Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Student Suspended Over Call to Mom in Iraq

Student Suspended Over Call to Mom in Iraq
ghporter
Administrator
May 6, 2005, 08:46 PM

I just saw this story, and I am outraged! How can this school expect to retain the respect of its students? How can any school function when they treat EVERY situation equally, considering that every situation is indeed completely unique?

The gist is that the student received a call on his cell phone from his mother who is on a one year military tour in Iraq. The teacher told the student to end the call, but the student, who was obviously excited and stressed about receiving the call, refused, telling the teacher "this is my mom in Iraq." The teacher says he got defiant-I cannot blame him. Having served overseas, being able to call home is a luxury that most military people don't have, one that is highly regulated and very precious. The school suspended the student for 10 days. A travesty!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

storer
Mac Elite
May 6, 2005, 09:03 PM

Teachers are sad sick sods of people. And I, unfortunately, intend to become one. Hopefully not that incosiderate though, that's just not fair, especially in America... or anywhere that has soldiers in Iraq.

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 6, 2005, 09:16 PM

There's already a thread about this in the Political Lounge, and one was created here earlier, which got locked. I expect this one will be locked also.

EDIT: Didn't notice this one was started by another Moderator...

ghporter  (op)
Administrator
May 6, 2005, 10:06 PM

This isn't about politics, it's about school administration without a lick of sense. This school is obviously in or near a military community, so it should not be too amazing for them to have kids get calls from remote places and with severe time constraints. The "one size fits all" concept of managing students is very bad for them; they are all individuals, and as high schoolers, they're extremely aware of that fact. Treating a unique situation the same way a similar but different situation is treated is just asking for cries of "arbitrary and unjust!" and rightly so.

Bad teacher, horrible administration, and a shocking lack of sensitivity for a student whose part in his mother being deployed is that of innocent victim. I am still outraged, and I hope the school finds a LOT of military families telling them ALL about it.

When I was overseas for a year, I knew my family was being taken care of, and I knew my son's school was doing its best. Apparently this is nowhere near the case in far too many schools.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

PacHead
Baninated
May 6, 2005, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter
I am still outraged, and I hope the school finds a LOT of military families telling them ALL about it.
You'll find the phone number (and address and email) to the school in the PL thread, if interested.

IceBreaker
Mac Enthusiast
May 6, 2005, 11:12 PM

Originally Posted by PacHead
You'll find the phone number (and address and email) to the school in the PL thread, if interested.

hayesk
May 7, 2005, 12:53 AM

Hmm... I'm guessing the kid did act like a jerk. I'll bet if he said, "excuse me, this is my mother calling from Iraq, may I be excused for a few minutes" this whole thing wouldn't have happened.

Granted, I agree he shouldn't be suspended, but he should apologize to the teacher and class if indeed he did act like a jerk.

ASIMO
Mac Elite
May 7, 2005, 05:29 AM

I am outraged at the outrage.�
I, ASIMO.

His Dudeness
Mac Elite
May 7, 2005, 06:14 AM

I know school's are stoopid. Here's how stoopid York County schools in Virginia are. My stepdaughter took Pixie Sticks to school for lunch one day and she almost got suspended because the school said it looked like crack cocaine.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 7, 2005, 08:48 AM

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
May 7, 2005, 12:38 PM

There needs to be consideration for individual circumstances.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Forum Links
Forum Rules