Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Address Book (10.2) PDA/Tablet

Address Book (10.2) PDA/Tablet
Guy Incognito
Banned
May 21, 2002, 10:02 PM

Someone on the ArsTechnica forums mentioned some stuff about Inkwell, tablets, and the vCards. And then I thought...'Holy fsck, he's right!!!'

Address Book in 10.2 has the iApp brushed-metal look. Recent Forbes news insist that Apple will be releasing some new hardware at MWNY. Could Apple be creating a tablet/PDA-type device? I think so.

•Inkwell...first clue. This is almost essential to the tablet/PDA device.
•Address Book and vCards...second clue. The app has a brushed-metal look. All brushed-metal app so far has been some kind of digital hub interface. I think you'll be able to synch your PDA with the Address Book...like you can synch your iPod with iTunes.

Now you're gonna ask 'What about iChat and Sherlock 3? They have brushed-metal interfaces.' Beats me...but wouldn't it be cool if you could send instant messages to people online using your Bluetooth/internet-enabled tablet/PDA? Wouldn't it be cool if you could pull up something from Sherlock 3 from your desktop computer and store it onto the tablet for future reference? Or even find stuff online using Sherlock 3 directly from your Bluetooth/internet-enabled tablet/PDA?

Imagine if the tablet could also play music like the iPod does.

Imagine dammit!

ambush
Banned
May 21, 2002, 10:14 PM

•Inkwell...first clue. This is almost essential to the tablet/PDA device.
yeah I agree on that one..it's kinda strange..
•Address Book and vCards...second clue. The app has a brushed-metal look. All brushed-metal app so far has been some kind of digital hub interface. I think you'll be able to synch your PDA with the Address Book...like you can synch your iPod with iTunes
I don't get that.. I mean the ipod already has 100% vCard compatibility ( drag vcf in your iPod's contacts folder when it's mounted).. why would we need a tablet to store our conacts???

Oh and yeah... the address book would be the app that interacts with the PDA? No, sorry this makes no sense at all. In my book, the brushed metal in 10.2 is just pure.. bad-UI nothing else..

One more thing I've noticed. Apple is slowly leaving old aqua behind. 1) in 10.2 the dock has no stripes. 2) Brushed metal 3) XServe, The New iMac, the iPod, the TiBook... They all have the same " graphite metal " look.. am I wrong? I think they're slowly migrating to another kind of user interface.. Like sherlock 2 on mac os... It was the first brushed metal app ever made ( not sure tough ) then itunes and imovie came..
im confused..

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: ambush ]

Guy Incognito  (op)
Banned
May 21, 2002, 10:23 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
<STRONG> I don't get that.. I mean the ipod already has 100% vCard compatibility ( drag vcf in your iPod's contacts folder when it's mounted).. why would we need a tablet to store our conacts???</STRONG>
'cuz the tablet could be much more...unless Apple's next iPod got InkWell. I mean what about iChat and Sherlock 3? Could iPod be able to handle those? No...you'll need Bluetooth or some other wireless connection to the internet.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
May 21, 2002, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
<STRONG> I don't get that.. I mean the ipod already has 100% vCard compatibility ( drag vcf in your iPod's contacts folder when it's mounted).. why would we need a tablet to store our conacts???

Oh and yeah... the address book would be the app that interacts with the PDA? No, sorry this makes no sense at all. In my book, the brushed metal in 10.2 is just pure.. bad-UI nothing else..

One more thing I've noticed. Apple is slowly leaving old aqua behind. 1) in 10.2 the dock has no stripes. 2) Brushed metal 3) XServe, The New iMac, the iPod, the TiBook... They all have the same " graphite metal " look.. am I wrong? I think they're slowly migrating to another kind of user interface.. Like sherlock 2 on mac os... It was the first brushed metal app ever made ( not sure tough ) then itunes and imovie came..
im confused..

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: ambush ]</STRONG>
I certainly hope you're wrong, I loathe and fear the brushed metal look... speaking of which, I seem to remember somebody once posting a hack that was able to get rid of it and give such applications a normal aqua interface; am I just hallucinating?
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

DaveGee
Mac Enthusiast
May 21, 2002, 11:10 PM

I'm not so sure about an Apple Tablet or PDA but I have to tell you that I'd be the first on my block to own either (or both)! So you don't need to sell me on the idea!

My question is this:

Why would Apple make a point to show off Ink?

Think about the following points:

First, The OS X 10.2 demo made to the developers wasn't covered under NDA and Apple **KNEW** it would be reported on. Even if the event was under NDA Apple had to know it woulda leaked.

Second, I think everyone agrees the developers/reporters/macgeeks/etc would have been more than impressed with 10.2 even if Steve didn't do an Ink demo...

Third, I don't care how much code Apple had already written it still must have taken quite a bit of time to get Ink working under OS X 10.2 - remember it came from the Newton and the CPU and OS that drove the Newton is just a tad (big grin) different than a PPC system running OS X.

To sum up...

Steve made a specific choice to show people software that took more and a few people time to get working in OS X 10.2 that most admit is very cool but 99.9% of all the Mac's on the planet can't make use of...

Why would Steve do this?!?!

My money says: TO SLOWLY DRIVE US CRAZY...

You have to admit this is very strange... Ink is good for input but it needs a tablet (not even talking about something as sexy as an touch sensitive LCD tablet mac) - just a plain old tablet such that some graphic designers use.

Problem is... Have you ever tried to write on a tablet (non-lcd)? It sucks! It's like those credit card devices that capture your sig into a computer... they slide the slip under this flap and you write (with a stylus) your sig. Its very weird... Second problem is: A tablet connect to a Mac means you are at a desktop Mac and you have a keyboard... Well if that's the case just use the keyboard! Almost everyone (even semi-comfortable with a keyboard) agrees that using the keyboard is faster than writing.

Ink technology really shines (and some like me would say is only really useful) when you have a device that can't support a full size keyboard. Palm or WinCE sized devices come to mind. LCD Tablets are another...

Palm/WinCE devices are out since I don't see OS X (darwin+Aqua) running on anything other than a PPC chip and I don't see fitting PPC+HD+LCD+MEMORY+PCMCIA+FW+BATTERY into a space that small... And if this 'new device' doesn't run X then why port Ink to X??

LCD Touch-Tablet Mac... Yes this is do-able and --maybe-- it can be done now...

Look at the new iBook as an example.

$1,199 buys you:
12.1-inch TFT XGA display
600MHz PowerPC G3 - 512K L2 cache @600MHz
System bus @100MHz
128MB SDRAM memory
20GB Ultra ATA drive
CD-ROM
AirPort ready
Up to 5 hr. battery life
Only 4.9 pounds!

Take that 12.1-inch and make it 8" (10") touch
Take that 600Mhz PPC G3 and make it 500Mhz (no L2?)
128MB Fine
Take that 20GB drive and make it 10GB
AirPort or Modem or Cellular via Type II PCMCIA slot
Bluetooth via USB
Firewire
NO MODEM
NO KEYBOARD

The only things that are of question are technology and cost:

QUALITY Touchscreen LCDs - Are they available at prices cheap enough? I'm not talking about 320x200 rez here... The display would have to be better than that. I have no idea but I'd imagine if anyone could get their hand on one it would be Apple - I'm pretty sure Apple has a friend in the LCD business . Power draw on the display would be a MAJOR issue...

Battery - can they give it enough power to last a long time? One would think that by using a low power iPod type toshiba HD could help but then would running X on it (more disk intensive than playing MP3) kill it? Remember the iPod has 32MB of memory so it can pre-load stuff and only access the HD when it's really needed... OS X can't really do that.

Screen and Battery aside...

Cost - Could Apple sell a tablet Mac @ 500Mhz for $899/$999 (I'd sure buy it but --huge disclaimer-- I've wanted something like this for some time and the company that I work for will buy it for me)

I dunno we still might have some time to wait... but if that's true then I have to re-ask my initial question:

"Why show off Ink?"

Dave

[ 05-21-2002: Message edited by: DaveGee ]

Borborygmi
May 22, 2002, 01:36 AM

I saw this review of a tablet PC:
http://anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.html?i=1621

...and was thinking that Apple could do this better in SO many ways. Granted, many people don't need a tablet computer, but for some people, they would be very useful. I'm just about to finish medical school, and think a tablet computer tied into a hospital server via AirPort could be the big thing in medical informatics. I bet more people could use Ink technology in a tablet computer than on a desktop with a graphics tablet. Now Apple just has to build it.... er, please?

Forum Links
Forum Rules