Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15 AlumiBook and Norton Utilities

15 AlumiBook and Norton Utilities
TAZ
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2003, 07:51 PM

I recently got a new 15 PB. I ran Norton Utilities and received a Serious error notice stating that I needed to reboot from the disk and then fix the problem that way. I try to reboot from the disk and no luck. I get a bunch of CD noises and the grey start up screen which turns blue and nothing happens. It eventually boots from the HD. I thought that this was strange, so I tried booting from the disk that came with my Apple Care packet. Same deal. Grey screen, lots of CD whirring screen goes blue and then nothing. Anyone have ideas???

dialo
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 08:37 PM

Norton Utilities is horrid. Throw it out. I have had to reformat my disk thanks to it, and have heard similar experiences from others.

jersey
Senior User
Sep 29, 2003, 08:59 PM

ditto here. same thing happened to myself and a friend. burn that software to a disc and throw it in the fire. its horrid.

agentmouthwash
Forum Regular
Sep 29, 2003, 09:41 PM

I agree. DISKWARRIOR is so much better then Norton. It did wonders for me.
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 05:40 AM

Diskwarrior is the way to go... if you have that, use it and see if it will fix it.

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2003, 01:46 PM

This is problem everytime new models come out--it has nothing whatsoever to do with whether NUM is a good product or a bad product.

The new AlBooks run only under 10.2.7 and won't startup under 10.2.6. That's just the way it is--and the same thing used to happen whenever new models came out in OS 9. The NUM CD has a previous system version on it, and the new models won't start with that system version.

The way to get around this is to have 2 partitions, with a startup system and utilities on each partition. Or, an external firewire HD.

Version 2.0 of Norton Systemworks installed a kext in the Jaguar, which is a no-no. Version 3.0 doesn't do that. I've run NUM over many years, dating back to System 7, and on a network of 20 Macs, and have never had a problem that was caused by Norton. They wouldn't be in business if they put out a product that damaged HDs. Most people have problems with HD maintenance that is totally unrelated to NUM, but it gets blamed anyway. It's the old propensity to blame the messenger.

Back to your problem: Did you run fsck and what did it say?

dialo
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by amazing:
This is problem everytime new models come out--it has nothing whatsoever to do with whether NUM is a good product or a bad product.

The new AlBooks run only under 10.2.7 and won't startup under 10.2.6. That's just the way it is--and the same thing used to happen whenever new models came out in OS 9. The NUM CD has a previous system version on it, and the new models won't start with that system version.

The way to get around this is to have 2 partitions, with a startup system and utilities on each partition. Or, an external firewire HD.

Version 2.0 of Norton Systemworks installed a kext in the Jaguar, which is a no-no. Version 3.0 doesn't do that. I've run NUM over many years, dating back to System 7, and on a network of 20 Macs, and have never had a problem that was caused by Norton. They wouldn't be in business if they put out a product that damaged HDs. Most people have problems with HD maintenance that is totally unrelated to NUM, but it gets blamed anyway. It's the old propensity to blame the messenger.

Back to your problem: Did you run fsck and what did it say?
It created phantom folders that only showed up in OS 9 and didn't allow OS X to boot. They could not be deleted and didn't really exist. It was as if the disk thought they existed, but they didn't. This was due to running a defrag in norton.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2003, 01:24 PM

I've run many a speeddisk defrag in Norton on Jaguar, and it's never messed up either my OS 9 or X partition. Seriously, the product wouldn't be sold if it damaged your system software. There'd be a storm of protest and bad publicity. They've sold thousands and thousands of Systemworks 3.0, not counting the previous versions.

On the other hand, I always run fsck -y before any repairs, and I always repair permissions after any system software update. There are a ton of other factors that can mess things up during a defrag, such as bad power (voltage surges, brownouts, etc) and even the peripherals you've got plugged in (usb, firewire, hubs, all these things can cause problems.) Bad RAM is another--with the new albooks, apple techs are having people run looping RAM tests for 4 hours or longer, because bad RAM is very hard to detect. Apple says that a wide range of cl3 RAM is acceptable, but that may not be the case, given how many problems people are having.

dialo
Senior User
Oct 1, 2003, 01:52 PM

The whole 'the product wouldn't be sold angle' doesn't cut it. I'm sure if you stop and think you'll see that there are quite a few products that defeat your theory.

BTW: why are you running defrags at all?

TAZ  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 2, 2003, 12:10 AM

Thank for all the replies. I wiped Norton off of the system and did a clean install. Ran TechTool that came with the Apple Care package and everything checked out, HD RAM, VRAM... The strange thing is that the computer still wont boot from anything but the HD or the Restore CD that came with it. I originally tried to boot from the Norton Utility disk to do a defrag and disk check. No luck. After all the hub bub and clean system install I cant get it to boot from the Apple Care CD. It spins up and goes through the grey start up screen. The screen then goes blue, the CD stops spinning and the PB just sits there. If I hit return the disk starts to spin again for a while, but then still nothing happens. Hit return again and it reboots from the HD. Am I just not waiting long enough for the CD boot. It is strange that the computer will boot from the Restore disk, but doesnt appear to be able to boot from any other disk. Wonder what it will do when I finally get Panther. Pay $130 and not be able to boot? That would tick me off Royal like.

Forum Links
Forum Rules