Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Macintosh Buying Dillema!

Macintosh Buying Dillema!
BlingBling 3k12
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 16, 2004, 03:24 PM

A few months ago I broke my iBook (don't ask) and ever since then I've been using a PC laptop and a iBook 366 to do my work. I usually do video editing, web design, heavy Photoshop usage, along with the basic stuff anyone does with a computer. I have about $3000 and can spend up to $3500, which includes taxes... anymore and it could be a problem.

Anyways, now that you know my background with what I do, here's my dillema. I love being portable, I traded in a G4 for a G3 to be portable. But the last few weeks that I had my iBook, the battery was shot, so I mainly stayed at a desk. Now being at a desk is no problem, so my first thing to get was a Dual 1.8Ghz or 2.0GHz G5 + a 17" or 20" Display. But then again, I've had a few projects pop up where being portable is a good thing, so then I thought, 17" Powerbook, it's powerful, it's portable (well, portable enough) and it's got a great screen on it.

Recently I've been using the PC as basically my working machine, and the iBook as a lounged back thing where I surf the web, check e-mail, and code my websites from throughout my house (I have AirPort for that, thankfully). So, even though I have no problem with a desktop, being anywhere, especially outside where it's been great these past few days, makes things pretty nice.

So I got to thinking... how about the Dual 1.8 + a well made flat CRT and a low end iBook G4. This all still fits into my budget completely. With this I've got the power that I need for my video and soon to be DVD projects and lengthy Photoshop sessions and the portability I love with my iBook.

I like this plan, but I don't see myself justifying having 2 machines. If the PowerBook had a G5, it'd be great, but I can't wait 6+ months for a G5 in here. So basically, what would you suggest. I won't go any lower than 1.5GHz PowerBook, so no 12" models, just a 15" or 17", and I can't get a Dual 2.5, so none of that either.

What's your suggestions everyone? Does my plan of a G5 + iBook sound "worthy"? Is the PowerBook 1.5GHz up to the task of some heavy Final Cut Pro & DVD Studio Pro action? I guess posting this in the PowerBook section will get some biased suggestions but since there's no general hardware discussion area...

Thanks for reading my very lengthy post...

iREZ
Professional Poster
Jun 16, 2004, 03:35 PM

If I could spend $3000 I'd go with the setup your mentioning. 1.5GHz is plenty fast but dual proc. and a G5 will make Final Cut scream lots faster then any PB. I'd get the new 2.0 or older 1.8 if I were you tho, seeing how Apple sort of crippled the 1.8 when making it the low end option (ie. 4GB max, no PCI-X, etc...).
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

pgolf
Jun 16, 2004, 04:03 PM

A 1Ghz 12" iBook and a Dual 1.8 G5 (Rev A) quite practical at the same time versitle. A real tough, portable, long battery life laptop coupled with a Dual G5, you can't go wrong.

Forum Links
Forum Rules