Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > WATCH series 4 - many questions for possible first watch

WATCH series 4 - many questions for possible first watch
Ham Sandwich
Oct 15, 2018, 10:08 AM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:03 AM. )

P
Oct 15, 2018, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Can I keep the face on to display continuous blood pressure and heart rate in real time? I think that would be cool to show around the corners of the analog time screen.
Probably not the display on all the time., the battery would run out if you did that. It will show heart rate while in training mode.

Also, there’s no Edition anymore, so, are all of the models using Gorilla glass instead of sapphire?
The stainless steel models use sapphire still.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 15, 2018, 01:22 PM

Apple Watch shows blood pressure?

P
Oct 16, 2018, 04:55 AM

Mine doesn't. I don't think that Series 4 does either, but I may have missed something, so I left it vague.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2018, 06:29 AM

It doesn't. You need an extra device. There are some that work directly with Apple Watch via a Health-enabled app.

Ham Sandwich
Oct 16, 2018, 02:21 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:03 AM. )

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 16, 2018, 05:43 PM

Heart rate, yes. Blood pressure, how?

OreoCookie
Oct 17, 2018, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
Oh well, screw it then.
I was expecting a comfortable, compact wearable device like the watch to show real time bpm and blood pressure, and it should not run out of battery in a few hours.
You can't build a blood pressure monitor into a watch, because the watch sits in the wrong place. You need measure above the elbow with a sleeve. After the birth of our daughter, my wife was suffering from post partum hypertension. She was on a mobile, automatic blood pressure monitor. There is no way to do that unobtrusively on a watch — unless you put on a sleeve in addition.

That doesn't mean you can't add extra sensors beyond pulse meter and ECG. Some newer sports smart watches come a blood VO2 meter built-in. And I reckon you can think of other sensors to add here, but you are still limited by where the watch is.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

P
Oct 17, 2018, 11:13 AM

And to be clear - what takes battery is keeping the display on. You can certainly have it track pulse rate all the time if you want to. There are studies where doctors did this to detect heart conditions.

OreoCookie
Oct 18, 2018, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
And to be clear - what takes battery is keeping the display on. You can certainly have it track pulse rate all the time if you want to.
Yes, and AFAIK the pulse is tracked only intermittently unless you do sports. But that is of course usually enough.
Originally Posted by P View Post
There are studies where doctors did this to detect heart conditions.
Although if the medically certified pulse meter my mom had to wear some years back is any indication, these things are not small.

One important question here for medical applications is accuracy and reliability. For heart rate chest heart straps are more accurate than optical sensors placed on the wrist — provided they are seated properly. (I briefly used one, and it would always sag during exercise and the sensor would be unable to read my heartbeat any longer.)

Also for this reason, measuring blood pressure while you are moving is a big no-no. In the instructions of the blood pressure meter we have, it explicitly states that you should sit still and not cross your legs. Otherwise the reading is not necessarily accurate. And if your measurements produce garbage, the data is completely useless.

Blood oxygen levels may be another matter, though: there exist sensors on the market and for endurance athletes this does matter.

There is yet another big problem that you have to consider: it makes no sense to just gather data if you are not able to present that data in usable form to the athlete/user. Of course, the way this data is presented depends very much on the user: if you are an elderly person, then it is very useful that the Apple Watch can anticipate signs of a heart attack. But if you are an athlete, you would like to know other data, e. g. how your resting heart rate changes over time or what percentage of time you spend in which heart rate zone during exercise. And computed from that, athletes would like to see their a TSS score (a measure of the level of exertion).

So adding sensors without purpose may not be beneficial to the end user.

Ham Sandwich
Jun 25, 2019, 05:22 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:29 AM. )

OreoCookie
Jun 25, 2019, 07:13 PM

Those are toys, I wouldn’t waste your money on them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules