Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Equivalent to 'net send' on OS X?

Equivalent to 'net send' on OS X?
motti
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2004, 04:07 AM

I finally managed to make one of my classmates switch to mac. He bought an iBook and now asks all these questions!

The latest is: how can he send a message to another mac user on his home network so that it pops up without using a im like icq or msn?

I have no idea why he would need that, but I don't want to tell him "well, you can't do that on a mac"

--motti
AppleWatch - System Requirements: Female or male wrist | Left or right hand version | Ability to have a good time

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 11:27 AM

If you can ssh into another machine, type this in its command line:

Code:
osascript -l AppleScript -e 'tell Application "Finder" to display dialog "Hello there!" '
Also works for speaking! That'll freak somebody out...

larkost
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 11:38 AM

iChat does Rendezvous chatting, so you don't need any additional software if the other person wants to chat. If they don't, then you can force it as awaspaas indicated.

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Jul 8, 2004, 12:19 PM

Originally posted by awaspaas:
yeah, i just use say for that kinda thing. comedy.
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

motti  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 8, 2004, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by awaspaas:
If you can ssh into another machine, type this in its command line:

Code:
osascript -l AppleScript -e 'tell Application "Finder" to display dialog "Hello there!" '
That one's very nice, it worked here at home! The only drawback is that one has to be logged in via ssh.
Thank you for your help!
AppleWatch - System Requirements: Female or male wrist | Left or right hand version | Ability to have a good time

Gig103
Jul 8, 2004, 01:53 PM

Is there a way to send a message to a windows box? Seems unlikely but people out here know their stuff
-Mike
=======
My Home Theater: The Stig Cinema
My Powerbook: Alum 15", 1.33ghz G4, 256mb, 60gb, combo drive

larkost
Mac Elite
Jul 8, 2004, 02:32 PM

If you are thinking of something bi-directional like iChat but without having access to the internet at large, then you will have to do some looking over at VersionTracker. You might want to look into setting up a Jabber servver. But if you are just trying to send the box a message, then you have a few different options:

Samba messange

Popper

Gig103
Jul 8, 2004, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by larkost:
If you are thinking of something bi-directional like iChat but without having access to the internet at large, then you will have to do some looking over at VersionTracker. You might want to look into setting up a Jabber servver. But if you are just trying to send the box a message, then you have a few different options:

Samba messange

Popper
Excellent, thanks larkost, that first one is exactly what i was looking for, i cant wait to try it tonight!
-Mike
=======
My Home Theater: The Stig Cinema
My Powerbook: Alum 15", 1.33ghz G4, 256mb, 60gb, combo drive

JasonPro
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 9, 2004, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by Gig103:
Is there a way to send a message to a windows box? Seems unlikely but people out here know their stuff
At a terminal prompt type "smbclient -M WINDOWMACHINENAME" where WINDOWSMACHINENAME is the name of the windows machine that you want to send a message to.
--
Jason

Forum Links
Forum Rules