Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > We Miss Banninations: Or, Reddit killed the Bulletin Boards...

We Miss Banninations: Or, Reddit killed the Bulletin Boards...
turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 22, 2019, 04:29 PM

I’m feeling sorry for this generation of snow flakes.
They are obviously not able to deal with basic challenges of life.
And what’s worse - all the non-sense they are going to support and vote for. They are ripe for picking by unscrupulous politicians.

-t

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 22, 2019, 07:37 PM

Just like the legions of Fox-News brainwashed baby boomers who think penniless foreigners fleeing drug wars pose a threat to their way of life.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2019, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Just like the legions of Fox-News brainwashed baby boomers who think penniless foreigners fleeing drug wars pose a threat to their way of life.
So, by your logic, we should just let half of Middle- and South-America into the USA ?

Do you have a plan how this could be done without chaos ?
How are we going to provide housing, education, food, medical services etc for hundreds of millions, that, btw, are penniless ?

I think I know what you’re going to say next:

“It’s not going to be hundreds of millions.”

Really, what’s your plan to guarantee it’s not ?
How many millions of immigrants per year do you think would come ?
What immigration restrictions would you be willing to accept to prevent more than that ?

-t

-t

reader50
Administrator
Jun 23, 2019, 12:40 PM

Give me your tired, your poor
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free
- excerpt from The New Colossus, associated with the Statue of Liberty.

Apparently we have a long history of importing low-wage workers, so none of us have to take those jobs. Perhaps reasonable border checks like in years past, so they have to work at it to sneak in. And only do deportations when they're arrested for crimes? After all, those onions are not going to pick themselves.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 23, 2019, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
So, by your logic...

...I think I know what you’re going to say next:
Uncanny, it’s like watching Laura Ingram in a forum post. Those filthy darkies are coming for your country, Turlte, better round them up in concentration camps at the border, tearing infants away from their parents, that’s the way to deal with it.

I’d give them an easy path to citizenship and pay them to rebuild our crumbling nation, I’d pay them by levying massive taxes on the corporate criminals and Wall Street felons, I’d freeze every cent of money these crooks have illegally sheltered from taxes for decades, and use their ill-gotten thievery to revive a sense of common purpose for the poor and middle class.

What’s really hilarious is the father away from the border you get the more adamant Trumpers are about building the wall, almost as if the whole situation is being used to tap into a deep seated fear and hatred of our southern neighbors, a fine American brand of nationalistic racism. This disgusting inhumanity will be yet another stain on our country, at a time when we could have used our great wealth and influence to reinvent ourselves, we’ve reverted back to little more than scared fascists.

Have a great day

-s

Edit: This is becoming PWL material, probably shouldn’t have responding to lame-ass “snowflakes” bait but I did, I will not be commenting on this offshoot any further, couldn’t help myself, something about having a toddler and seeing small children being caged like animals makes me mad, weird right?

Ham Sandwich
Jun 23, 2019, 01:45 PM

[...deleted...]
( Last edited by Ham Sandwich; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:29 AM. )

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 23, 2019, 02:10 PM

Uncanny, it’s like watching Laura Ingram in a forum post. Those filthy darkies are coming for your country, Turlte, better round them up in concentration camps at the border, tearing infants away from their parents, that’s the way to deal with it.
Well, I could resort to a personal attack, but I refrain, because I give you the benefit of the doubt.
(Part of me thinks you disqualified yourself by invoking Godwin's law.)

I’d give them an easy path to citizenship and pay them to rebuild our crumbling nation, I
I actually agree with you.

Let them come in, give the the right to work, but stop giving free handouts to them (and anybody else).
Let them earn their way to prosperity, like other immigrants did in the US.

I’d pay them by levying massive taxes on the corporate criminals and Wall Street felons, I’d freeze every cent of money these crooks have illegally sheltered from taxes for decades, and use their ill-gotten thievery to revive a sense of common purpose for the poor and middle class.
I actually mostly agree with you as well.
Wall Street, the big banks *AND* corrupt politicians have screwed up our free markets, picking winners and losers.
This has to stop.

People should be able to get rich by hard work, but not by exploitation or political favors.

What’s really hilarious is the father away from the border you get
LOL, last I checked, you are further away from the border than me. Does this make your opinion worth less ?
And I don't think you realize what a clusterf*ck the border states have become.
The current system is untenable.

Neither the wall nor untethered immigration is a solution.

Trumpers are about building the wall, almost as if the whole situation is being used to tap into a deep seated fear and hatred of our southern neighbors, a fine American brand of nationalistic racism. This disgusting inhumanity will be yet another stain on our country, at a time when we could have used our great wealth and influence to reinvent ourselves, we’ve reverted back to little more than scared fascists.
I don't think the wall is a great solution.
It wouldn't be necessary if other things got fixed in this country.

But absent fixing other issues (Social Security, medical system / monopolies, Federal Reserve system that enriches those closest to the money spigot etc...), the system can't take unrestrained immigration.
And THAT was my whole point, before you started accusing me af a whole slew of things.

Well, I think kept it civil

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 23, 2019, 09:46 PM

Just to stoke a little fire here, my local paper featured an item about this subject. The Pew Center estimates that the number of unauthorized immigrants from Mexico dropped from 7 million in 2007 to 5.5 million in 2016. Indications are that the rate of illegal immigrations through our southern border is falling - and is at an all time low.

Now, can we get back on track before this thread swirls down the tubes?

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2019, 06:27 AM

The media manipulates, sometimes on purpose, sometimes not. Interestingly, the (alleged) mainstream, left wing media is a free market while the right wing media is for all intents and purposes a monopoly. There are fewer big players, even fewer big owners and they almost all read from the same page all the time. When you see one of the big boys report a particularly crazy story, its always framed "Reports are saying..." or some other lawsuit proofing word choice and you can always follow those stories back to a single crazy blogger in a dingy basement somewhere who doesn't have enough money to be worth suing. But every other outlet runs with it.
The left wing media are much more ready to criticise each other, themselves, their supposed political favourites and anything else. Not so much the right who will largely back anything Trump says, anything Alex Jones says, etc etc. It would be a touching level of co-operative support if they weren't doing such despicable things with it.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 24, 2019, 09:18 AM

They are ripe for picking by unscrupulous politicians.
lol

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 24, 2019, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Just to stoke a little fire here...

Now, can we get back on track before this thread swirls down the tubes?
That’s not the way it works.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Jun 24, 2019, 06:11 PM

Well, I could resort to a personal attack, but I refrain, because I give you the benefit of the doubt.

Well, I think kept it civil

-t
Indeed you did, and I jumped down your throat quickly and I apologize for that. Your "hundreds of millions" statement had me jumping to a couple conclusions that weren’t fair to you.

At any rate, we can agree what is happening at the border currently is a travesty.
( Last edited by sek929; Jun 24, 2019 at 06:35 PM. )

andi*pandi
Jun 24, 2019, 06:29 PM

Gentlemen, I applaud you. Civilized discourse! Here here!

Thorzdad
Jun 24, 2019, 07:32 PM

I just don’t know you people anymore.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Jun 25, 2019, 08:05 AM

Can we get CTP back here to bring some irrationality back?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2019, 09:03 AM

How about SimeytheLimey? His coherence belied his deeply irrational political opinions..

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2019, 01:50 PM

I miss analogika.

andi*pandi
Jun 25, 2019, 02:06 PM

All the Chris's for that matter.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2019, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I miss analogika.
Wait, who?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 25, 2019, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Wait, who?
Whoziwhatsit now

You rang?

Ham Sandwich
Jun 25, 2019, 03:20 PM

[...deleted...]

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2019, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
You lurk?
You might wanna compare Spheric’s and analogika’s location ;-)

-t

Ham Sandwich
Jun 25, 2019, 10:14 PM

[...deleted...]

goturtle
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 25, 2019, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by And.reg View Post
So, one person with multiple accounts...?
That’s outrageous. AnalSpherica should be teh banninated.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 25, 2019, 10:26 PM

Thirded.

-t

Moose on the Loose
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 26, 2019, 09:30 AM

[...]
( Last edited by Moose on the Loose; Apr 23, 2020 at 10:44 AM. )

andi*pandi
Jun 26, 2019, 10:46 AM

<remembers fondly the days where we banned sockpuppets> Hi Moose! how's the weather in Maine today?

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2019, 12:01 PM

Yeah, I tried some of my old ones, but they were all perma banned.

Sigh, do perma bans still happen today, other than spammers ?

-t

reader50
Administrator
Jun 26, 2019, 01:08 PM

Other than spammers, I don't recall the last time we permabanned anyone. CTP is not banned. He only drew a couple temps.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 26, 2019, 01:41 PM

Railroader's preemptive permaban?

Kevin?

Cash's attempts at reintegration?

Abe's pop-ups?

reader50
Administrator
Jun 26, 2019, 02:08 PM

@Laminar, I meant I don't remember when the last one was done. It's been a long time. I also reached out to RR once, to see if he'd like back in. I really liked his photography threads. His reply was neutral, and nothing further has happened.

Did we ever ban Abe? (also, isn't he deceased?)

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2019, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
@Laminar, I meant I don't remember when the last one was done. It's been a long time. I also reached out to RR once, to see if he'd like back in. I really liked his photography threads. His reply was neutral, and nothing further has happened.

Did Big Mac bail?
45/47

andi*pandi
Jun 26, 2019, 02:38 PM

I think many people just wandered off.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 26, 2019, 06:02 PM

Never bothered with multiple handles. Just didn't see the point AFAIC.

OAW

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2019, 07:37 PM

Ah, it’s too late.

The heavy-handed approach in the late 2000s got rid of the members that made this forum entertaining. Now it’s just old, boring people conversing. I’m looking at myself.

****, it’s hard to even get a temp ban these days. ;-)

-t

Thorzdad
Jun 26, 2019, 09:02 PM

All you have to do is ask.

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 26, 2019, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post

I recall him getting the CTP treatment.

Or, I guess, CTP got the Abe treatment.

I figured bad things with Abe since he didn’t visit after Art Bell died.

I liked Abe. I remember him being frightened of many things, and that fear often led to impaired thinking, but I think he has (had) a good heart.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2019, 08:48 AM

Ah, it’s too late.

The heavy-handed approach in the late 2000s got rid of the members that made this forum entertaining. Now it’s just old, boring people conversing. I’m looking at myself.
No, this forum died because every forum died. The early to mid '00s were they heyday of forums. People came for technical assistance and stayed for the community and to waste time. People grew up and moved on, and with the rise of social media, people have found community and time wasting other places, so with no members to replace the natural attrition, forums are dying.

Every car, motorcycle, and technical forum I'm on is a ghost of what it used to be. I can go any any subsection and see just a few threads from the past year. A lot of technical questions are answered with "check the Facebook group, you'll get more answers there."

I'd be floored to find a traditional-style forum that's actually growing. It has nothing to do with moderation and everything to do with a broader cultural shift.

Ham Sandwich
Jun 27, 2019, 09:06 AM

[...deleted...]

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2019, 09:54 AM

No, this forum died because every forum died. The early to mid '00s were they heyday of forums. People came for technical assistance and stayed for the community and to waste time. People grew up and moved on, and with the rise of social media, people have found community and time wasting other places, so with no members to replace the natural attrition, forums are dying.

Curiously, MacRumors forum is going very strong.

But it’s also boring :-)

-t

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2019, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Thorzdad View Post
All you have to do is ask.
F$&@ You !!!1!1oneone
Am I doing it right ?
-t

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2019, 11:23 AM

Every car, motorcycle, and technical forum I'm on is a ghost of what it used to be. I can go any any subsection and see just a few threads from the past year. A lot of technical questions are answered with "check the Facebook group, you'll get more answers there."

I'd be floored to find a traditional-style forum that's actually growing. It has nothing to do with moderation and everything to do with a broader cultural shift.
I’ve been at rpg.net for a long time. I don’t know if it’s growing, but it’s still pretty huge. It’s probably the dominant online force in the hobby.

Though I think to some extent its continued popularity is due to positioning itself as a “safe space”. For example, it’s in the official rules that support of Trump is a bannable offense.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2019, 11:53 AM

-t
Do you have their activity over time mapped? Posts per day? Threads per month? New account signups? I'd bet almost anything that it's declined.

turtle777  (op)
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2019, 03:54 PM

Ok, but how about Reddit ?
Much traffic has shifted there, but it’s similar to forums.

-t

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2019, 04:20 PM

Reddit is a link aggregator that gets off on blasting users with an endless barrage of new content. A minority of users use it for medium or long-form discussion, and a tiny tiny fraction of users engage enough to have a consistent, recognizable voice. Most threads flare up and die in the first hour. If you really get something going, it might last half a day, then it's on to the latest cat picture, video game outrage, or political controversy.

Stick around most forums long enough, and you'll get to know the voices of the frequent posters. Oftentimes you know what they'll say before they say it. You have an idea of a person's interests and political viewpoints. You know who to ask for advice on a specific topic.

A forum is like a small town bar or pub, where you see the same people often, sometimes you get into arguments, but typically you're friends and you enjoy hanging out.

Reddit is like a mosh pit at a stadium concert. With 234 million unique monthly visitors, there's no continuous thread of conversation, you're basically yelling into the void. Someone might yell back, someone might punch you, most likely you'll just be ignored and forgotten.

Forums only succeed when content consumers are also content producers. If no one posts a thread, no one else comments on it, and the place feels dead. Reddit succeeds because it finds content, catalogs it, and feeds it to as many content consumers as possible.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2019, 05:09 PM

I've always found Reddit to be a horribly designed site. Probably why I never joined. I go there every now again for Apple related tech info if I can't find it over at Ars Technica.

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2019, 05:31 PM

The Reddit mobile app is decently designed and not ugly.

OAW
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2019, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
The Reddit mobile app is decently designed and not ugly.
True. I tend to use the mobile app more than the website for this very reason.

OAW

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2019, 07:18 PM

No, this forum died because every forum died.
However, there were two things I can pinpoint which definitely accelerated it.

1) You used to need to register as a forum member to comment on front-page articles, then it got switched to using Facebook.

2) The moderation. Most notable to me was Tooki’s policy of locking lounge threads which weren’t serious enough.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2019, 11:47 PM

-t
AVS forum is going strong. .
45/47

Forum Links
Forum Rules