Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Trouble syncing music videos on iPhone

Trouble syncing music videos on iPhone
Toyin
Mac Elite
Oct 25, 2007, 11:01 PM

I've been trying to get a number of videos on my iPhone with no luck.

Steps I've taken to date:
1. Find files in the finder. Launch them in Quicktime and export them for iPod. The files are created as .m4v files. I replace the original file and 're-link' them in iTunes. They play fine in iTunes and Quicktime but will not transfer to the iPhone. I don't get any errors they just won't sync.

2. Select the same files and use the Convert for iPod command within iTunes. After conversion, these .m4v files are changed back to .mpg files and play fine in iTunes and Quicktime, but they still don't transfer to the iPhone.

This is frustrating because I can't find any rhyme or reason for this. Some files transfer after this, other's don't. When I open them in Quicktime and get info on them, the files that transfer and the files that don't are encoded the same (AAC Stereo, H.264 Decoder, 29.97 fps, millions of colors, various sizes)

Any suggestions?
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
"It's all about the rims that ya got, and the rims that ya coulda had"
S.T. 1995

anthology123
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 26, 2007, 12:08 PM

Almost every file I wash through iSquint works just fine on the iPod, even FLV files from youtube.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Oct 26, 2007, 12:59 PM

Yup, iSquint's the way to go.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Toyin  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 01:03 PM

iSquint worked for one 1 out of the 3 files I tried.

I'm in the process of wiping and restoring the iPhone. Hoping that will do something

Thanks for the tip though. iSquint seems a lot faster then Quicktime.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

Toyin  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 01:08 PM

Well I can tell already that the restore isn't working. Even before the copying ends, I can see that the it will not sync certain videos. I think it might be an ID3 tag issue.

After it syncs, I'm going to remove those files and re-import them into iTunes as new files.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 26, 2007, 01:16 PM

I thought there was this option in iTunes when you have your iPhone connected?

Under the Music tab, something like a checkbox saying "Sync music videos"?

I think so.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

Toyin  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 01:42 PM

I've got that option checked. I chose 80 music videos to sync. Until I re-imported them, it would only sync 54 of them. After the re-import there are still 5 missing, but I can take a look at them another day.

Thanks for the suggestions (especially isquint).
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 26, 2007, 01:48 PM

You may need to fill in some additional metadata for music videos in order for iTunes to properly recognize it as that type of file. Take a look at a music video you've downloaded from iTunes and make sure the music video metadata us filled in the same way. I do this with TV shows I "acquire" elsewhere. Otherwise iTunes puts those files in the Movies section.

Toyin  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2007, 02:00 PM

No all the information was identical. They were all categorized as Music Videos (and why doesn't iTunes have a Music Videos tab?). I changed them all to movies and a few synchronized. That's what gave me the idea that the ID3, ID4, and or metadata was the problem.
-Toyin
13" MBA 1.8ghz i7
S.T. 1995

VALET dude
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2007, 11:23 AM

try HANDBRAKE. it worked for me : )

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Oct 27, 2007, 03:47 PM

I had the same problem as the original poster. Using "Convert selection for iPod" worked, but was so excruciatingly slow, I Force Quit the first time, thinking something was wrong. I'm talking probably an hour for a 21-minute TV show ripped from my TiVo. The original file was only around 250 MB. Even on a two-year-old iMac G5, that's sloooooow. What's up with that?
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Forum Links
Forum Rules