Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > No SCSI CDR/RW with iTunes

No SCSI CDR/RW with iTunes
osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2001, 04:41 PM

Now I'm pissed - iTunes is not compatible with ANY SCSI CDR/RW????? http://www.apple.com/itunes/compatibility/

This is BS.

explaiin this, like you would to a child...
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Scott_H
Professional Poster
Mar 6, 2001, 04:45 PM

I'm going to move this over to Multimedia & DV. Click through to find the topic.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 6, 2001, 04:52 PM

thanx Scott_H

(-1)^(1/2)
Mar 6, 2001, 10:15 PM

Apple better get some support for SCSI drives soon. I just ordered my Ultra SCSI 16x/10x/40x CD-RW and I better be able to burn some music. I didn't see a link on that page to send Apple any feedback on iTunes. I guess I'll look harder. Maybe we'll see some support in the version released with OS X. Ultra SCSI still beats Firewire drives any day and I really hope that Apple supports them.

Cipher13
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2001, 03:17 AM

I'm pissed, but not much.
iToons sucks anyway.
For burning at least.

As long as OSX supports SCSI...

Cipher13

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2001, 11:00 AM

Cipher13 - Now I'm not so sure.

why WHY W H Y !!!

crest
Mar 7, 2001, 11:31 AM

What is this thing with iTunes and SCSI? I've seen the same kind of threads on MacCentral. I have a Yamaha CRW6416 SCSI drive, and it works flawlessly with iTunes (and CD Burner I guess.. haven't installed it yet). So please get your facts right before posting. Check the Apple compatibility list, you'll see "CRW6416" listed.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2001, 11:46 AM

YOU GUESS??!! You haven't tried it and say it works based upon your guess? My facts are 100 % correct.

Read the Apple link - SCSI IS NOT SUPPORTED and doesn't work on the SCSI LaCie that I bought last year - so it probably won't work on your CDR either. If it does, good for you!

And one more, MY FACTS ARE DIRECTLY FROM APPLE http://www.apple.com/itunes/compatibility/
and though your drive may be on the list of working drives, it may be only be the Firewire/USB variation that works.

crest
Mar 7, 2001, 01:08 PM

WTF! I can burn CD's within iTunes using my SCSI drive, but I haven't tried CD Burner. Those are two different things. With CD Burner, you can put a blank CD in the drive and it appears on your desktop. I tried ITUNES! NOT CD BURNER! ITUNES WORKED! I BURNED A CD WITH MY SCSI DRIVE AND ITUNES. ON MAC OS 9.1. IS THAT CLEAR ENOUGH?!

crest
Mar 7, 2001, 01:15 PM

I re-checked the Apple web site. Yes, it does mention SCSI (in gray print all the way at the bottom). It says : "Disc Burner doesn't support SCSI"

Disc Burner is not iTunes

iTunes is not Disc Burner

pffffffffff

Cipher13
Clinically Insane
Mar 7, 2001, 02:16 PM

An unregistered poster carries almost zero weight around here, so forgive us if we don't believe you.
If iTunes can support it, theres no reason Disc Burner can't except that Apple wants to phase out SCSI, in favour of its own technology, FireWire.
The next iTunes may not support it.
We'll see.

Cipher13

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 7, 2001, 02:30 PM

Like I said - good for you.....

Now register!!

crest
Mar 7, 2001, 03:44 PM

Oh sorry I was wrong about everything! I CAN'T burn cd's with iTunes... I thought you meant "Toast"
Well Toast doesn't support SCSI either. In fact, I don't even own a CD-RW drive. I'm just an unregistered moron who doesn't know s*** about anything.

graphixmaker
Forum Regular
Mar 8, 2001, 02:14 AM

Woah...

Hate to jump in the middle of this but, iTunes works perfectly with my scsi cdrw. I have a Yamaha 4416SX. It worked with the hack that was posted before the release of 1.1, and after I updated it still works fine. It sucks that they say they don't support it, but I say try it anyway. It might work, if it doesn't I'm sure there will be an update. Hopes this helps (if only a little bit).

Jim

Cipher13
Clinically Insane
Mar 8, 2001, 05:37 AM

Originally posted by crest:
Oh sorry I was wrong about everything! I CAN'T burn cd's with iTunes... I thought you meant "Toast"
Well Toast doesn't support SCSI either. In fact, I don't even own a CD-RW drive. I'm just an unregistered moron who doesn't know s*** about anything.
Well at least you're now coming to terms with yourself

Cipher13

ficelle
Mar 9, 2001, 09:59 PM

hello.
i use itune 1.1 US on a french system with a pwb 500, 1480 scsi cardbus and a yamaha 4416 and it working verry well !!!!

Evan Evanson
Mar 19, 2001, 02:10 AM

I'm a fool to jump into such an enlightened and civilized discussion, but....

iTunes 1.0, after the Radialogic driver hack, burnt CDs with my Yamaha 4260 SCSI drive. but would not boot up if my UMAX scanner was connected. v. 1.1, of course, does precisely the opposite: won't burn CDs, but plays nice w/ the scanner. Yes, I re-installed the hacked CD driver - no go.

6 of one, half a dozen of the other. I think the proper thing to do is to ignore what Apple says and to see if it works on your own configuration.

Evan

Forum Links
Forum Rules