&C 3 with everything on maximum settings?
Originally Posted by alex_kac View Post
Depends on his graphics card - not his CPU. Mac Pro or MacBook Pro doesn't matter, they both have the CPU horsepower. Its the GPU that's the question.
Mine's Radeon X1900 so I'm sure it's just Cider needing some optimizing. I've tried Windows version of C&C3 on same machine and it ran flawless. Give Cider a year or two and it should be pretty good.

MacUser001, everything is on maximum settings, 1920x1200 resolution and PixelShader is at 3/4 setting & Shadow at 1/4 setting so it isn't THAT bad.

BTW simple C&C 3 icon replacement if anyone wants it:

Download

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Sep 21, 2007, 07:48 PM

Great icon Adam! I snagged it. It doesn't scale very well downwards though unfortunately.

Oh, and is it just me or did the difficulty ramp up a billion times from Act II to Act III?

And how DOES that officer have time to perfect her eyelashes in a time of war?

Forum Links
Forum Rules