Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > what to backup in preparation of a Jaguar clean install ?

what to backup in preparation of a Jaguar clean install ?
pilauh
Forum Regular
Aug 13, 2002, 09:07 PM

Hi,

a simple question : which files or folders do I have to backup in order to have them ready after a clean install of 10.2 (which is the way i will probably follow, but I might be wrong and would be happy to discuss this too...) ?

I use Retrospect usually to keep my Applications folder safe somewhere else, but in order to perform the clean install what do I have to backup : library, folders from the system, applications support, ... I don't know at all, and couldn't find that out on these forums.

So, surely some of you used to perform backup's and clean install might post a little "how-to" with a step-by-step procedure especially written for some newbie like me...

my computer is my tool, and I don't know such things and don't wan't to lose something..

(otherwise, I can consider to simply upgrade, but I read it was much better to restart from scratch... reformat, and clean install..)

all your help will be appreciated

late 2001 iBook (combo drive)
384MB, 20GB
OS X 10.2.4
Harman/Kardon SoundSticks

Ricky
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2002, 09:13 PM

Since I keep everything in my Home directory, I just backup everything that's in there. I think that's an easy way to do things.

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 13, 2002, 11:33 PM

This is the list of directories my personal backup script uses:
  • /Users
    /Library
    /usr/local
    /private/etc
    /share
    /private/var/backups
    /private/var/cron
    /private/var/mail
    /private/var/db
    /private/var/lib
    /private/var/log
    /private/var/msgs
    /private/var/root
    /Applications/Local
I think that is a pretty complete list. However, depending on how you use your computer, you may not need all of those backed up, or some may be different. It may be excessive for a regular (no coding, no shell)user, but it can't hurt.

Also, note that I install everything in /Applications/Local so I can easily back my stuff up and not worry about backing up Apple's stuff.
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

Forum Links
Forum Rules