Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 30)
Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2010, 02:45 PM

Awesome! Just in time for the weekend.

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Did you guys have any connection issues last night? Our buddy SubieCubed finished an entire game three times, the rest he got booted from. Also twice our entire team was booted back to lobby mid-game (party , not pre-game). One of the times saint said he won as he was the only person left in the match.
Yeah, we got booted out of a match on Scrap Yard and there was another match on Skid Row where I had excessive lag.

[edit: Page 30!]

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2010, 02:48 PM

Patch is out.

Are you guys (360 owners) just now getting the patch that was released on the PS3 a week or two ago? Or is this a new patch?

If it's the "old" patch to fix the FIRST care package glitch, be warned that there is a NEW care package glitch that still works post-patch (at least on the PS3).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2010, 02:49 PM

We got a different patch that addresses the root care package problem, along with the other things that the last patch did for you guys.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2010, 02:54 PM

Best thing I read all day:
Sort of reminds me when I was in the army reserves for the summer and they took us out to the bush. We were divided into 2 groups and we only had our fatigues, facepaint, and a bit of grasson our helmets. Each group took turns hiding in the bushy area (but you had to be able to see the non-hiding group from your hiding place) while the other group didn't watch, and then the group that didn't hide would try to pick us out. It was hard to see anyone in that bushy area.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2010, 02:54 PM

Patch is out.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2010, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
edit: Page 30!]
We're actually outpacing the Halo 3 thread, so far.

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Sort of reminds me when I was in the army reserves for the summer and they took us out to the bush. We were divided into 2 groups and we only had our fatigues, facepaint, and a bit of grasson our helmets. Each group took turns hiding in the bushy area (but you had to be able to see the non-hiding group from your hiding place) while the other group didn't watch, and then the group that didn't hide would try to pick us out. It was hard to see anyone in that bushy area.
I imagine they had cold-blooded pro for added effect.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2010, 03:00 PM

Did you guys have any connection issues last night? Our buddy SubieCubed finished an entire game three times, the rest he got booted from. Also twice our entire team was booted back to lobby mid-game (party , not pre-game). One of the times saint said he won as he was the only person left in the match.
Aren't there always connection problems!?! When I get a match that works I try to stick with it.

I'll enter a match and before I can choose a class in the match it'll complain of connection problems. Then it'll finally end the game and either kick me out or try to start it again and wait forever. Eventually I press the guide button and Y to end the game and restart the game.

I'll have lag in matches. Half the time it'll find a new server, the other half it'll stop the game, start finding a new host and kick me out.

This game is terrible at matchmaking.
MacBook Pro

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 12, 2010, 03:01 PM

We're actually outpacing the Halo 3 thread, so far.
Yeah, I just checked. There's only 56 pages in the Halo 3 thread. We're over halfway there.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2010, 03:16 PM

Aren't there always connection problems!?! When I get a match that works I try to stick with it.

I'll enter a match and before I can choose a class in the match it'll complain of connection problems. Then it'll finally end the game and either kick me out or try to start it again and wait forever. Eventually I press the guide button and Y to end the game and restart the game.

I'll have lag in matches. Half the time it'll find a new server, the other half it'll stop the game, start finding a new host and kick me out.

This game is terrible at matchmaking.
It's not very good, but I find XBOXs biggest problem is the NAT thing. Unless its open you will see a ton of problems.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2010, 04:13 PM

We got a different patch that addresses the root care package problem, along with the other things that the last patch did for you guys.

What do you mean "root care package problem"?

The last patch that was sent to MS and Sony for certification weeks ago (and that you 360 owners are just now getting) addressed the original unlimited care package glitch on both consoles. Post-patch (at least on the PS3), someone figured out a NEW way to get unlimited care packages that the original patch does not address.

Since the original unlimited care package glitch worked the same on both consoles, my guess is that after you apply this patch you will still see unlimited care packages in matches using the new glitch, just like on the PS3.

A fix for this new glitch requires a NEW patch from IW to be sent to both MS and Sony for certification.

I could be wrong, but IW doesn't seem to have fixed the SOURCE of the glitch, only one method of doing it.

Again, this is based on my experience on PS3. The patch could have done something different on the 360 but the release notes are identical for both consoles.

EDIT: Early reports I've read indicate that the 360 patch does indeed address BOTH CP glitches.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2010, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
What do you mean "root care package problem"?

The last patch that was sent to MS and Sony for certification weeks ago (and that you 360 owners are just now getting) addressed the original unlimited care package glitch on both consoles. Post-patch (at least on the PS3), someone figured out a NEW way to get unlimited care packages that the original patch does not address.

Since the original unlimited care package glitch worked the same on both consoles, my guess is that after you apply this patch you will still see unlimited care packages in matches using the new glitch, just like on the PS3.

A fix for this new glitch requires a NEW patch from IW to be sent to both MS and Sony for certification.

I could be wrong, but IW doesn't seem to have fixed the SOURCE of the glitch, only one method of doing it.

Again, this is based on my experience on PS3. The patch could have done something different on the 360 but the release notes are identical for both consoles.
You're wrong.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2010, 04:27 PM

It's not very good, but I find XBOXs biggest problem is the NAT thing. Unless its open you will see a ton of problems.
Yeah, I found that out from my Halo 3 days. It would note that problem.

But the Xbox or MW2 says my NAT is open. Actually I think it's MW2 that says that.
MacBook Pro

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Feb 12, 2010, 04:28 PM

You're wrong.
I know - see my edit.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2010, 04:30 PM

Yeah, I found that out from my Halo 3 days. It would note that problem.

But the Xbox or MW2 says my NAT is open. Actually I think it's MW2 that says that.
I don't know what to tell you. I will note I have had some weird experiences a few times trying join your sessions in progress. Perhaps your location makes thing a little shady?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2010, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by Mrjinglesusa View Post
I know - see my edit.
No harm done.

I'd have linked to something official except there's nothing official. No doubt news sites aren't picking up the story because they're hanging out at X10.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2010, 05:23 PM

The B team had success last night, Stogie complained about the lag a few times but I never noticed it, might have been because he was in an East-Coasters lobby.

Cheezy was a welcomed addition because he does very good most of the time, course I finally got to show him how much I've improved lately with a few 30+ kill matches.

Awesome news about the patch, it's about ****ing time! I'll be on later tonight.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2010, 05:26 PM

I want to run with a full party of six tonight. That is all.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2010, 05:47 PM

I'll be on tonight, but it'll be around 11:30 CST. I've been running solo on various modes lately. Everyone else is apparently going to bed much earlier than I am.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2010, 06:25 PM

Apparently God is a pretty lax employer.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2010, 06:27 PM

I'll be on, fo sheezy.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2010, 06:34 PM

In other related news I've already gotten over 600 kills with the M4. I find at range the best way to garner a kill is a short burst at first to 'locate' the enemy and then a healthy dose of bullets right after.

I've gotten almost back to my previous M1014 swagger with the SPAS, its range and clip size can be very devastating. However, I am still dying between pumps, be it after a miss or because a second enemy ran in the room after the first went down. I still stand by my M1014, with extended mags it's just to damn deadly.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 12, 2010, 06:39 PM

I've decided to suck it up and go unsilenced on Estate. I love that I can kill someone trying to run in the house from the second floor windows.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 12, 2010, 07:14 PM

Oh yeah, I almost forgot.

I was invited (several times) to a 10th prestige glitching match last night by some random dude. I obviously turned it down, as I do to anyone who likes to cheat in games.

In WaW Nazi Zombies there was an incredibly prevalent glitch in where somebody would intentionally down themselves with a grenade. If you let them bleed out they would die. When the rest of the team finished the level he would return, but the spot he died on would become a 'black hole' of sorts, all the levels zombies would shuffle to that spot and stand still while people picked them off. Really lame, and not fun at all.

I made it my duty to consistently revive these kids, all the while they are screaming 'don't revive me!'

God dammit I hate cheaters and glitchers.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 13, 2010, 03:09 AM

Apparently God is a pretty lax employer.
Either that or His employee hasn't been taking that "I kinda/sorta designed you for eight hours of sleep" thing very seriously.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 14, 2010, 08:07 PM

He killed me a couple of times, but didn't mock me. He then joins our team - of nothing but clan members - and comes top. Hopefully the lag didn't put you off too much Dakar.

And BTW, I have photographic evidence of the film that you were watching on Netflix just before playing MW2.

EDIT : anyone see any care package glitchers? I hear rumours (but no confirmation) that its not fixed.

EDIT (after a good nights sleep) : The decision to mix both HC and STD match types should not be taken lightly.
( Last edited by mattyb; Feb 15, 2010 at 05:20 AM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2010, 12:39 PM

My last two outings have been horrible. Switched over to other games on the PS3 for a while.

I'm going to give it another shot tonight. God, I hate this game sometimes...

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
God, I hate this game sometimes...
You are not alone.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 15, 2010, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
He killed me a couple of times, but didn't mock me. He then joins our team - of nothing but clan members - and comes top. Hopefully the lag didn't put you off too much Dakar.
I'm not mocking you because from what I've seen you're good. And its tempting fate to mock a person who could pummel you through latency at any given moment.

To be fair though, that map was a huge boon. I've been lethal on Underpass lately. I also was a little more aggressive than usual yesterday. I finished that game a lot less strong than I started it.

And BTW, I have photographic evidence of the film that you were watching on Netflix just before playing MW2.
Oh I don't care. The string of "awful" movies I've watched on Netflix streaming is due in part to their selection and the fcat that I haven't seen many since I was kid. I heard they're remaking Robin Hood. So I watched the old one.

EDIT : anyone see any care package glitchers? I hear rumours (but no confirmation) that its not fixed.
It's BS. There's a dedicated group of griefers who want IW to fail. The patch worked (for now).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 15, 2010, 04:52 PM

You are not alone.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2010, 04:58 PM

Nearly 22H00 here and I've quit in disgust at the lag. Been playing for 2 hours and not one game have I had where everyone has a decent connection. When I host, some twat plays with half an orange bar and ends up skating around the map. Going on std tdm to quench my need for kills just pissed me off.

Strange this connection stuff, in particular with the N.American continent and Europe. Sometimes the lag is just unplayable but sometimes its OK. I've had several problems with Scandinavians and Italians in a match as well. I wonder if the N.American phone network isn't overall much 'better' (more modern, kept up to date) than their European counterparts.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2010, 05:11 PM

I experienced lag when playing in Boy8's party, probably matching us with folks nearest his location. The only other lobbies I have experienced have been all East Coasters, and the connection has been very good. Once and a while a laggy game crops up, but that is par for the online gaming course at this point.

I'm interested to see how Stogies matches have gone when he is in our lobby, I don't hear him complaining (about the lag, he'll complain about other stuff) so I imagine even cross-country gaming here in the US should work fine.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 15, 2010, 05:38 PM

I've noticed Crosbie pulling host (as well as the west coast) more often. Last night I got murdered when he was hosting. mattyb's game was less lag.

But in the end, Upload is the most important aspect (along with distance). If the host can't push out info to 11 other players at a fast enough pace, you're buggered.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2010, 05:52 PM

I tend to get host often, if I quit out of a game 60% of the time I'll see the host migration window just as I exit.

Just tested my connection again and I'm sitting at 30ms ping with 8Mbps upload, PingTest.net rates my tubes at 'A.' I fins that if I'm experiencing lag in a game then everyone is, I very rarely am the only one lagging in a match.

Also did a Speedtest to San Jose Cali, 90ms ping and 6Mbps UL, not bad. If I'm hosting then it seems Stogie will still have a decent experience.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 15, 2010, 06:16 PM

I just tested, and my ping between San Jose or Paris is virtually identical.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 15, 2010, 06:32 PM

To DC 136 ping, to London 51. When the wife watches TV its worse.

Happy gaming NNers.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2010, 07:30 PM

I just tested, and my ping between San Jose or Paris is virtually identical.
Same here, ~90ms each. Weird since MattyB experienced some major lag when he joined some of our lobbies, right?

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 15, 2010, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Same here, ~90ms each. Weird since MattyB experienced some major lag when he joined some of our lobbies, right?
When we had kavvika and, probably crosbie. I can't imagine anything more confusing for matchmaking.

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I'm going to give it another shot tonight. God, I hate this game sometimes...
You're not the only one. Seems I'm on a streak of sucking + getting dumb team mates + getting at least one really good guy each game on the other team. It's maddening because it feels like the entire world is out to **** you over.

I am actually wondering if I'm having trouble adjusting to playing solo.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2010, 04:34 AM

I remember a GOW2 game with Sek that wasn't too bad (months and months ago). A private match on rust (hosted by Dakar IIRC) also was acceptable.

Oh, Jawbone and Dakar, without sounding impolite, I'm glad to see that the MW2 'malaise' isn't just sh1tting in MY coffee mug.

Stogieman  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 16, 2010, 04:34 AM

I thought my upload speed through AT&T Uverse was higher. I guess not.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2010, 12:30 PM

Oh, Jawbone and Dakar, without sounding impolite, I'm glad to see that the MW2 'malaise' isn't just sh1tting in MY coffee mug.
I go through this every Prestige. It's the price I pay for trying to do weapon/perk challenges. This one just happens to be the toughest.

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
I thought my upload speed through AT&T Uverse was higher. I guess not.
Your upload blows. (For hosting)

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2010, 01:23 PM

Maybe it's because I've been sticking with classes that I'm familiar with, but I've been doing nasty this prestige.

Our game on Terminal last night I started the match with an AC130 killstreak, which is impressive given the map and the fact I was using a "for-fun" Danger Close class.

I've surpassed Cheezy in K/D finally, 1.32 vs 1.31, but he's switched to TDM recently and has stayed well ahead of me in points and rank.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2010, 01:25 PM

Your upload blows. (For hosting)
His ping ain't bad considering the distance, sub 100ms cross country is pretty damn good. However, his UL is below 200KB/sec, which isn't very good at all.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2010, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Maybe it's because I've been sticking with classes that I'm familiar with, but I've been doing nasty this prestige.

Our game on Terminal last night I started the match with an AC130 killstreak, which is impressive given the map and the fact I was using a "for-fun" Danger Close class.
For Prestige Challenges, I'm going Precision Airstrike (6), Attack helicopter (7), Stealth Bomber (9) and I don't think that's helping me any either.

I swear Terminal hasn't come up at all this Prestige. It took me til the mid-50s to master the L86 which I started using at level 5. FFS

sek929
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2010, 01:40 PM

Yeah, that KIllstreak loadout would make it difficult for me to get anything going. I am still sticking with my two trusted variants. Predator, Harrier, AC130 and Predator, Harrier, Chopper Gunner.

Plus I don't even have a class with an LMG right now. My classes are either variations of my M4 setup with various perks and attachments, one sniper class (50 cal) one Danger Close, still with the M4 and Thumper, and a Lightweight commando class that I pull out when I feel like being a douchébag.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2010, 01:57 PM

Things should be mostly normal next Prestige. I have over 1000 kills with every AR but the M16 (>100) to go) F2000 and AK. And I'll be done with the gay ass OMA/Danger Close class.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2010, 02:29 PM

BTW, stogie, if it isn't clear, the reason we don't pick you up immediately most of the time is we're in a lobby with a shitty team and we'd like to continue raping them.

Edit: Oh yeah, I won a knife battle last night against - TA-DA! stogie.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2010, 03:28 PM

Weeeeeee

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Feb 16, 2010, 03:33 PM

Oceanic Cable? Do they own an airline too?

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Feb 16, 2010, 03:41 PM

It's actually Oceanic Time Warner Cable... so yes.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Feb 16, 2010, 03:48 PM

You're not the only one. Seems I'm on a streak of sucking + getting dumb team mates + getting at least one really good guy each game on the other team. It's maddening because it feels like the entire world is out to **** you over.
I get the feeling that Dakar's "streak of sucking" is very different from my own. In only about an hour or two, my K/D went from 1.05 (it had steadily been climbing) to 1.03. I got disgusted and signed off. Glad to know that you guys are getting frustrated as well.

Strangely enough, I got my groove back by spending some time in FFA for an hour yesterday. I went wild with the ACR/Scavenger/Claymore set-up, spent some quality time with the FAMAS, and then felt comfortable enough jumping back into TDM. This game causes people to go on prolonged streaks; it's so weird.

Forum Links
Forum Rules