Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Upping PB 1400c bus speed.

Upping PB 1400c bus speed.
Ivan
Mac Enthusiast
May 31, 2001, 09:25 AM

I have a PB 1400s that I upgraded to Sonnet's G3 333mhz/512k. I have been reading that people who got the G3 400mhz w/1 mb bc. was able to get a 66mhz bus speed instead of the 33mhz stock. Is this true, they said even the metronome in the control panel stated that. If this is true, i may just go up to that upgrade, I love the 333mhz, but 66mhz system bus is much better. Also, would there be anyway possible for me to do that to mine?
Thanks

------------------
iMac DV 400 (Lime)
1.5 mb/ sec aDsL
OS 9.1 & OS X
Powerbook 1400cs/G3 333mhz (overclocked cache @ 222.1mhz)

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2001, 09:46 AM

I own two PowerBook 1400c that have been upgraded with Sonnet upgrades. One is the 333/1MB and the other is the 400/1MB. The 400/1MB does double the bus speed to 66 via their "Fortissimo" technology. You can't double the bus on your own (unless you are good at soldering micro circuits). I would recommend the 400/1MB because their is a noticeable difference with the doubled bus speed. However, the backside cache speed is fixed so you cannot adjust it like the 333/1MB. Hope this helps. Cheers.
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

<Ivan>
Jun 3, 2001, 02:27 PM

iMacaholic,how much of a speed difference do you have with the 400mhz/1mb? Is there anyway you can post some benchmarks here or even email them to me? I plan on keeping this baby for awhile, do you think upgradeing to the 400/ 1mb is worth the extra money?
Thanks,
Ivan Childers

P.S. If you know anyone who has a HD for sale or a 48 meg RAM stick for sale at a reasonable price(for the 1400c), let me know.

[email protected]

imacaholic
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 3, 2001, 03:48 PM

Yes, I think it is worth it. Go to the site listed below for benchmarks and some other helpful information. Hope it helps in your decision.
http://macspeedzone.com/5.0/bymac/ap..._166Oct00.html
Fold! It does a body good!™
173.82 GHz Tower of Folding Power
9th Ranked Folder in the World

Forum Links
Forum Rules