Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Modern Warfare 2 thread

Modern Warfare 2 thread (Page 37)
Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 11, 2010, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54
Only for challenges. Useless piece of crap sight. I'm trying to get through with the Barrett challenge with it right now so I can unlock the thermal. I always switch to my sniper class (still don't use it often), then yell at the screen when I realize that that ACOG scope is what I have to deal with for the remainder of the game.
The only guns I found it semi-useful for is the FAMAS and probably the M16, for precision shooting. I think I had problems with it, though, even on the M16.

Yeah, I got through the Barrett challenge this prestige. At least I mastered it (got all the attachments). I haven't got enough kills for the Veteran challenge, yet. Once you get the thermal, you pretty much rule with it. Although I find you need stopping power on it to guarantee a one-shot kill. When I use it with coldblooded instead of stopping power I often put the enemy into last stand, and either have to shoot him again or lose him from view.

The other thing with a sniper rifle is you gotta find places where the enemy is going to pass through your field of view, or you do nothin' half the match. I've found a few places on Highrise and Invasion, to snipe from, other than the usual 2 sniping maps (Wasteland, Underpass). Ooops forgot Afghan... that's a sniper map too. Couple nice places to hit on the start of that map. I once got a good killstreak shooting enemies in the bunker from the poppyfield side of the big bunker, behind the rocks.
( Last edited by Leonard; Mar 11, 2010 at 02:27 PM. )
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 11, 2010, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Quite possible one of the worst map features in the game.
And tonight, in std S&D I got pwned trying to do the same thing. Several times.

The LSW is a pretty good LMG (They're ll pretty good, aside from the AUG). Fastest fire rate, and average (LMG) recoil. It's the sights which are horrific.
Yeah, the sights suck. There's something about the recoil that makes it really annoying to me, maybe that its not just up and down or something. Can't describe it.

You don't like the AUG? The AUG is cream mate. Its iron sights are excellent, it knocks people down with a few shots, and its accurate. With a silencer it even better. With a silencer and ACOG its one of the best std weapons (IMHO). Waves of scum have been slaughtered with me and an AUG at Burger Town. Waves I tell you.

For those that like the points, even std S&D has crazy scoring. A headshot is 1000XP. 1000XP for a plant and 1000XP for a diffuse. I comes out of games with 8 or 9K of XP. Of course the next round I only get 2000XP because I get my arse handed to me.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2010, 06:50 PM

Change of plans, sek, league night got cancelled. I'll get on when I see you on live.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 11, 2010, 06:54 PM

The AUG is an LMG with training wheels. It's an Assault Rifle in LMGs clothing. If you're using an AUG, my question is: Why? What is it offering you that an AR can't?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2010, 07:24 PM

I loved the AUG at first, but you are 100% right. It's an AR that limits your movement speed.

Edit: Making dinner now, signing on in 30-40.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 11, 2010, 07:35 PM

The only LMG I've even tried is the RPD. I hated it, so I stayed AR and SMG for this entire time. I guess I'll try one out tonight...

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2010, 04:15 AM

The AUG is an LMG with training wheels. It's an Assault Rifle in LMGs clothing. If you're using an AUG, my question is: Why? What is it offering you that an AR can't?
Yeah from a purely specs point of view I guess that it doesn't do much more than an AR. As a points whore, I tend to go through the 5000XP and 10000XP challenges for the weapons and then use something else. The only weapon that I have nearly finished completely is the Barrett.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2010, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
The only LMG I've even tried is the RPD. I hated it, so I stayed AR and SMG for this entire time. I guess I'll try one out tonight...
The RPD is ****ing awesome. Hands-down best LMG.

---

I have no idea why I stayed up an hour late to play last night when I was having a terrible night. I think every time we added a person I was like "Well now we'll do better."

Really, it was bizarre. My average game felt like I was going 6 and 7, but I had two 10+/0 games on the night. I had that game sek commented on in Quarry where I opened up 3-5 then camped my way up to 15-5 to end the game (Bonus: At 7300 points I followed a sniper for 5 second waiting to kill him with a throwing knife... and my Harrier and some asshole get near simultaneous kills to end the game...)

At least I did enjoy that near final game on Wasteland. A vintage 20-4 performance capped with an unusual 4 or 5 kill rampage through the bunker with a shotgun by yours truly.

I have to say the Striker continues to grow on me. I wouldn't use it on Estate, or to run and shotgun, but as a secondary to a thermal, and for situations with multiple people (like the bunker) it really shines. Granted it takes 2-3 hits to kill (probably 2, but like the M1014, you're going to fire off the extra shot before lag confirms whether or not you actually killed the guy...) but with a chamber of 12, that's still 4 guys, conservatively.

Edit: Looks like the striker has better range than the M1014. That explains things.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2010, 12:03 PM

In amongst the noise of modernwarfare247.com's forums you can find some gems.

In response to the question : "What do you do before Prestige?" this answer : I get some of my Prestige Challenges like i.e :kills and head shots: to 1 kill and one head shot, so i can level up in one level and get at least 40,000 xp in my first match.

I like it. Those first few levels after prestiging really really p1ss me off.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2010, 12:10 PM

That's fairly obvious. I think stogie or I have mentioned it before. I also hope they're not wasting xp not prestiging setting this up.

Honestly 1-10 don't irritate me nearly as much as 11-20. That's when jumps of 10,000 xp would be more useful.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2010, 01:59 PM

That's fairly obvious. I think stogie or I have mentioned it before. I also hope they're not wasting xp not prestiging setting this up.

Honestly 1-10 don't irritate me nearly as much as 11-20. That's when jumps of 10,000 xp would be more useful.
A strategy is required. For me its in 2 steps : level 25 ASAP (for cold blooded) and then a few challenges to help boost the ranking up to 31. After 31 I actually get pleasure from the game. Although the mid 50s did seem to drag (feels like ages since I last prestiged having not played every day for the past two weeks).

I'm going to try and have a long session tonight, if I see Dakar and sek in a game I might just join in. If I have a bad ping, then I'll leave.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2010, 02:17 PM

Thanks for the games last night fellas. I feel bad that I was mostly dead weight. Not using this as an excuse, but I recently switched from my usual FAMAS to the FAL so I was struggling to get any kills at all, let alone enough to make a positive contribution to the team.

Seemed like we picked it up towards the end of the night though, after cheesydog showed up. He seems to be pretty solid.

After everyone signed off I tried using a LMG for the first time. I chose the AUG (without reading comments here about it), and I kinda like it. But I will try out the RPD tonight and see how that one works out for me.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2010, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
In amongst the noise of modernwarfare247.com's forums you can find some gems.

In response to the question : "What do you do before Prestige?" this answer : I get some of my Prestige Challenges like i.e :kills and head shots: to 1 kill and one head shot, so i can level up in one level and get at least 40,000 xp in my first match.

I like it. Those first few levels after prestiging really really p1ss me off.
Interesting way of levelling up that I never thought about before. But there are only limited guns that you can do that on - "the starter set" - like the M4A1 and FAMAS, unless you assume you pick up an enemy's weapon. Because I was just thinking I've got the M16 which is close to Veteran II and I should finish it off to Veteran II, but I won't get it to level 40 (?), so it doesn't help. Hmmm... I'll have to look at where I'm at with the M4A1, FAMAS, Barrett 50, and AA-12. If I get close to a prestige challenge on those I may stop using them this prestige, and go to the ACR and others.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by ::maroma:: View Post
Thanks for the games last night fellas. I feel bad that I was mostly dead weight. Not using this as an excuse, but I recently switched from my usual FAMAS to the FAL so I was struggling to get any kills at all, let alone enough to make a positive contribution to the team.
Yeah, hows the FAL treating you? WHat have unlocked for it?

Seemed like we picked it up towards the end of the night though, after cheesydog showed up. He seems to be pretty solid.
That's wy I'm not to outraged at my performance later in the night. You have to remember, when there's 6 guys, there's only 75 kills to go 'round, so unless the other team blows, not everyone is going positive.

After everyone signed off I tried using a LMG for the first time. I chose the AUG (without reading comments here about it), and I kinda like it. But I will try out the RPD tonight and see how that one works out for me.
I'd give some commentary on the RPD< but I haven't used it since my 3rd Prestige. Been too busy doing all the other LMG masteries. Next Prestige, I'm going to finish the Vet challenges, so I'll probably still not use it.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2010, 04:58 PM

Yeah, hows the FAL treating you? WHat have unlocked for it?
I dig it. Its been tough getting used to a single fire weapon.. my trigger finger gets angry at me towards the end of the night. But its a nice departure from the FAMAS as far as AR's go.

The latest unlock was the Holo scope, which I'm using now. I think I may have unlocked the ACOG too.

Speaking of the ACOG scope, I'm wondering why there's so much animosity towards it. What about it do people not like? I like that it adds a good deal of range to your weapon, and that it doesn't constrict your view too terribly. But I haven't used all of the other scopes enough to have a good comparison.

I'd give some commentary on the RPD< but I haven't used it since my 3rd Prestige. Been too busy doing all the other LMG masteries. Next Prestige, I'm going to finish the Vet challenges, so I'll probably still not use it.
Jeez, you guys and your multiple Prestiges. I'll be lucky to make it to lvl 70 before MW3 comes out.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2010, 05:40 PM

Holo + Stopping Power = Two shot kills anywhere. I find this particularly useful on Afghan, where I snipe snipers on hill before they know whats happening.

ACOG = Sway + Recoil . One alone might be tolerable, but both can suck it.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2010, 05:58 PM

Ahh, that's what I didn't know about those scopes. Haven't used either of them enough to see how they differ beyond the sparse info they give you in the game.

I suppose there's a place on the webernets that gives more detailed info and compares the different weapons and attachments, eh?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 12, 2010, 06:03 PM

The ACOG is also much slower to bring up the sights with than the RDS or Holographic. The recoil is damn near impossible to use for me, since I'm used to the ultra-stable ACR with Holographic sight.

Cheezy was a welcomed addition to the fray last night with his consistent top-killer status.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 12, 2010, 06:05 PM

Personally, I feel like you should continue to use the ACOG for as long as you feel effective with it.

Modern Warfare 2 | DenKirson on Xanga

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
Cheezy was a welcomed addition to the fray last night with his consistent top-killer status.
And his many Emergency Air Drops. Those were fun.

Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2010, 06:21 PM

Personally, I feel like you should continue to use the ACOG for as long as you feel effective with it.

Modern Warfare 2 | DenKirson on Xanga
Bah, stupid filter at work won't let me see that site. I'll check it out when I get home.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 12, 2010, 11:09 PM

Bah, stupid filter at work won't let me see that site. I'll check it out when I get home.
Who are you?
good to see the maroma posting in gaming, welcome home

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 12, 2010, 11:28 PM

Speaking of the ACOG scope, I'm wondering why there's so much animosity towards it. What about it do people not like? I like that it adds a good deal of range to your weapon, and that it doesn't constrict your view too terribly. But I haven't used all of the other scopes enough to have a good comparison.
The others have mentioned that it's slow to bring up and the sway, which I agree with. The ACOG on some ARs blocks some of your sight as well, I find. I don't like things hidden from my sight, bad things could happen in those hidden areas.

Had a good couple of games this evening... went 28-6 on estate with an ACR with scavenger, stopping power, commando, and claymore. Oh, and the person that said you can only have 2 active claymores, was right. I tested it in that game. Man 2 more kills and I would have broken 30... I WANT TO BREAK 30 KILLS.
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 13, 2010, 05:44 AM

Like others here, I find the ACOG challenges infuriating. The only time that I like the ACOG is on the Intervention for some quick scoping. Not that I'm the best quick scoper but I find it easier than using the standard sniper scope. One developer from IW/Activision should be shot : the person who decided to have SMG challenges with an ACOG - have you tried the UMP with ACOG ? Big bag of bolloxs.

Dunno what was going on last night, don't think that I had a game with four bars. Dakar joined in a only had 2 bars - must have been painful, although you still came out with 7-2. Still don't like hardcore?

JMan09
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 14, 2010, 09:05 PM

I have done pretty good with the ACOG on most weapons. When I use it with the WA2000 I could do some quick sniping and on the ACR it worked good for me. But now that I just prestiged using the red dot with my famas or Holos on the pre made classes is great.
32GB iPad 2 | 32GB iPhone 4 | 11' MacBook Air 1.6 i5, 4GB, 128GB SSD

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2010, 08:45 AM

Podcast about some of the maps

Bailout sounds like Skidrow; Salvage, another snowy map - just as Derail is getting consistently voted against; Storm sounds like Underpass, rain and warehouses. 1200 MS Points.

Still quite an interesting podcast, especially the game play data gathering stuff.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 15, 2010, 11:02 AM

It looks like TheTechGame had accurate info, though I stand by my assertion that the video was a fake.

...I hate being right.

Next up - get eye-gouged by Bobby Kotick.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 15, 2010, 11:07 AM

Podcast about some of the maps

Bailout sounds like Skidrow; Salvage, another snowy map - just as Derail is getting consistently voted against; Storm sounds like Underpass, rain and warehouses. 1200 MS Points.

Still quite an interesting podcast, especially the game play data gathering stuff.
It isn't the snow that people veto Derailed for.

Anyway, I'm predicting Overgrown will be vetoed with regularity. Its going to be a cross of Rundown and Derailed. The thing was a sniper's paradise before, hate to see it now with Thermals and pin-point accurate ARs.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 15, 2010, 11:28 AM

Dunno what was going on last night, don't think that I had a game with four bars. Dakar joined in a only had 2 bars - must have been painful, although you still came out with 7-2. Still don't like hardcore?
10-2 on that game on Underpass as well.

Had an interesting killcam, too. Guy who bombed me had the Red boxes around us. Not sure if he was glitching or it was an error because he was in a Chopper Gunner.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2010, 11:41 AM

Lots of disgusted posters on gaming forums about the price. I'll be honest, IW/Activision could have charged double that and I'll still buy it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 15, 2010, 11:43 AM

I don't know how many they sold across platforms, and I forget what the normal buy rate for DLC is, but even with the higher price I expect this DLC will sell better than DLC for most other games.

That said, I'm glad this is the probably the only Activision game I will ever buy.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2010, 11:46 AM

Can't remember if this has been talked about before : I got stung by the Pavelow kill streaks 'thingy' yesterday. Got my nine kills and went to hide. The Pavelow kicked arse. But wait !!! Where is my AC-130 ? I had to come out of cover and kill two others to get the AC-130 and of course by the time that I called it in the game ended. 21-1 (I had died right at the beginning of the match).

For the Pavelow to count towards your killstreak (I haven't verified this) you have to call it, and then kill someone before the Pavelow does. I feel so robbed, and as far away from getting a nuke as ever.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2010, 11:50 AM

That said, I'm glad this is the probably the only Activision game I will ever buy.
Its not like we haven't gotten our money's worth either. I've now passed the 12 days of CoD4 play for MW2. These new maps and the slow pace of my prestiging will easily rack up another 12 days. Of course then there's the challenges to get.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 15, 2010, 11:50 AM

It's not entirely clear how to get it to work. It's supposedly on the list to be patched, hopefully it'll be contained in the pre-DLC one.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 15, 2010, 11:51 AM

Its not like we haven't gotten our money's worth either. I've now passed the 12 days of CoD4 play for MW2. These new maps and the slow pace of my prestiging will easily rack up another 12 days. Of course then there's the challenges to get.
It's not like we haven't suffered at the hands of numerous glitches too. For a few weeks there it looked like it wanted to challenge Gears for worst online experience.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 15, 2010, 12:02 PM

It's not like we haven't suffered at the hands of numerous glitches too. For a few weeks there it looked like it wanted to challenge Gears for worst online experience.
Very true. Those care package glitch infested games were horrible. I even bought L4D2 cos I was so annoyed.

I'll stick my neck out and go for 5 million worldwide sales of this DLC over the next 3 months. I'm bound to regret that.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 15, 2010, 12:03 PM

No, I'm talking about the Private lobby glitches (18p layer FFA on Rust), Javelin glitches, and Unlimited ammo lobbies. which all occurred in a three week period.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2010, 01:58 PM

I'm really put off by the price of the map pack. I know everyone on the Internet is complaining about it right now, but it seems like a map pack should absolutely cut off at the $10 mark, preferably at $5 or $8.

Activision is about to become the most hated company in gaming by a large margin (if it isn't running away with the lead already). I hoping for a backlash.

That being said, if you guys say the new maps are good, I'll probably pick it up. Once again, I'm part of the problem.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 15, 2010, 02:07 PM

Oh, we're all going to be the problem on this one.

I've been saying Activision stole the top spot of evil vg companies from EA for at least two years now.

I'm justifying this to myself in that I never do this, and probably won't again.

But if DLC Map Packs start costing 1200 instead of 800 from here on out, we know who to blame.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 15, 2010, 02:57 PM

Yeah, I'll probably contribute to the problem too. I'm just too addicted to MW2, but I need some new maps! That and I have to continue my competition in MW2 stats with Fatty - although I don't know how Fatty got that killer accuracy rating. Fatty must have been sniping alot. He even has Dakar beat in accuracy.
MacBook Pro

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2010, 03:52 PM

Not much sniping, lots of accurate ARs like the M4A1 and ACR. Not like that particular stat is among my most prized, the top of the list to the bottom is only a difference of a few percent.

My leaderboard competitor (cheezy) upped the ante recently in K/D. I had put .02 between us (1.36 to 1.34) but he tied it up the other night. I have been tirelessly adding to my total score only to see MechWolf stay consistently ahead of me.

I'm most proud that my K/D is better than Veteran, who is the #2 spot overall in score, my killstreak at least ties Dakar (27), and I currently have the biggest win streak on my leaderboard (29), which I'm still perplexed how I managed that. If I can manage to get my K/D up to 1.5 then I'll be totally satisfied...that is going to take quite a bit of good matches though.

I'll be on from about 8-12 tonight.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 15, 2010, 04:04 PM

I'll be on from about 8-12 tonight.
i should be on tonight for a while also

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Yeah, I'll probably contribute to the problem too. I'm just too addicted to MW2, but I need some new maps! That and I have to continue my competition in MW2 stats with Fatty - although I don't know how Fatty got that killer accuracy rating. Fatty must have been sniping alot. He even has Dakar beat in accuracy.
Stop tempting others to go look at stats. I've been stat free for over a week, and I'm getting the shakes.

*tremble*

But I would like to note that my killstreak topped off at 28. Put that in all of your fancy shmancy KDR pipes and smoke it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Mar 15, 2010, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Stop tempting others to go look at stats. I've been stat free for over a week, and I'm getting the shakes.

*tremble*

But I would like to note that my killstreak topped off at 28. Put that in all of your fancy shmancy KDR pipes and smoke it.
.97 W/L, 1.03 K/D, 17.06% ACC

---

Damn you sek, I was going to take tonight off.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2010, 08:08 PM

Nuts to that, I'll be playing F3 until you sign on.

Kevin Bogues
Senior User
Mar 15, 2010, 08:53 PM

Nuts to that, I'll be playing F3 until you sign on.
what am i chop liver? ha

Rumor
Mar 15, 2010, 09:09 PM

I would say I have given up on this game, but I never got into to it to begin with. I'll finish the single player at some point I suppose. For some reason, I haven't been getting into MP games much lately (Borderlands excepted).
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 16, 2010, 12:59 AM

.97 W/L, 1.03 K/D, 17.06% ACC
I'm an easy-going guy, but I think I feel something I can only describe as unadulterated hatred...

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2010, 04:55 AM

Jawbone54, did you get a nuke with your 28 kill streak then? I really really want to get a nuke (in an honest way). I seem to get the opportunity more and more but those last 3 or 4 kills just aren't happening.

I find it hard to maintain a decent k/d. When there aren't many people on, then I play std TDM. Since I have cold-blooded on all my classes, I don't get the kills that I feel that I should (although since I've gotten the ACR again I'm aiming for the head and not using up too much ammo). I just don't like taking the risk of leaving off cold-blooded for stopping power. I always get my arse kicked by air support when I choose stopping power. More often than not, I end up running and gunning with marathon and lightweight in std tdm. While I generally come out positive, its usually not over +5.

Accuracy is very easy to keep high - get a tactical knife and go around stabbing people, your accuracy goes up loads.

I got my 24 win streak by playing with a group of clan members on a weekend for a long session. I just cannot see how people can play randomly and get high winning streaks. There are of course exceptions. There's a guy in our clan who does alot of 1v1 cage matches. He has a winning streak of 144. He is a very good player but I have the feeling that he isn't telling us everything.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 16, 2010, 09:40 AM

ACR lovers/users, in particular sek : do you find that you get more headshots with this beauty? Any pref for sights? I find the iron sights excellent and can easily snipe from the poppy fields to the cliff top on Afghan.

Forum Links
Forum Rules