Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Next G5 generation

Next G5 generation (Page 3)
Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2005, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by P:
While the memory controller is not integrated on the chip (which is what really kills latency on the Cell, the Opteron and the Power5), the G5 has a lower memory latency than most chips. The memory bus is split in 2 32 bit unidirectional buses, which means that the latency is lower than one 64 bit bidirectional bus.
See the current page (147) of the arstechnica G5 thread; the G5's latency with a 1GHz+ bus is higher than the G4's 167MHz one. It's not a low latency bus, although it is a terrific one for bandwidth.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Mar 5, 2005, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by hedgehogfrenzy:
When I was at my local mac store to pick up a cable, I was eyeing a G5. One of the associates asked me if I was looking to buy, and I told him that I was checking the rumor sites and being patient till the updates came out. He told me it wouldn't be till June. Don't know how true that is, but figured I'd pass it on.
Well, he wouldn't know either. However, it's a reasonable guess, even if I'm guessing it could come before WWDC. Even if Apple does wait until WWDC to release it though, the good news is that WWDC is at the beginning of June this year. ie. The new Power Macs will be announced in 3 months or less.

Originally posted by P:
While the memory controller is not integrated on the chip (which is what really kills latency on the Cell, the Opteron and the Power5), the G5 has a lower memory latency than most chips. The memory bus is split in 2 32 bit unidirectional buses, which means that the latency is lower than one 64 bit bidirectional bus.
IIRC, the IBM JS20, which uses the G5, does does not do as well on memory intensive benches relative to Opteron.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Mar 5, 2005, 06:05 PM

Hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure that borgobello's specs list smacks of wishful thinking rather than a grounding in fact. Do you really think that we'd go from a $2999 dual-2.5 GHz model to a $1699 dual-2.4 GHz model just like that? Heck, I can't help but think that even my earlier guess of a single-2.3 GHz model may be optimistic, and that we'll get a single 2.0 instead.
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

memyselfandimac
Mar 5, 2005, 09:03 PM

Think everybody is under estimating how in the loop Apple is with IBM at the moment. Given what IBM has done with the Power5 and is currently doing with the Cell to think Apple doesn't have something in labs right at this moment is insane, would think a Dual core G6 is not out of the question very soon. With IBM's cookie cutter, roll your own approach to processor design they seem to have taken over the last 2-3 yrs theres no limit to what the inventive folks over at Apple could be cooking up right now.

How about a Dual - Dual core Power5 derivative with 4 SPE per chip, or a Dual core G6 with a custom designed Cell based co-processor for off loading the non - Altivec instuctions to. The configurations and possibilities are endless.

Bright times are ahead for the Power/IBM and Apple, a great tsunami is fixing to sweep over the Wintel world and wash them away so that that there is balance and competitiveness never before seen in the computer industry. Throw in OS X and Apple software and the iPod halo effect and we going to see a mass migration of people moving to other platforms, I can already see lots of it happening around me, a lot of people who I've helped switch or add a Mac have thanked me over and over again for showing them that there is another alternative out there. Asking me why their Gamer/Lamer nephew or the MCSE neighbor always said Macs were lame, overpriced computers when they in fact have found out for themselves that they are in every way on par or superior with anything in the Wintel world has.

The Ancient One
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2005, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by Commodus:
Hate to say it, but I'm pretty sure that borgobello's specs list smacks of wishful thinking rather than a grounding in fact. Do you really think that we'd go from a $2999 dual-2.5 GHz model to a $1699 dual-2.4 GHz model just like that? Heck, I can't help but think that even my earlier guess of a single-2.3 GHz model may be optimistic, and that we'll get a single 2.0 instead.
You may very well be correct, however if, after the gestation period of an elephant, Apple gives birth to a mouse, I will be quite disappointed. Unless it's a two-button mouse, of course.
The first commandment of ALL religions is to provide a comfortable living for the priesthood.

Hyperchaotic
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2005, 09:05 AM

It annoys me that the top MHz G5 only comes as DP right now.

I dont need DP at all. I would really really like to see the top MHz G5 offered in a single processor configuration, so I could get a top performer (for my simple purposes) a slightly lower price.

Ofcourse, if the coveted 980 only comes a dual core, but cheaper than a "traditional" DP configuration I wouldn't mind one bit ;-)

hart
Senior User
Mar 6, 2005, 09:33 AM

so what we have here is a bunch of pure speculation, not even a solid rumor type thing to go on. Absolutely nothing in rumor sites.

ARGH!!

Call me spoiled but when I have a bunch of apps open and my DP G4 1ghz sputters before a task I'm starting to get irritated. I want MORE!! and I want it NOW!!

END OF MARCH!! END OF MARCH!!

(don't mind me)

borgobello
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2005, 10:57 AM

> You may very well be correct, however if, after the gestation period
> of an elephant, Apple gives birth to a mouse, I will be quite
> disappointed. Unless it's a two-button mouse, of course.

I say I'm guessing. But there's some fact behind my guess. One of them is the gestation period; I'm sure that a simple speed bump like 2.8/2.5/2.3 was possible in January, with faster DL superdrives, bigger HD, new mouse (I'm sure of this, thinking about new Powerbook trackpads) and a littel graphic improvement (all thing's available on today's PC)...except processors, of course, but if they can put a 2.3Ghz in Xserve, they can put an 2.5 on PowerMac without liquid-cooling, so 2.8 should be possible with liquid-cooling. You know, they didn't.
On the other side, Cell an Power5 go froward, and at the time G5 come out, people at Apple sawed that new Apple processors will be developed together with IBM new one's, and not derived form a pretty old one (like 970/Power4), gaining an year ore more advantage over the wintel's. This make me guess that Apple's Power5 processor should be ready. The lack of information and the effort from Apple to maintain top secret on his variant of processor develop, is another signal that something big is happening. And why they didn't a speed bump in January, it should happen in no more than a month. On the other side I think they wouldn't go to close to Tiger lunch (that seems sure will be in June), and with delayed availability, the top PowerMac will be availability at half of may. After trumpet of new PowerMac's are down, they will be ready for a great Tiger lunch. And I think anybody is thinking they can wait after Tiger lunch to upgrade PowerMac's without a speed bump (more than a year from the last speed bump).
Another consideration is how Apple is silent on lack of new processors: do you remember with G4, haw much we read about Steve's anger to Moto?
And with G5 lunch IBM has demonstrated how they can be before Intel and AMD with processor technologies, now Intel and AMD are coming to IBM's territory (IBM has a far larger experience on multi core processor), should IBM remain behind?
Price drops should be in the cards too. Equivalent PC's price are dropped down, Apple is Apple, but they can't be to much more expensive. With MacMini they have demonstrated that they can afford a price war, and with the help of iPod popularity, now it's the moment to be aggressive and try to gain market share.
With all of this consideration, my configuration are however an hazard, but I think they are in the cards!

P.S. If the don't come out before the end of the month I'll go crazy

borgobello
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2005, 11:11 AM

> I dont need DP at all. I would really really like to see the top MHz
> G5 offered in a single processor configuration, so I could get a top
> performer (for my simple purposes) a slightly lower price.

For a lot time I was wondering way not to make Dual processor a BTO option. Now I'm hoping to see more DP ore DC, with more software support for this technologie, that can result in better performer at same price. Look PC's, two P4 3000 are less expansive than one P4 3600, and if SW will be written with DP in mind, I'm sure that 2x3000 are far better performing than a singole P4x3600 (I know, P4 can not go DP, it's only a price consideration).

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 6, 2005, 11:11 AM

Originally posted by borgobello:
P.S. If the don't come out before the end of the month I'll go crazy [/B]
Well, I am with you on that one.

It all sounds good and plausible, but still Apple has been known to wait too long in the past.

Good points though. I think Apple should get the PowerMac and iMac bumps out of the way before Tiger. That way they can demo them with Tiger and spend a ton of time on it.

I also think that they will drop the top end line prices as they have seemed to start to get more and more price competitive (Shuffle/Mini).

As much as it hurts, I am not buying in till they update it, hoping they drop the display prices again otherwise I might end up with one of those 24" Dells.

BZ

borgobello
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2005, 12:37 PM

Do you really think that we'd go from a $2999 dual-2.5 GHz model to a $1699 dual-2.4 GHz model just like that?
Yes, like somewhat we had with G5 introduction. Top PM was G4 1.42DP and we get G5 1.6, not DP but 64bit, 800Mhz FSB, DDR333, ecc...

pcd2k
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 6, 2005, 06:48 PM

Yesterday I was keen to show a friend an image of the dual 2.5 interior, ie the car radiator cooling system, but had no luck. I kept on clicking the dual 2.5 links and all fouund was http://www.apple.com/powermac/design.html
So has Apple quitely updated the cooling system of the flagship already ? Does this mean that the original cooling system (the car radiator one) has dropped out of the line or what. I thought I'd saved an image of it, but alas no, well has someone got a link to that particulatr image anyway ?

hedgehogfrenzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 6, 2005, 09:33 PM

Yesterday I was keen to show a friend an image of the dual 2.5 interior, ie the car radiator cooling system, but had no luck. I kept on clicking the dual 2.5 links and all fouund was http://www.apple.com/powermac/design.html
So has Apple quitely updated the cooling system of the flagship already ? Does this mean that the original cooling system (the car radiator one) has dropped out of the line or what. I thought I'd saved an image of it, but alas no, well has someone got a link to that particulatr image anyway ?
Apple hasn't changed their cooling system. Infact, your link was the correct one to lead right to the animation that shows the cooling system. Just click on the drawing of the processor and fans. That is the same animation that they have had since day 1 of the G5 line.

- David

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 7, 2005, 09:09 AM

Unrolling AltiVec, Part 1: Introducing the PowerPC SIMD unit

The only processors currently supporting AltiVec are the G4 and G5. The G4 (including model numbers 7400 and 7410) and G4+ (7450 and 7455) processors are made by Motorola. (There are more models than just the ones listed here, but these are the most widely discussed.) The G5 chips include the IBM 970, 970FX, and 970GX; these are essentially POWER4� cores with an AltiVec unit bolted on. So far, only PowerPC� processors have had AltiVec support, not the POWER� line. If you want to buy "a computer with AltiVec," Apple's Mac line is your most likely option. For evaluation boards and custom designs, however, you can go with any of the many vendors who do development kits based on either the G4 or G5.

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 7, 2005, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by hedgehogfrenzy:
Apple hasn't changed their cooling system. Infact, your link was the correct one to lead right to the animation that shows the cooling system. Just click on the drawing of the processor and fans. That is the same animation that they have had since day 1 of the G5 line.

- David
Hey! Just like the "Air Conditioning" at the 14th Street subway.

hedgehogfrenzy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2005, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by elvis2000:

Hey! Just like the "Air Conditioning" at the 14th Street subway.
Nice comparison. lol.....

- David

borgobello
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 7, 2005, 04:49 PM

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...ipschall4.html

IBM and Apple will have an alliance together. You will once again see Mac 'clones' made by none other than IBM. They will once again enter the market, but with the PPC-based CPU chip ... On the top end I easily see dual-core-, dual-processor-based systems with a VMware-type solution built into the main board. Run Apple's OS X in one virtual environment and your typical Linux�-type operating system in the other."

/cut

IBM, having already released the PowerPC� 980 in time for June's Apple Worldwide Development Conference, will continue with a release of the PowerPC 990 in September; at that point, the numbers will roll over, heralding the release of the PowerPC 000 two weeks later.

booboo
Mac Elite
Mar 7, 2005, 08:04 PM

IBM and Apple will have an alliance together. You will once again see Mac 'clones' made by none other than IBM. They will once again enter the market, but with the PPC-based CPU chip ... On the top end I easily see dual-core-, dual-processor-based systems with a VMware-type solution built into the main board. Run Apple's OS X in one virtual environment and your typical Linux�-type operating system in the other."

/cut

IBM, having already released the PowerPC� 980 in time for June's Apple Worldwide Development Conference, will continue with a release of the PowerPC 990 in September; at that point, the numbers will roll over, heralding the release of the PowerPC 000 two weeks later.

I'd like to see this happening - but perhaps only in the (enterprise) server market, which could work out if Apple are being seen as increasingly domestically-oriented.

If that gave IBM the impetus to really deliver on the processor front - with an obvious benefit to apple's Mac's - it could be a win-win . . ..

And not a repeat performance of ugly (but cheaper) boxes impacting Apple's own business . .

Pierre B.
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 8, 2005, 07:22 AM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
Unrolling AltiVec, Part 1: Introducing the PowerPC SIMD unit

...The G5 chips include the IBM 970, 970FX, and 970GX; these are essentially POWER4? cores with an AltiVec unit bolted on...
FWIW, the GX reference now has gone.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 8, 2005, 04:27 PM

/cut

Clones are not going to happen! You get burned once, you're not going to get burned a second time. IBM will ship PowerPC servers as they do today, but not with MacOS X on them.

Also, the statement about IBM going thru Power6, Power7, and Power8, in one month is ridiculous! It takes months if not over a year to develop and refine chip designs. The design for the Power6, for example was started months ago, and I believe is just being sampled at this point. I don't think it's ion production yet.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

osxisfun
Mar 8, 2005, 05:50 PM

long story short.

I am now a part of the "When are the new powermacs coming!!" club.

I hope you are right BooBoo!

Catfish_Man
Mac Elite
Mar 8, 2005, 10:19 PM

Originally posted by Leonard:Also, the statement about IBM going thru Power6, Power7, and Power8, in one month is ridiculous! It takes years to develop and refine chip designs. The design for the Power6, for example was started months ago, and I believe is still being designed. I don't think it's ion production yet.
T. FTFY

POWER5+ hasn't even started production yet, let alone POWER6

osxisfun
Mar 8, 2005, 10:23 PM

anyone notice that the 1.8 singles now have a 5-7 day wait.

could be something.
could be nothing.
could be better than ezra*

*i just like the name of that band is all.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 9, 2005, 06:40 AM

Xbox 2's Xenon is triple core 3 GHz. (Not a G5 though.)

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 9, 2005, 12:33 PM

If it doesn't happen in a few weeks I think we're in for the long haul of a June release with immediately availablity.
However, if they do a April-May release, what's the likelyhood they'll provide a Tiger upgrade coupon or up-to-date program for those who buy thier Powermacs? Would suck to have to fork out $129 a month after buying a new system.

Specwise, I don't think we'll see 3GHz if they do something in the next few weeks, if it's June and Steve cashes in some karma they may pull it off. Now if they'd bump the iMac asap where they have some room to go... though the chantings are no new iMacs before Powermacs.

If by 2019 life is going to be like Bladerunner, we had better get on the ball

( Last edited by Crusoe; Mar 10, 2005 at 10:57 AM. )
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

osxisfun
Mar 9, 2005, 12:40 PM

i would say any machine sold by april would have a tiger coupon...

i hope. would be nice.

i agree:

machines by april. No dual core.
machine in June. Dual Core.

thankfully WWDC is in early june.

osxisfun
Mar 9, 2005, 02:14 PM

from forums.appleinsider.com

http://forums.appleinsider.com/showt...threadid=52013

New CHUD tools hint at multicore/quad CPU's

Maybe june won't be such a long wait after all...

To Quote eddie murphy: Humma na humma na hummaaa naaa

OsakaBill
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2005, 08:19 PM

At the same price points as the current models...

Single 2.0 GHz G5
Dual 2.0 GHz G5
Dual 2.5 GHz Dual Core G5
Dual 3.0 GHz Dual Core G5

:-)
Resistance Is Futile--Think Different

illume
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 11, 2005, 09:37 PM

Reading all these wishes reminds me of the last major upgrade announcements that brought us the G5. I felt then that the issues would be between processing power vs. bus speed increases.

I think the 64bit bus speed got more of the technical focus, than the processors. There have been a lot of complaints about the lack of noticable processing gains for 3D and Audio applications.

Since Mr. Jobs still works with Pixar, I think he would push for a computer that could handle the processing power needs to work professionally with Renderman.

We've all seen the demos with the Renderman appllication logo in the dock, so I know they're working with it...somewhere.

just my un-technical guest.

James -
Creating Something Wonderful
www.yogifish.com

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2005, 10:31 PM

Quads, for sure!

crooner
Senior User
Mar 12, 2005, 12:50 AM

Originally posted by hart:
I was just checking my favorite mac outlet, SmallDog, and most of the G5s are on back order which is often the First Sign of coming upgrade.

<snip>
I hope you're right. I was at my local Apple store today and was playing with a dual 2.5 and all I can say is MAN, that thing is fast. Nevertheless, I want to see some improvements to the current offerings. Most significantly, CPU speed increase and possibly more internal drive space (but I'm willing to let that slide). Just give us 3Ghz and a stable system with stable cooling and no bugs. If that means we have to pay a little more for a better made product my feeling is that we would do it.

Hey, Apple, God bless the iPod, the iMac, and the mini but for christ's sake, don�t forget that the Mac is what put you there to begin with.

Now I�m getting all fvaklempt.

To dislike Sinatra is a sign of highly questionable taste. To dislike the Beatles is a serious character flaw.

aafuss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2005, 01:56 AM

Bluetooth 2.0-the G5's are still stuck with BT1.s
Invader Zim
"Invaders blood marches through my veins, like giant radioactive rubberpants! The pants command me! Do not ignore my veins!"

A.A.'s Mac-Mac mini Core Solo 1.5GHz, 512MB, 60GB SATA HDD, Combo Drive, OS X 10.4.5, iWork '06, iLife '06, Logic Express 7. Mouse-Logitech G7, Keyboard-MS Digital Media Keyboar
Fifth Generation iPod (30GB)-White

pascalpp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2005, 05:16 AM

Originally posted by hart:
so what we have here is a bunch of pure speculation, not even a solid rumor type thing to go on. Absolutely nothing in rumor sites.

ARGH!!

Call me spoiled but when I have a bunch of apps open and my DP G4 1ghz sputters before a task I'm starting to get irritated. I want MORE!! and I want it NOW!!

(don't mind me)
hope yer right. I'm in the same boat as you. I want to buy a new G5 RIGHT NOW -- but i'm forcing myself to wait.

to add some fuel to that fire - Dale Pro Audio, the oldest pro audio supplier in New York City, is running a special on G5s -- through March 25th. probly means nothing, but one can hope..

Sealobo
Mar 12, 2005, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by pascalpp:
Having all my balls crossed.

osxisfun
Mar 12, 2005, 11:38 AM

> Just give us 3Ghz and a stable system with stable cooling and no bugs. If that means we have to pay a little more for a better made product my feeling is that we would do it.

Amen brother. I would love an option on a BTO dual core G5 that offered SUPER QUIET COOL FAN.

I'd pay $300 extra for that. Of course my old dual 2.0 was quiet except when i taxed the procs but then again i never upgraded to 10.3.8...

shadowself
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2005, 03:13 PM

The lineup I would like to see:

2.0 GHz Dual Core
2.4 GHz Dual Core
2.6 GHz Dual Processor & Dual Core (four cores)
3.0 GHz Dual Processor & Dual Core (four cores)

I would like to see them by the end of April, but absolutely no later than WWDC.

This in not a prediction. Just what I believe is a realistic wish list.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2005, 03:31 PM

Single 2.2
Dual 2.2
Dual 2.5
Dual 3.0
OK, this needs to be updated. You already know why.

iMac single G5 970FX 1.8 GHz 17" - $1299
iMac single G5 970FX 2.0 GHz 17" - $1499
iMac single G5 970FX 2.0 GHz 20" - $1899
Power Mac single single-core G5 970FX 2.0 GHz - $1499
Power Mac single dual-core G5 970MP 2.2 GHz - $1999
Power Mac single dual-core G5 970MP 2.5 GHz - $2499
Power Mac single dual-core G5 970MP 3.0 GHz - $2999
Power Mac dual dual-core G5 970MP 3.0 GHz - $3999

April announcement, shipping with Tiger 10.4.

EDIT:

I was reminded by someone... I forgot to mention:

I think the new Power Macs (at least the dual-core ones) will support PCIe. But I don't think it's a humungous deal if they don't this time around.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Mar 12, 2005 at 07:34 PM. )

Yorkwood
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2005, 11:17 PM

A quad core Power 5 at 3 GHz in the low end

Dual quad core Power 6 at 5 GHz with Hypertransport in the middle machines

Code named "Wonderboy", the high end machines that will feature an unannounced chip co-designed by AMD and the ghost of Seymour Cray that's so fast it has to be cooled with liquid helium to keep it from melting the chassis. With a DNA co-processor.

pcd2k
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2005, 09:09 AM

At the begining of the year Steve Jobs made a significant point about the future advancement of the GPU. Graphics Processing is where its at in the Proffessional Industies and the graphics hungary Gamers. But maybe even the GPU is fast reaching its zenith, consequently whatever the cpu stats and or number of CPU's I'd like to think the PPU Daugtercard will make its announcement in the new flagship ?

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20050308-4682.html

borgobello
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2005, 09:33 AM

First of April, Think Secret says... But it's an ambiguous date.

blackwind
Mar 13, 2005, 10:51 AM

Actually, the Power Mac line-up and pricing could be problematic for Apple when compared with AMD and Intel.

Firstly, I'll be the pessimist and say that the fastest PowerPC 970MP that would be available in the near future will probably be pegged at 2.5 GHz.

Additionally, both AMD and Intel seem to want to keep pricing on their dual-core processors roughly on par with current prices. Although the dual-core Xeons are not coming until Q1 of 2006 (I think), AMD is supposed to have a dual-core Opteron sometime by the second half of this year (my guess of a maximum clock of 2.2 GHz).

With your suggested $1000 price increase on the only hypothetical dual-processor dual-core G5, Apple would lose its price/performance competitiveness with dual-processor AMD workstations that it has so far held for the last two years.

My guess for the Power Mac line (announced at WWDC at latest):

<insert random crippled machine>: $1499
Dual 2.0-GHz 970MP: $1999
Dual 2.3-GHz 970MP: $2499
Dual 2.5-GHz 970MP: $2999

I do agree about a likely possibility of PCI Express, though.

OK, this needs to be updated. You already know why.

iMac single G5 970FX 1.8 GHz 17" - $1299
iMac single G5 970FX 2.0 GHz 17" - $1499
iMac single G5 970FX 2.0 GHz 20" - $1899
Power Mac single single-core G5 970FX 2.0 GHz - $1499
Power Mac single dual-core G5 970MP 2.2 GHz - $1999
Power Mac single dual-core G5 970MP 2.5 GHz - $2499
Power Mac single dual-core G5 970MP 3.0 GHz - $2999
Power Mac dual dual-core G5 970MP 3.0 GHz - $3999

EDIT:

I was reminded by someone... I forgot to mention:

I think the new Power Macs (at least the dual-core ones) will support PCIe. But I don't think it's a humungous deal if they don't this time around.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2005, 11:32 AM

I would like to see:
Base Model: Single 2.5GHz G5 $1999
Middle Model: Dual 2.8Ghz G5 $2499
Top Model: Twin Dual-Core 2.8GHz G5 $2999 (that's a quad, baby!)

(I can dream, can't I?)

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2005, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by blackwind:
Actually, the Power Mac line-up and pricing could be problematic for Apple when compared with AMD and Intel.

Firstly, I'll be the pessimist and say that the fastest PowerPC 970MP that would be available in the near future will probably be pegged at 2.5 GHz.

Additionally, both AMD and Intel seem to want to keep pricing on their dual-core processors roughly on par with current prices. Although the dual-core Xeons are not coming until Q1 of 2006 (I think), AMD is supposed to have a dual-core Opteron sometime by the second half of this year (my guess of a maximum clock of 2.2 GHz).

With your suggested $1000 price increase on the only hypothetical dual-processor dual-core G5, Apple would lose its price/performance competitiveness with dual-processor AMD workstations that it has so far held for the last two years.

My guess for the Power Mac line (announced at WWDC at latest):

<insert random crippled machine>: $1499
Dual 2.0-GHz 970MP: $1999
Dual 2.3-GHz 970MP: $2499
Dual 2.5-GHz 970MP: $2999

I do agree about a likely possibility of PCI Express, though.
I don't understand your point, since my listed prices were actually cheaper than yours.

Under my prediction/wishlist, the $2999 machine would be the dual 3.0.

Only the double double would be $3999.

I wonder if we'll get non-ATI/nVidia video cards too.
( Last edited by Eug Wanker; Mar 13, 2005 at 12:47 PM. )

Al G
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2005, 12:47 PM

If Apple had a dual-cpu dual-core machine at a total of 10-12GHz, they could charge whatever they felt like and some people would pay it.

I don't know what speeds we'll actually see, and I'm a little skeptical about seeing dual-core cpus in the next bump.

But if dual core appears then I would like to see more cpu configuration options. It would be nice to allow you to decide what speed cpu(s) you want and whether you want single, dual, dual-core single or dual-core dual.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2005, 12:49 PM

Originally posted by Al G:
But if dual core appears then I would like to see more cpu configuration options. It would be nice to allow you to decide what speed cpu(s) you want and whether you want single, dual, dual-core single or dual-core dual.
I dunno... I think it would be pointless for Apple to have a dual single-core and a single dual-core in the same lineup. There are some reasons to do this, but IMHO not enough of them to justify it. That is, if the dual-core speeds are sufficient. What you say would make more sense if say the dual-core had a max speed of 2.5 GHz, but the single-core maxed out at say 3.0 GHz.

Commodus
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2005, 01:09 PM

If Apple even has a dual dual-core system, it'll probably only be the top-end model. Most people probably won't see any gain from having 4 physical CPU cores chugging away at once - unless they're doing editing in Final Cut Pro while Photoshop runs a Gaussian Blur in the background.

Also, it may simply be a way of accomodating SMT support through an entirely single-core lineup. That's a considerably cheaper option for Apple.
( Last edited by Commodus; Mar 13, 2005 at 01:30 PM. )
24-inch iMac Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Mar 13, 2005, 01:17 PM

If Apple even has a dual dual-core system, it'll probably only be the top-end model. Most people probably won't see any gain from having 4 physical CPU cores chugging away at once - unless they're doing editing in Final Cut Pro while Photoshop runs a Gaussian Blur in the backgruond.
I agree. A double double only really makes sense at the top end. I'm thinking 3D boxes and such though.

Also, it may simply be a way of accomodating SMT support through an entirely single-core lineup. That's a considerably cheaper option for Apple.
Except that it's probably not an option. The POWER4 does not support SMT, and the 970 line is based off POWER4.

Al G
Forum Regular
Mar 13, 2005, 01:19 PM

I dunno... I think it would be pointless for Apple to have a dual single-core and a single dual-core in the same lineup. There are some reasons to do this, but IMHO not enough of them to justify it. That is, if the dual-core speeds are sufficient. What you say would make more sense if say the dual-core had a max speed of 2.5 GHz, but the single-core maxed out at say 3.0 GHz.
Make more sense? I never claimed that anything I say makes sense.

You have a good point though. The cpu buffet was just the first thing that popped into my head when I read your earlier post.

Personally, I don't see why anyone would want a single cpu machine when for only a little more they could have twice the power, but I know for some people they don't need the extra power and it's all about cost so they don't want to spend the extra few hundred.

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 13, 2005, 11:11 PM

1-2-3 what are we waiting for?

(gimme them quads!)

alands
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 13, 2005, 11:22 PM

My wish list...

PCI Express
DDR2 667
Dual Layer Superdrive
IBM PowerPC 9xx 1M L2 cache in single core and dual core

Apple will want to use a single processor with dual core to replace dual processors where possible to reduce cost. I hope we will see an option with build to order between single core with higher frequency or dual core with a slightly lower frequency. I am hopeful that there will be a dual processor with dual core option for maximum multithreaded performance. I think we will not see the new machines until WWDC. My best guess at the new line up

1 processor / dual core @ 2.0GHz Fan Cooling
1 processor / dual core @ 2.4GHz Fan Cooling
2 processor / dual core @ 2.6GHz Liquid Cooling
2 processor / single core @ 3.0GHZ Liquid Cooling.

Forum Links
Forum Rules