Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Search by contents app

Search by contents app
pcryan5
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2014, 01:35 AM

Title says it all - I'm looking for recommendations for an app that can search by file contents - with multiple conditions. Type of file - keyword - etc.

My thanks
P

P
Mar 30, 2014, 06:17 AM

Spotlight does this - just hit command-F in the Finder and add as many criteria as you like.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

pcryan5  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 30, 2014, 11:11 AM

Well big thanks for that P!

Appreciated!
P2

TessScholes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 26, 2014, 03:28 PM

Technically, hitting cmd-f doesn't bring up Spotlight, but just the Finder's search interface (which uses Spotlight). Spotlight itself comes up in the right hand corner below the menu bar when you hit cmd-space. Unknown to many users, you can specify criteria in the search bar. Just try it with "kind:pdf". The cool thing is that you can combine these keywords with normal search terms. For example, "kind:pdf bill" will dig up all bills (documents that contain the term "bill") in pdf format. macconfig has a list of all Spotlight keywords. Just choose the ones that fit your use case best. I, for one, can't remember more than a handful;)

reader50
Administrator
May 26, 2014, 03:43 PM

I use several.

Spotlight for files within my user folder. But it doesn't index contents of unfamiliar file types, and does a bad job outside my user folder. Especially if I'm looking for something in the *nix side of OS X. ie: usr, bin, sbin, etc. Spotlight also does a spotty job in the /System and /Library folders.

Finder search, with the extra parameter fields. Include system files to help, this lets me find browser video cache files for example. But like Spotlight, it uses indexes and file system data, instead of doing a live content search. And it misses all the same system locations that Spotlight does not index.

EasyFind. If you need a real live search of the file tree, contents, including contents of any file type. EasyFind will always find anything that's present, since it doesn't use indexing. But a full-drive search of all file contents can take hours. It's significantly faster if you narrow the locations to search and/or limit it to file names.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2014, 05:20 PM

Take a Look at these two.

Tembo - Efficient File Search for Mac OS X

HoudahSpot - Find Mac files. Fast!

I have been using HoudahSpot for many years. It's very powerful in terms of customizing your Spotlight search.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules