Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Flat Panel Speakers

Flat Panel Speakers
bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2000, 09:08 PM

I was thinking about getting flat pannel satellite speakers and a subwoofer that are all made by altec lansing. I like the idea of them being so small, because I can mount them on my wall to save desk space. Anyway, how do they compare to "regular" speakers? I know it's hard to compare speakers like that, but do flat ones sound bad? I have no idea. Here are the ones I was thinking about: http://www.alteclansing.com/products/atp3.html

------------------
Why 1984, won't be
like "1984"

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2000, 01:08 AM

From the reviews I've read, flat panel speakers tend to perform worse than that of a normal system...

RWoelk
Senior User
Jul 1, 2000, 11:06 AM

I have heard your Altec's used in a in-store display and I wasn't all that impressed, but you can't go wrong with the Monsoon line. They're fabulous!

------------------
Rocke "Why yes, I have brought our
network down." Woelk

Only the educated are free!-Epictetus

Zwilnik
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 1, 2000, 05:59 PM

I just bought a pair of Guillemot Maxi Flat Speakers (2.0) today. Very cheap (�30, although I got them for �20), but no bass bin, and a very low level before distorion kicks in.
If you used them as satellite speakers, or added a bass bin and a decent mini amplifier, they might be ok (which is what I'll probably try
Aaron

bradoesch  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 2, 2000, 12:11 AM

Hmm, I think I might get regular speakers instead. I'm looking for something fairly decent, without spending way too much. They're mostly for watching DVDs.

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 2, 2000, 01:07 AM

Whats your price range? If you want top of the line speakers, go for the 250$ Klipsch promedias, 4 speaker/sub. If you want something cheaper but of high qual, get what I did, cambridge soundworks fourpoint system, 4 speakers/sub for <100$.

------------------
---
"If you can't beat them, buy them"
- Microsoft

cbutter
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 2, 2000, 10:33 PM

I just bought a some Monsoon flat panel speakers with sub and they sound really good. I got them for $149 at thebigstore.com. The sub really pumps out the bass and the speakers are very clean. They take up very little space and are great if you are the only one using your computer as they are very focused. The color is nice and would compliment a G4 or Imac DV SE but would look good with any system in my opinion. A very sharp system for the money....plus a very good sounding system. If i had a hundred bucks fall from the sky I'd go for the Klipsch system but can't justify the extra cost.

bradoesch  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 10, 2000, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the info. I think I might get these speakers...they sound like they are pretty good.

------------------
Why 1984, won't be
like "1984"

slboett
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 10, 2000, 06:53 PM

The Monsoons's rock! I have about four sets of the MM1000s here and a couple fo the MM700s. They are much better than an iSub/iMac combo (IMHO).
They have a new, graphite-colored MM700 coming out soon to match the new Macs!

Scott
http://www.monsoonpower.com

MacOS761
Senior User
Jul 11, 2000, 10:43 AM

Just ordered the Monsoon MH-500's (low-budget college frosh-to-be) and I can't wait! Thanks to you guys and the folks in the "G4 Speakers" thread (in the G4 forum, natch). I'll let you know how they sound. ($90 at outpost.com)
<a href="http://www.macronyms.com" target="_blank"> </a>
kelsevinal: i am impervious to your "nerd" attacks

MacOS761
Senior User
Jul 12, 2000, 11:22 AM

WOW! I love those Monsoons! For $90, they really kick some bass around! I am quite impressed, and they look really cool with my 15" LCD monitor! Thanks again, folks!

Misha
Professional Poster
Jul 12, 2000, 11:23 AM

I personally wasn't impressed with the 500's sub, it's pretty darn small, but for the price you can't go wrong.

MacOS761
Senior User
Jul 13, 2000, 11:07 AM

Yeah, its not amazing, but it sure gets the job done. Better than my little two speaker setup that I was using before by far!

Forum Links
Forum Rules