Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Perspective

Perspective
Spliffdaddy
Posting Junkie
Dec 8, 2004, 07:45 PM

I saw a boy, maybe seventeen years old, his arms folded on the table in front of him. He slept with his head rested sideways on his folded arms. Nothing unusual, really, except for the fact that he was asleep at the McDonald's restaurant inside the local Wal-Mart. His nametag said 'Rick' just above 'Wal-Mart', I noticed, as I pried the styrofoam lid from my 'Big Breakfast' and prepared to eat. Really, I only wanted a hashbrown and a coffee - but I thought it would sound silly to ask for a hashbrown. I poked at the barely-cooked scrambled eggs and decided the biscuit looked more appetizing. Well, it would have been better if I had some grape jelly to spread over it - but I thought it would sound silly to ask for grape jelly...besides, I really only wanted the hashbrown. I broke off a piece of biscuit with the flimsy plastic fork which had three prongs left, having given up a prong during my struggle to free it from its plastic envelope. The biscuit didn't have much of a taste, but it had a decent texture. I reached for the coffee, carefully, knowing it was extremely hot only a few minutes ago. Just as I figured, it was still too hot to sip. Though I tried my best to transfer a few drops over my lips as I sucked-in air in an effort to cool it somewhat. The effort went awry as I began coughing uncontrollably. Even with the plastic lid in place, I was unable to place the cup back onto the table without spilling coffee on my pants and all over the table. "****", I said aloud, not expecting anybody to hear me. 'Rick' instantly lifted his head...but he didn't look at me. Instead he looked at his wristwatch for several seconds, as his eyes attempted to focus or, perhaps, his sleeping brain attempted to decipher what the time really meant. I walked toward front of the restaurant where I had noticed a napkin dispenser. It's my lucky day, I thought, as I grabbed a pack of grape jelly from the bowl beside the napkins. Mixed fruit, Strawberry, and Grape - on ice, no less. Damn sure would have been a silly thing to ask for, I mused as I made my smiling way back to my coffee-covered 'Big Breakfast'. Rick had fallen back asleep during my 15 second absence. Using the handle end of my three-pronged fork, I managed to spread grape jelly onto the biscuit that I really didn't want.
I kinda zoned-out for several minutes waiting for my coffee to cool. I remembered the lady who successfully sued McDonalds after being burned by hot coffee. That was years ago. She was a dumb-ass, in my estimation - until I felt the pain from my burning thigh. Perspective changes too many things. It can make the most unbelieveable happenings seem sincere and logical. I glanced at 'Rick' after some movement caught my eye. There was a girl carrying a child. She gently shook 'Rick's shoulder. Again, he instantly awoke and glanced at his wristwatch. The girl reached for his hand as if to say 'over here'. 'Rick' sat upright and smiled at her, motioning for the child. She offered the child to him and he accepted. As the child grasped 'Rick's thumb and giggled, the girl inquired about his night at work. "OK", he said, "I got finished a little early and they made me help with the 'seasonal' aisles." I saw a wedding band on 'Rick's finger as the child played with his thumb. "Here's your clothes...I have your lunch out in the car.", she said as she played with her child's hair. Lunch?, I thought, as I played with my jelly biscuit and waited for my coffee to cool. She sat his clothes on the table with a shirt on top that said 'Quik-Lube'. "You have half an hour before you have to be there...hurry up and get changed. I'll probably be in lay-away when you get done." Oh, I thought to myself, he works two jobs while your sorry ass buys stuff. I rolled my eyes. Something I do quite often. My coffee was finally drinkable about the time he asked her "What do you need to get?" She reached into her purse and retrieved a folded paper. It unfolded into an angel shape. On the outside was printed "Jon" and below it "Age 10". It was one of those Christmas wish things for disadvantaged kids from the local mall. From the 'Angel tree', more specifically. She offered the paper angel to 'Rick. 'Rick' smiled as he read the list inside. "He wants something for his brother first?", Rick asked, sounding astounded as he continued reading silently. "Hurry up", Rick's wife demanded as she took their child into her arms and pushed his 'Quik-Lube' uniform toward him. Rick checked his watch as he stood up. "Just a minute, my leg is asleep".
Rick limped toward the restroom with his clothes in hand as his wife fitted her child into a shopping cart. I stared at my relatively untouched 'Big Breakfast' that I did want and wondered if 'Rick' even bothered having breakfast. I wondered why a 'disadvantaged' young couple would fancy themselves as being advantaged enough to provide a Christmas for a 'disadvantaged' boy. Then it occurred to me that, perhaps, I wasn't viewing it from the right perspective. 'Rick' and his wife felt fortunate to have what little they had - unlike myself, who has more than enough...yet wasn't planning on giving any of it away. In order to feel fortunate, I'm guessing that 'Rick' and his family must have, at some point, been very unfortunate. Odd that I would think of them as a young struggling family when they apparently feel just the opposite. 'Rick' taught me a little about perspective in about 5 minutes - without knowing he did.
I finished my coffee and then I wandered around the 'Bed & Bath' section in Wal-Mart for about 15 minutes - keeping a close eye on the Lay-away department. When 'Rick' and his wife left the counter I approached the clerk and asked if it was OK if I paid for whatever that young couple had placed on lay-away. The clerk looked at me without answering. She appeared to be trying to figure out what sort of scam I was attempting. She finally said "Sure, but you can't have the items." I smiled and told her I didn't want the items - and that I owed 'Rick' a favor. She smiled back and told me "Rick's a sweetheart, we love him to death." I paid the $66 and some change and asked if she would tell 'Rick' "thanks" for me.
Yesterday morning I went to the McDonald's at my local Wal-Mart and I didn't see a boy. But I saw a man, about 17 years old, sitting there asleep. His nametag said 'Rick'.

Cubeoid
Baninated
Dec 8, 2004, 07:55 PM

Great story Spliffdaddy! What you did was truly special. Salutations and Respect to you Mister!

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2004, 08:07 PM

wow great story, thanks for sharing (pun intended)

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

finboy
Dec 8, 2004, 08:07 PM

Originally posted by Spliffdaddy:
His nametag said 'Rick'.
Dude, really nice story. That guy could have been my brother, cousin, etc., so thanks.

And greetings to NC, grew up there. Lotsa nice folks there, and I miss it something awful. TX is nice, but it ain't The Piedmont.

Also, a friend of mine works for a local paper (not The Obscurer) and might be interested in putting it in. Post back if you're interested and I'll point her to it. They were looking for Christmas stories last week.

hayesk
Dec 8, 2004, 10:21 PM

It always amazes me how the most generous people are often some of the poorest.

CreepingDeth
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2004, 10:28 PM

That's one of those great Hallmark card stories.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 10:49 PM

That's a pretty pimpy story.
Perspective changes too many things.
Werd.

fireside
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2004, 10:53 PM

great story, but i found the formating a bit hard to read. it just looks like a big block of text.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 11:06 PM

Great story Spliff. You made my evening.

d4nth3m4n
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2004, 11:13 PM

Originally posted by fireside:
great story, but i found the formating a bit hard to read. it just looks like a big block of text.
agreed, but let's not let that detract from the story.

amazing spliff. has me thinking about lending a hand this season.

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2004, 11:17 PM

Thanks for the story Spliff. Actually brought a tear to my eye.

drive-thru
Senior User
Dec 9, 2004, 12:28 PM

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2004, 01:00 PM

Thumbs-Up, dude

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2004, 01:04 PM

Thanks, Spliff.

-t

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2004, 01:08 PM

wolfen
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by hayesk:

It always amazes me how the most generous people are often some of the poorest.
Thanks for the story, Spliff. I'm in the NC Triangle and see a lot of people like Rick around here.

It has been shown time and again that as a percentage of income, poor people give much more than rich. I know a single parent mom of 2 kids who selflessly took on a junkie-relative's 2 kids. So she works 3 jobs to feed 4 kids -- half of which aren't even hers.
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

TheBadgerHunter
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 01:46 PM

Great story

swrate
Senior User
Dec 9, 2004, 04:50 PM

thanks for this long meditation.
"Those people so uptight, they sure know how to make a mess"

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 05:28 PM

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2004, 06:09 PM

I appreciate the kind words, folks...but I didn't do anything to merit kind words. I acted out of pity more than anything else. Rick and his wife acted out of kindness - almost as if it was their duty in life.

Forget it's the 'holiday season' and forget about the religious aspect of it all. I'm not religious or anything. If it promotes caring and kindness I'm all for it, however. Doesn't much matter who's behind it all.

After I read what I posted it came across as if I were tooting my own horn. That's not what I meant to do at all. Mostly I wanted to share something that taught me a lesson - that showed how wrong I could be. A simple breakfast that I didn't even want turned out to be something of a lesson for me.

I hope it inspires others to lend a hand anytime somebody could use the help...wherever and whenever it happens be.

In order to promote the spirit of giving I'll offer an incentive to whoever displays an act of giving. Whether it's your time or money, if you do (or already did) something for somebody you don't know (or know) - and that you feel is worthwhile - post it here in this thread. Why? Because you deserve some kind words, too. And because one random MacNN member will get a brand new iPod Mini - courtesy of myself. Wherever you live and whatever act of kindness you display.

I'll leave the final decision up to a MacNN moderator. All I ask is that the decision is purely random. I will ship directly to the chosen member, or if you would rather I didn't know your real name and address, I will ship to a moderator who is willing to forward it to the chosen member.

Do something nice. You'll be a winner even if you don't win the Ipod mini.

Deadline is Sunday Dec 19 at 12:00 midnight EST

I will ship Monday 20th.

(ps, apologies for the difficult-to-read initial post..I was concerned about exceeding the maximum character limit)
( Last edited by Spliffdaddy; Dec 9, 2004 at 11:56 PM. )

Demonhood
Administrator
Dec 9, 2004, 06:15 PM

thanks for sharing spliffdaddy.

and i don't think it sounded as if you were tooting your own horn. merely sharing something that many of us needed to be reminded of.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2004, 06:49 PM

Thank you Spliff. Offering the iPod to a macnn member is a very generous gesture to say the least, but I think your story is a gift in and of itself. Consider my perspective renewed.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 08:04 PM

Sounds like we are cut from the same cloth, Spliff. I am approaching graduating from college (next Friday). I have worked 40 hour weeks for 3 years to support myself and save towards a house (eventually�10 years from now). In the last 18 months, I have been exposed to problems and unfortunate circumstances that I couldn�t even imagine overcoming. This is from volunteering at the local community meals program. Even though I work to support myself, I have felt beyond advantaged and fortunate. To quantify my feelings of appreciation for everything I have been helped with in life would be futile�impossible to express in words.

My college experience has been extremely challenging, rewarding and eye opening. These two in combination led me last Friday to donate a portion of my savings to a small annual scholarship for a student from a disadvantaged home. The scholarship will begin in 2005 and hopefully continue as long as possible. Paying it forward, and providing the opportunity for a rose to grow from the concrete is the best I can do.

You are a good man, Spliff. There need to be more stand-up people like you.

Amorya
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 09:33 PM

Great story! Kinda humbling too. I confess I'm often not particularly generous because I need to be reminded to be - I don't think about it otherwise. I try and buy a big issue if I see one, for example, but I tend not to think about walking into a charity shop and making a donation.

I guess the most notable thing I did recently was to go to Ukraine last summer and work with disadvantaged kids. But I saw that more as something I enjoyed... I guess I do these things for the wrong reasons!

'Twas nice to read a profound post on MacNN. I have to say that this is the forum I come to in search of light-hearted amusement or techy stuff - not the one I'd go to for something meaningful. That meant that such a post was even more of a pleasant surprise

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2004, 09:46 PM

Great story! Thanks for the read!

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Dec 9, 2004, 10:05 PM

great post. reminds me of something i've been thinking of doing since summer. i'll post again if i do it and am able to get others to do the same. .. but yeah .. walmart ... *sigh*

big thumbs up for what you did though.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 9, 2004, 10:05 PM

Whether you acted out of kindness or pity is really irrelevant. You did something decent, something that when a young family finds out about it, they will be surprised and thrilled. They will always wonder who their secret Santa is, and although they will have no idea who paid their bill, they will always hold you in their heart.

And I would be happy to administer your holiday give-away for you if you'd like, including forwarding the item to the winner if required.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Zimphire
Baninated
Dec 9, 2004, 10:11 PM

This is what it's all about folks.

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 9, 2004, 11:41 PM

I'll take you up on that offer, ThinkInsane. Dunno exactly how to create a random winner - but I'm sure it can be done. I'll cover postage, taxes, and any customs fees or assessments you might encounter - if you end up having to forward the iPod mini.

Looks like Amorya qualifies so far.

By the way...I don't much care if your act of kindness pre-dates the original post. Maybe you volunteered your time or money last year - whenever it was, post it here. Even if it was for an hour at a company-sponsored Christmas Bureau that you got paid for (I'm guilty) back in '96.

Too many contributions go unnoticed. Those are the best ones, in my opinion.

Think hard. There probably aren't any MacNN members that don't qualify already. I don't care where you live or what good deed you did. All I know is I have an iPod mini without a home.
( Last edited by Spliffdaddy; Dec 9, 2004 at 11:52 PM. )

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 9, 2004, 11:49 PM

Well your story has inspired me to go and pick up an angle off our "Angel Tree" here at school and buy a gift for whichever child is on it.

If I could pick someone to give the iPod to, I would pick the tow-truck guy who didn't charge me to tow my car to a gas station because he didn't think $60 for a couple gallons of gas seemed fair. He just took me to the gas station and dropped me off. He asked only that I do something kind for someone in return. I haven't done anything specifically to honor that but I often think about it when dealing with people. I try to give them the benefit of the doubt.

But I guess my actual act of kindness was a few months ago, helping a family I am close to when their basement was flooded by a creek. I helped to keep the water back from getting through the basement door. But I did it because I cared for the family. I wasn't trying to be a hero or anything. I knew they needed the help.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 02:21 PM

Inspired by this thread, I talked to the advisor who I coordinated the scholarship with, and asked how I could help my local college community before I leave with donations. A local homeless shelter was in need of a computer for email/record keeping, so I donated a beige G3, 17 inch monitor and HP 4ML printer + linksys router, and set them up last night. I also wrote them a check to cover the first 3 months of DSL. I know that this computer that sat in a corner of my closet will now be used everyday to do dozens of people good.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 10, 2004, 02:42 PM

good stuff, alan.

thank you.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Dec 10, 2004, 03:07 PM

In order to promote the spirit of giving I'll offer an incentive to whoever displays an act of giving. Whether it's your time or money, if you do (or already did) something for somebody you don't know (or know) - and that you feel is worthwhile - post it here in this thread. Why? Because you deserve some kind words, too. And because one random MacNN member will get a brand new iPod Mini - courtesy of myself. Wherever you live and whatever act of kindness you display.
I think you should take the $249 for the iPod mini and donate it to a charity instead.

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2004, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
I think you should take the $249 for the iPod mini and donate it to a charity instead.
I'll offer the winner the choice of an iPod mini or $250.00 US.

Or I can donate the money or the iPod mini to a charity or individual of their choice - in their name.

lil'babykitten
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 03:19 PM

Nice story, spliffy,

tsheley
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 10, 2004, 03:24 PM

Great story.

Each year for Christmas my family donates to a Medical Mission that goes to Casa Hogar in Peru. While in Peru the Physicians visit an orphanage and perform need surgery on the children there. The perform eye surgery and cleft pallete operations. Along with the operations they donate glasses and other medical supplies.

Instead of giving gifts to each other we do a group donation of around $700 - $800. We figured the reason it was getting harder to shop for each other was because we already had everything we needed.

I hope that by reading the above that more people will get involved and help out not only during the holiday season but all year around.
( Last edited by tsheley; Dec 10, 2004 at 07:24 PM. )
1.6ghz G5 Power Mac/1.5GB RAM/Superdrive

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Dec 10, 2004, 03:29 PM

Or I can donate the money or the iPod mini to a charity or individual of their choice - in their name.

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2004, 03:49 PM

I didn't get this far in life without help from people. Nobody does. Believe me, though, I'm the last person that would ask for help. Can't help but think there are more folks just like me. I'm not wealthy - don't get me wrong. But I've never been hungry or homeless.

I find myself with another 'holiday season' in which I have nobody to give to. My family needs nothing and wants even less. I've been damned lucky. Yeah, I worked hard in order to retire at age 38 - but I didn't work as hard as most people do. There was always someone there to catch me when I fell. Fortunate doesn't go far enough to describe my life.

The older I get, the more I like people. Ten years ago you wouldn't recognize me as the person I am today. I concluded that there is really no other reason we exist except to help others have a better life. I can't think of a more worthy cause.

Don't call me a liberal or I'll kick your ass. I still believe in self-sufficiency and personal responsibility - and I don't like helping people who won't help themselves. Those people are rare cases and do not, in any way, detract from the masses of others who will help themselves if given the opportunity.

I'm not a safety net. I'm just a guy who tries to keep people from falling into it.

'Welfare' and social programs are the result of fortunate people like myself who don't want to be bothered with helping people directly. Shame on a society where the government does the job of its citizens.

Find a need and fill it. If there's an afterlife, you'll qualify. If there's not, then what better way to be remembered than to be thought of as caring and helpful? You can't possibly lose.

SafariX
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2004, 03:58 PM

Another great post. Thanks, Spliff.

brapper
Professional Poster
Dec 10, 2004, 04:06 PM

Really nice thing you did there. I mean, at times I try to do nice things on small scale, be it a small donation, picking up a tab, or helping in terms of giving time.
Really, I feel as though I'm not doing enough sometimes but it's difficult to get motivated towards others, when I feel like I have so much I need to get straightened out too.
In comparison my worries are small, I'm know.
Cheers to you for taking up an opportunity to do something nice for others. Often we're too busy to even think about it, it's a "holiday miracle" that you did.

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 10, 2004, 04:21 PM

If 'Rick' only knew what he started.

finboy
Dec 10, 2004, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
Consider my perspective renewed.
Me too. I was humbled.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 10, 2004, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Eug Wanker:
If that's what the winner wants, then by all means, but I don't think it's a bad thing for spliffy to reward someone for doing a good deed. A lot of our members are students, and they might not be able to afford an iPod mini on there own. Someone who does something nice, with no expectation of a reward, deserves one just as much as the person they helped. I think it's a good idea, and very generous of spliff to offer. Remember, there may well be people in our midst here that are just as poor but generous as Rick. Don't knock hooking them up with something nice, as we have no idea of anyone here's circumstances.
Nemo me impune lacesset

macroy
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 12:26 AM

YOU MADE MY WIFE CRY!!!

Seriously, that was very, very touching. My hats off to you. The one thing that really touches me is that you did it in a "discreet" way. It's one thing to be charitable, but its another to do it without advertising it.

I hope you don't mind, but I like to send it to a few of my buddies as part of my holiday wishes. Who knows.. it may get circulated back to you .

Regards.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 01:47 AM

Originally posted by macroy:
I hope you don't mind, but I like to send it to a few of my buddies as part of my holiday wishes. Who knows.. it may get circulated back to you .

Regards.
I want to share it with my friends as well; put it on my blog especifically, but Spliffdaddy hasn't gotten back to me with the "ok" yet.

Spliffdaddy  (op)
Posting Junkie
Dec 11, 2004, 03:23 AM

I don't care if you reprint the post elsewhere. Just take care not to mention which city it took place in. I'm thinking it wouldn't be difficult for a person to identify the real'Rick' - and it (probably) ain't cool if that should happen. Use a location like 'North Carolina' instead of the city of Charlotte.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Dec 11, 2004, 05:00 AM

I don't care if you reprint the post elsewhere. Just take care not to mention which city it took place in. I'm thinking it wouldn't be difficult for a person to identify the real'Rick' - and it (probably) ain't cool if that should happen. Use a location like 'North Carolina' instead of the city of Charlotte.
Will do. Thanks gain.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2004, 07:32 AM

I bought fried dumplings for all the office cleaners yesterday.

They were so exited, they only get paid about 45USD a month, and usually just eat rice for 2 meals a day. I suspect they call me the dumpling man now.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Dec 11, 2004, 08:23 AM

Originally posted by moonmonkey:
I bought fried dumplings for all the office cleaners yesterday.

They were so exited, they only get paid about 45USD a month, and usually just eat rice for 2 meals a day. I suspect they call me the dumpling man now.
you'd be surprised. chinese people (not the younger generation, but those of my parents) often come from a situation so bad, two bowls of rice is considered a dream. my parents had something called jook (congee) ... basically a little bit of rice boiled with a lot of water to make a rice soup. that way .. one bowl of rice would feed a family. my mom told me how my bad was literally skin and bones when she met him...

my parents still have clothes that are 20-30 years old. they dont shop on clothes. they dont watch movies. they dont have cable (expensive). no cell phones, house filled with those low power flourescent bulbs. shower head is one of those water saver ones that dispense very little water. ultra low flush toilets (if it's yellow .. let it mellow...).

during the lean years .. when me and my brother was growing up, i remember bowls of rice with canned sardines (splitting two fishes)...

top ramen ... me and my brother ate so much of that greasy crap .. because it was so cheap... *sigh* ... and to think .. now a days .. how much me and my brother waste... i try to be as frugal as possible because of my upbringing. my parents ... damn .. they dont do anything BUT work. it's funny how a lot of people tease asians americans (the older generation) by calling them fish breath, or laughing at how they are dressed or look... to this day, my mom has me or my brother cut her hair (if she doesnt do it herself), she wears the same clothes she wore years ago ... and she trudges off to work. as for the fishbreath comments... some folks (not my parents though) dont brush their teeth because they dont view buying toothbrush/paste as essential, they make enough to pay rent, and buy food. when you are barely breaking even, you dont care about how you dress, or how your hair looks, or how fresh your breath is.

i'm sure they appreciate the dumplings =) ... they probly arent used to random acts of kindness ... i'd like to think they are doing better than many of us who have our priorities mixed up.

Happy Holidays to you all.
I'll post up something in the coming days that everyone can do.
Oh .. one last thing.. if you have kids, or want something else to further change your perspective... Take them to a soup kitchen (i think that's what you guys call 'em)

In San Francisco, there's churches (like glide) that feed the homeless; although no one pays attention to it except on the holidays. IF you have some spoiled children, that'll help them understand NEED vs WANT.

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

finboy
Dec 13, 2004, 02:24 AM

Say bump.

Forum Links
Forum Rules