Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Apple is now the most valuable company in America

Apple is now the most valuable company in America
besson3c
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2011, 11:12 PM

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2011, 11:23 PM

That's clearly amazing. A couple of years back, nobody would have thought that could happen.

However, I think this will last for a while, and Exxon is going to get back on top.
Longer term, I don't see how Apple can maintain those margins. Exxon's valuation, on the other hand, will benefit from peak oil. Energy is going to be much more expansive and valuable than communications in the days to come.

-t

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 10, 2011, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
That's clearly amazing. A couple of years back, nobody would have thought that could happen.

However, I think this will last for a while, and Exxon is going to get back on top.
Longer term, I don't see how Apple can maintain those margins. Exxon's valuation, on the other hand, will benefit from peak oil. Energy is going to be much more expansive and valuable than communications in the days to come.

-t

On the other hand, Exxon has a finite number of products, where Apple's product line can expand as Apple is able to. There are rumors that Apple is going to become a Netflix competitor, for instance. If they pull off something like that, even if their sales in other areas slip a little bit they'll still have a great deal of forward momentum.

There are have been some indications that when oil prices climb, people drive less. Obviously many people absolutely require their cars, but there may be a point where Exxon maxes out their sales, and where a number of employers begin to allow their employees to work from home. In many cases I feel that the technology that would support this is underutilized.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, just tossing out some random thoughts and variables.

It is surreal though, for somebody that grew up in the 90s.

Ghoser777
Professional Poster
Aug 10, 2011, 11:50 PM

Guess Netcraft was wrong.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2011, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
On the other hand, Exxon has a finite number of products, where Apple's product line can expand as Apple is able to.
That's exactly why I think Exxon (and other energy companies) will see huge market cap increases.
Because energy is finite, the price will go up much more.

There are have been some indications that when oil prices climb, people drive less. Obviously many people absolutely require their cars, but there may be a point where Exxon maxes out their sales, and where a number of employers begin to allow their employees to work from home. In many cases I feel that the technology that would support this is underutilized.
Yes and no, there is a little bit of that, but generally, energy demand is quite inelastic.
The US might be able to reduce a little bit, but look at China, India, other developing nations. Their energy hunger (demand) grows faster than the Western world can reduce their usage. We are addicted to energy.

The long-term trend is clearly demand rising. Rising demand with limited supply = higher prices.

-t

besson3c  (op)
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2011, 12:05 AM

We are definitely addicted to energy, but pardon my ignorant question: does Exxon refine oil for India and China?

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2011, 12:24 AM

I think today we "smug Mac users" have a reason to be smug.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2011, 12:39 AM

We are definitely addicted to energy, but pardon my ignorant question: does Exxon refine oil for India and China?
Doesn't matter, there are world market prices for oil, no matter who buys from what individual company.

-t

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2011, 02:10 AM

Updated: At the end of regular trading Tuesday, Exxon was again the most valuable company. Apple’s market cap was $346.74 billion vs. Exxon’s $348.32 billion.

Forum Links
Forum Rules