Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Forty-Two v1.0 is Out (DVD Conversion Made Easy)

Forty-Two v1.0 is Out (DVD Conversion Made Easy)
WiseWeasel
Feb 1, 2003, 11:06 PM

The final 1.0 release version of Forty-Two is out, and available to download. Get it here: http://homepage.mac.com/kaicherry/. If some people could mirror this final release version, or run BitTorrent to help with bandwidth distribution, we could post to versiontracker, as well as the news sites, and let Mac users everywhere experience the joy of converting their DVD easily.
I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime les syst�mes, leur application except�e."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 1, 2003, 11:08 PM

Originally posted by WiseWeasel:
The final 1.0 release version of Forty-Two is out, and available to download. Get it here: http://homepage.mac.com/kaicherry/. If some people could mirror this final release version, or run BitTorrent to help with bandwidth distribution, we could post to versiontracker, as well as the news sites, and let Mac users everywhere experience the joy of converting their DVD easily.
I haven't checked out the 42 threads lately.

Have the DVD-9 --> DVD-5 issues been corrected?

WiseWeasel  (op)
Feb 1, 2003, 11:21 PM

Yes, it should all be working now, including all parts of the dvd->dvd process. It seems that it already is on versiontracker, and that we have enough mirrors for now. Still, if the mirrors start going down, some more would be appreciated.
I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime les syst�mes, leur application except�e."

JLL
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2003, 05:58 AM

Mirror up at:

http://lunddal.dk/software/forty-two-v1.dmg

There are no bandwidth limits.
( Last edited by JLL; Feb 2, 2003 at 06:12 AM. )
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

engaged
Location: Close to the sea and a place with a big, big castle...
Feb 2, 2003, 09:31 AM

Can't even install the forty-two.pkg - 'You are not allowed to install the software in the default location on the disk 'iBook'. Check with the administrator of your computer.'

But I am the administrator! It disn't ask for my admin password, unlike most other apps and packages that I've installed.

Anyone else? Any ideas?

schwa
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2003, 12:53 PM

Same problem here... Dual G4/500, OSX.2.3

Originally posted by engaged:
Can't even install the forty-two.pkg - 'You are not allowed to install the software in the default location on the disk 'iBook'. Check with the administrator of your computer.'

But I am the administrator! It disn't ask for my admin password, unlike most other apps and packages that I've installed.

Anyone else? Any ideas?

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2003, 03:21 PM

I have one problem: The files it creates work and all, but the sound is extremely low - I can barely hear it! Is there any tool on osx to jack up the volume on a movie clip? Thanks!

sandman
Mac Enthusiast
Feb 2, 2003, 03:35 PM

2 out of 3 DVD's I dragged onto fourty-two didn't bring up options for converting. Are these DVD's rip-protected or something?
sandman
17" PowerBook/OS X.4.2/60GB/1G/Airport Express/iPod 20GB (Click Wheel)

JellyBeen
Senior User
Feb 2, 2003, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by schwa:
Same problem here... Dual G4/500, OSX.2.3
Try running disk permissions in Disk utility and try again..
20"iMac intel 2.66 Duo: 4GB RAM : OS 10.6.6

WiseWeasel  (op)
Feb 2, 2003, 03:39 PM

ffmpegX has Gain control, if you want to rip the audio separately and convert it yourself, it should synch up with the video afterwards, as the audio never changes rates.
As for the installation problems, I would suggest either logging in as the admin to install, or else run the 'Repair Disk Permissions' tool in Disk Utility.

WiseWeasel  (op)
Feb 2, 2003, 03:42 PM

Originally posted by sandman:
2 out of 3 DVD's I dragged onto fourty-two didn't bring up options for converting. Are these DVD's rip-protected or something?
Forty Two should be able to crack most protection out there. Maybe the problem is that the wrong title is selected. Try using OSEx (http://www.cse.buffalo.edu/~afaversa/) to see which title is the one containing the main video track, and plug that number into 42.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 2, 2003, 04:00 PM

how long does it take to convert a movie, say the matrix?
we don't have time to stop for gas

WiseWeasel  (op)
Feb 2, 2003, 05:13 PM

For which process (Divx, SVCD, VCD, DVD)? And on what machine?
A new version of Forty-Two (v 1.01) will be out shortly to address the interface bug with the switched qDVD and 1 CD Divx options.

engaged
Feb 2, 2003, 05:27 PM

As for the installation problems, I would suggest either logging in as the admin to install, or else run the 'Repair Disk Permissions' tool in Disk Utility.
I am admin! Disk Utility doesn't offer repairing disk permissions as an option...

Dace
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2003, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by engaged:
I am admin! Disk Utility doesn't offer repairing disk permissions as an option...
You have to boot off the Mac OS X cd to repair permissions

Data Bytes Computers - Montreal, QC
Ventes & Services / Sales & Services

engaged
Feb 2, 2003, 05:55 PM

You have to boot off the Mac OS X cd to repair permissions[
More hassle than I'm up for at the moment - think I'll wait for the next version which will hopefully correct this issue. It's not an app I see myself using much. Thanks anyway.

Dace
Mac Elite
Feb 2, 2003, 06:17 PM

I'd like to see 42 support custom resolutions. I like encoding my (X)(S)VCDs in 720x480 resolution. Then I'll give it a try.

Now all we are missing is VCDEasy for Mac.

JLL
Professional Poster
Feb 2, 2003, 06:31 PM

Originally posted by Dace:
You have to boot off the Mac OS X cd to repair permissions
No you don't!

Open Disk Utility.

Click on the partition name - not the disk itself.

Go to First Aid.

Click on Repair Disk Permissions.
JLL

- My opinions may have changed, but not the fact that I am right.

WiseWeasel  (op)
Feb 2, 2003, 08:15 PM

I'd like to see 42 support custom resolutions. I like encoding my (X)(S)VCDs in 720x480 resolution. Then I'll give it a try.
(S)VCD and DVD only support certain resolutions. You can't make a 720*480 SVCD and expect it to play on anything. I think what you are looking for is a DVD. For that rez, just get yourself a DVD burner. Divx, on the other hand, can be any resolution, and I agree that there should be an option for full DVD resolution Divx, like for the qDVD setting. But you will never get 720*480 (X,S)VCD support, ever.

benbargagliotti
Feb 2, 2003, 09:29 PM

the 42 developers have just said today that they won't update 42 anymore. they didn't get enough money, so their going to whine about it and take their ball and go home. get a life. if they wanted money for it, they should have charged people for it.

ben

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2003, 09:56 PM

Its been out all of one day or so and they are saying this? Gesh!

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 2, 2003, 10:01 PM

Originally posted by SwarmyCurve:
Its been out all of one day or so and they are saying this? Gesh!
Linky

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Feb 2, 2003, 10:21 PM

Those lame ass whiners. And they don't want to make it a shareware app because "it would be a bad move". I can only imagin that it would be a bad move because of the motionpicture industry.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 2, 2003, 11:00 PM

Yeah, really.

They need to understand the audience for an application like this -

BTP
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2003, 01:12 AM

Yeah, cheap ass b*stards that couldn't easily convert DVD's without this app or donate $1 to the authors. That audience?

4,700 downloads on VT, 1,000 on Macupdate, donations -$200.

Sad.

Oh, and that's not to mention the email they get where people bitch at them and ask for this and that, all the while few thanking them. It is the appreciation that is lacking. I mean if you donate $1 or$5, that doesn't come close to what the app is worth or what their time is worth, but it shows appreciation.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

milenko11
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 3, 2003, 01:28 AM

what the hell are you talking about? it's freeware! freeware! if they wanted people to pay then they should have made it shareware. simple as that. they act like they are starving and living out in the cold. they are college students who are getting a ride from their parents. they are just a bunch of whiners and I do hope they stop developing this app.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2003, 02:07 AM

I'll chime in. I've been following this for a few weeks and have had a short email session witht he author too. When he/she first started 42, it was a 'hey look what I'm making" type thing. in the original thread, someone said "hell, I'd pay for that" and the author said "really?" Then the author set up a donation link and asked for donations. Then they released 42 a few days ago, and gave it to VT no doubt as freeware. Now, they are whining that they only made $200 for all the downloads. Wait I'm missing something here. You put something on VT and list is as 'freeware' then you get mad that no one has donated and say that mac users are that cheap?

I haven't donated yet because I haven't been able to rip a DVD yet. Fine, some can contribute to the developement, but the author did this for himself and as a 'look what i made app". I'm not going to donate until I personally see that I persoanlly will benefit from this app. Even then, after all this bickering, I'm not sure what's going on.

Drama for yo mama.
All Your Signature Are Belong To Us!

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2003, 02:10 AM

Originally posted by BTP:
Yeah, cheap ass b*stards that couldn't easily convert DVD's without this app or donate $1 to the authors. That audience?

4,700 downloads on VT, 1,000 on Macupdate, donations -$200.

Sad.

Oh, and that's not to mention the email they get where people bitch at them and ask for this and that, all the while few thanking them. It is the appreciation that is lacking. I mean if you donate $1 or$5, that doesn't come close to what the app is worth or what their time is worth, but it shows appreciation.
K, I know it listed as FREEWARE on VT, not sure about macupdate. So tell me, how many of those 4,700 people know about the donation? That's sad. If they wanted donations, they should have made it more obvious. There isn't even a fricking link in the dmg folder to donate to!

Come on, it's one thing to support the author, it's another to take up the fight without all the facts.

BTP
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2003, 02:19 AM

Originally posted by milenko11:
what the hell are you talking about? it's freeware! freeware! if they wanted people to pay then they should have made it shareware. simple as that. they act like they are starving and living out in the cold. they are college students who are getting a ride from their parents. they are just a bunch of whiners and I do hope they stop developing this app.
I see you are lacking any understading. Due to the nature of what this app can do, they will make more problems for themselves if they make it shareware. Simple as that. Only two are college students, but that is immaterial.

Whining? Like the wining of Mac users that until now did have an app that did this? And seriously, would it kill people to donate $1? a $1!?!

Point being, no good deed goes unpunished. These guys busted some @ss on making this and there is very little appreciation. How would you feel? Also, for the future, if the do stop developing this app, the there is no replacement. I too hope they stop developing it. Why should they work so hard for nothing but compaints in their inbox.
A lie can go halfway around the world before the truth even gets its boots on. - Mark Twain

BTP
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2003, 02:28 AM

KidRed:

It has to be listed as freeware, legal troubles would ensue otherwise.

They accept donations on their website, but you have a point, maybe they need to be more aggressive in asking for donations. Possibly, they have to be more discreet in asking for donations. (?)

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 3, 2003, 11:38 AM

Originally posted by KidRed:
I haven't donated yet because I haven't been able to rip a DVD yet...

I'm not going to donate until I personally see that I persoanlly will benefit from this app.
Yeah, the beta 42 didn't work for me, and I hear that the 1.0 doesn't consistently work for DVD-9 to DVD-5 either.

In any case, the software has only been out for a couple of days, and I haven't had a chance to test it yet. (Converting a DVD days a half day or so too.)

pilauh
Forum Regular
Feb 3, 2003, 03:59 PM

I should be really happy to donate... I didn't figure out how to get a less than 1.1GB avi file...

let me try the stuff, make my own mind, be sure that's worth it and then pay for it...

I don't understand that whole situation... if this is the end of it, sad story, that was (and sure still is) a winner...

to quit at v1.0, never saw that in my entire life...

C ya 42 makers, what was the purpose of it all then...?

late 2001 iBook (combo drive)
384MB, 20GB
OS X 10.2.4
Harman/Kardon SoundSticks

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2003, 05:51 PM

Originally posted by BTP:
KidRed:

It has to be listed as freeware, legal troubles would ensue otherwise.

They accept donations on their website, but you have a point, maybe they need to be more aggressive in asking for donations. Possibly, they have to be more discreet in asking for donations. (?)
At least in the read me. No arguement more could donate because they can't charge for the nature of the app, but I'm sure 5,000+ people have no idea about donating, where to donate or that it would be better for furture dev if they did. That's why I'm a little bitter. They don't tell anyone then get mad that no one did. And that's after the fact they nbever intended to charge until someone suggested it.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 3, 2003, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by Eug:
Yeah, the beta 42 didn't work for me, and I hear that the 1.0 doesn't consistently work for DVD-9 to DVD-5 either.

In any case, the software has only been out for a couple of days, and I haven't had a chance to test it yet. (Converting a DVD days a half day or so too.)
I'm trying it on XXX (vin deisel) and it got past the preview stage finally. It's been going for about 5 hours now and has maybe an hour left if that. So I'll report back once it's done.

TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2003, 09:25 PM

I'm trying it on XXX (vin deisel) and it got past the preview stage finally. It's been going for about 5 hours now and has maybe an hour left if that. So I'll report back once it's done.
That's faster than the times I have. These were the times on a 667Mhz, 512 RAM running 10.2.3:

Top Gun (1hr.49min) = 9 hrs. & 1.06GB file
Spider-Man (2hrs.1min) = 14 hrs. & 1.8GB

So far forty-two has been wonderful. I rip the DVD -> avi and play it in VLC. Works great!

Although at this rate, I might just have to buy another PowerBook because I'll run out of space. My PowerBook is 30GB. I've already used 17GB for music and movies. I guess only about 12 more movies. Hehehe. I'm ok with that!

Dace
Mac Elite
Feb 3, 2003, 10:23 PM

(S)VCD and DVD only support certain resolutions. You can't make a 720*480 SVCD and expect it to play on anything. I think what you are looking for is a DVD. For that rez, just get yourself a DVD burner. Divx, on the other hand, can be any resolution, and I agree that there should be an option for full DVD resolution Divx, like for the qDVD setting. But you will never get 720*480 (X,S)VCD support, ever.
For those who don't know, an X(S)VCD is a (S)VCD which has a lower or higher res and/or bitrate than what is standard. I've encoded several X(S)VCDs at 720x480 and/or at a higher or lower bitrate and they've all played flawlessly on my Apex DVD player as well as my friend's Samsung DVD player. So never say never if you don't know for sure.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2003, 12:24 AM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
Although at this rate, I might just have to buy another PowerBook because I'll run out of space. My PowerBook is 30GB. I've already used 17GB for music and movies. I guess only about 12 more movies. Hehehe. I'm ok with that!
Heh. I only have 20 of my 60 GB left on my GigaBook. Hence I bought another 60 GB Firewire laptop drive. And 30 GB of that is filled with MP3z (99% of which I encoded myself).

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2003, 01:57 AM

YAR!

btw, the program works great - make sure to donate if you use it regularly!

pilauh
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2003, 05:31 AM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
That's faster than the times I have. These were the times on a 667Mhz, 512 RAM running 10.2.3:

Top Gun (1hr.49min) = 9 hrs. & 1.06GB file
Spider-Man (2hrs.1min) = 14 hrs. & 1.8GB

So far forty-two has been wonderful. I rip the DVD -> avi and play it in VLC. Works great!

how do we burn a Divx-1CD (700MB, that is what I understood by that name) with a 1G or higher file ?

( Last edited by pilauh; Feb 4, 2003 at 06:00 AM. )
384MB, 20GB
OS X 10.2.4

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2003, 12:21 PM

K, maybe some of you can help out. Now that I've ripped my first DVD in SVCD mode, it's aorund 1gig or so, now what? I have a mpeg, mp2 and mpv, what do I do with them? Ultimately, I want to burn it to a DVD, I don't need movies on my HD, I just want to rip and burn to DVDs. Also, what's the best quality method that will fit on a DVD? I know you have the dual layered DVDs which won't work, I tired OSEx and had a 3 gig file but couldn't rip the last chapter, kept giving audio errors.

So which format does OSEx use? Is SVCD the best quality next under DVD? And what's the 'custom rate'? I want the highest qulaity that will fit on a DVD.

Dace
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2003, 12:48 PM

K, maybe some of you can help out. Now that I've ripped my first DVD in SVCD mode, it's aorund 1gig or so, now what? I have a mpeg, mp2 and mpv, what do I do with them? Ultimately, I want to burn it to a DVD, I don't need movies on my HD, I just want to rip and burn to DVDs. Also, what's the best quality method that will fit on a DVD? I know you have the dual layered DVDs which won't work, I tired OSEx and had a 3 gig file but couldn't rip the last chapter, kept giving audio errors.

So which format does OSEx use? Is SVCD the best quality next under DVD? And what's the 'custom rate'? I want the highest qulaity that will fit on a DVD.
Now you burn it; you'll have to chop it if you want to burn it on a cd.
MP2=Audio, MPV=Video and MPEG=Audio+Video. If the MPEG works well, delete the 2 others. The best quality on a DVD is DVD Most movies are less than 4GB, OSeX doesn't encode, it hacks thru the copy prrotection and thus rips the DVD....in other words it's an extractor. Super Video CD is best b4 DVD; just remember that SVCD can only have stereo sound. SVCD standard bit rate is 2500, DVD standard bit rate is 3600. To learn how to rip a DVD and then burn it on a DVD, visit this site's How-Tos and Mac forum: www.vcdhelp.com

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2003, 01:48 PM

Dace- So what are you saying about encoding/extracting? What does 42 do? Just extract or does it encode as well? I read some from the link you gave and it seems my DVD player won't play SVCD very well, but some luck with XSVCD which I have no idea about. So you think I can rip as DVD with 42 and be able to fit on a DVD-R? If so, how do I do it? Use FCP or just use Toast?

btw- I ripped as SVCD and the video had major artifact issues and the sound didn't make it thru my soundsticks, only system speaker and was really hard to hear. Does that mean it's a bad rip or that the DVD is hard to rip from?

Dace
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2003, 03:06 PM

Dace- So what are you saying about encoding/extracting? What does 42 do? Just extract or does it encode as well? I read some from the link you gave and it seems my DVD player won't play SVCD very well, but some luck with XSVCD which I have no idea about. So you think I can rip as DVD with 42 and be able to fit on a DVD-R? If so, how do I do it? Use FCP or just use Toast?

btw- I ripped as SVCD and the video had major artifact issues and the sound didn't make it thru my soundsticks, only system speaker and was really hard to hear. Does that mean it's a bad rip or that the DVD is hard to rip from?
Not entirely too sure how 42 works...I haven't used it. It either reads from the disc and encodes or it rips it and then encodes it. Don't rely too much on on what the site says about your DVD player...best thing to do would be to test it yourself. Ripping a DVD and then encoding it is no easy task...it takes quite a bit of practice....and on the Mac platform, it can be very frustating. It took me a few months learning about (X)(S)VCDs...looking for Mac apps...trying out different methods...burning a few coasters...etc. I can't help you much on how to rip a DVD to burn it on a DVD...I don't have a Superdrive : (just a combo drive) I can only point you to guides and forums that might help.

Ask your question here or make a search there and I'm sure you'll find your answer. Easiest method would be to get a PC or VPC and then Kazaa and then download your movie already encoded in DivX(then use toast to encode DivX to VCD) or (S)VCD.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Feb 4, 2003, 03:22 PM

It rips it to your hard drive and then encodes it.

I never got that far with the beta though, and I still haven't tried 1.0 yet.

KidRed
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2003, 04:13 PM

Not entirely too sure how 42 works...I haven't used it. It either reads from the disc and encodes or it rips it and then encodes it. Don't rely too much on on what the site says about your DVD player...best thing to do would be to test it yourself. Ripping a DVD and then encoding it is no easy task...it takes quite a bit of practice....and on the Mac platform, it can be very frustating. It took me a few months learning about (X)(S)VCDs...looking for Mac apps...trying out different methods...burning a few coasters...etc. I can't help you much on how to rip a DVD to burn it on a DVD...I don't have a Superdrive : (just a combo drive) I can only point you to guides and forums that might help.

Ask your question here or make a search there and I'm sure you'll find your answer. Easiest method would be to get a PC or VPC and then Kazaa and then download your movie already encoded in DivX(then use toast to encode DivX to VCD) or (S)VCD.
It only took about 6 hours to rip, I'm not sure if I can get a movie that fast off Kaaza unless a server was wide open and stayed open. Most conenctions don't last long or the speed isn't all that great. I'll try kaaza agian jsut to see.

Will the dvix format look good on a DVD player? I thought divx was the lowest quality?

iOliverC
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 4, 2003, 04:24 PM

So 42 will NOT work for PAL DVDs?

Never?

Oliver

Dace
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2003, 04:45 PM

It only took about 6 hours to rip, I'm not sure if I can get a movie that fast off Kaaza unless a server was wide open and stayed open. Most conenctions don't last long or the speed isn't all that great. I'll try kaaza agian jsut to see.

Will the dvix format look good on a DVD player? I thought divx was the lowest quality?
I downloaded a 750mb movie from Kazaa in about 2 hours...Kazaa is the fastest. DivX has been acclaimed for being DVD quality that can fit on 1 cd. When searching on Kazaa, try looking for files that are at least 500mb big....anything lower and the quality might not be so great. There is also eDonkey on which you can find very good rips already encoded as (S)VCD...it's slower than Kazaa, but I figure it takes the same amount of time that it would take you to encode a movie (not to mention it saves you the trouble of having to encode). www.Sharereactor.com is a website that list links to good quality files on eDonkey. Finally, there used to be stand alone DivX players...but not anymore. Most of those players needed a membership in order to play the DivX...meaning they don't work anymore. Some use Sega Dreamcast to play DivX files...don't know how exactly.

pilauh
Forum Regular
Feb 4, 2003, 05:00 PM

am I dumb ?
am I the only one that doesn't catch the 1 Divx CD situation ?
is it possible to get a less than 700MB (and then burn it) file?
trash me if I'm wrong, i don't get it...

384MB, 20GB
OS X 10.2.4

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Feb 4, 2003, 05:15 PM

Originally posted by iOliverC:
So 42 will NOT work for PAL DVDs?

Never?

Oliver
AAAAGGGGGGGG!
it this true?
This app as just become useless to me!

BTP
Mac Elite
Feb 4, 2003, 08:53 PM

I suggest that those who want to learn about 42 read the Vcdhelp forum. The developes post there often.

The authors have been pleading for people to send them PAL DVD's so they can build support for it. They'll send them back too. Without PAL DVD's for the developers, they can't build support.

Forum Links
Forum Rules