Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Shanghai or Singapore - Macbook Pro

Shanghai or Singapore - Macbook Pro
westerlu77
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 23, 2007, 05:18 PM

I have two different options to buy a Macbook Pro 15 inch laptop thru a friend and I wonder if someone has any
experience about Shanghai or Singapore in this case?
I´v understood that it can be a little risky to buy especially in China. They can replace parts in the laptop, so it´s not
100% original....
I can for sure buy another one in a authorized Applestore but it won´t be so cheap..
Is it better to do business in Singapore???
/johan

freudling
Banned
Dec 23, 2007, 06:55 PM

You know the answer yourself. More risk, less money, or less risk, more money. I would take the less risky option in this case.

chipchen
Mac Elite
Dec 24, 2007, 03:42 AM

Well, since the dollar is down... maybe you should buy from a forum member in the US and have it shipped overseas?

Singapore has a few good Apple resellers. Apple Centre I think?

I wouldn't hesitate to buy from Shanghai either, so long as you get it from an authorized reseller. I wouldn't trust grey markets. I don't trust grey market in the U.S.... I definitely wouldn't trust it abroad.

Yea... again, my recommendation is to buy from the U.S.

Where are you located? China, Singapore? Elsewhere?

andretan
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 24, 2007, 01:45 PM

You can try EpiCentre @ Orchard if you're coming to Singapore.

Cheers.
mac.goodies webstore / Switched to an iBook in November 2002. Never looking back.
iBook R.I.P. 20 Nov 2002 - 2 Aug 2005
Hello Leopard! On iMac 17" Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz 2GB, iPod 5th gen 30GB and iPhone

westerlu77  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 24, 2007, 04:47 PM

I´m located in Sweden, north europe.
In Sweden you have to pay at least 2650 US dollars for a Macbook Pro 120 GB HD, 2.2 Ghz and 128 MB graphicscard on Apple store.
The bigger one is 3400 US dollars so I think I can do a quit better price abroad..
My question is still: Where I should do it?
Is anybody heard anything about changing parts? It´s maybe not true. Maybe it´s more common in things like ipod etc.

forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 25, 2007, 08:18 AM

We get all our equipment from Singapore (Cams, PCs, MACs, etc) and while not the cheapest place on earth, in most cases the service is good. But if you have a contact in Shanghai, why not, the MBP is made there.

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

westerlu77  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 25, 2007, 01:34 PM

As long as you buy a orginal Macbook Pro with guarantee it should not be a problem to fix it in Sweden. As I understand Apples laptop is under the worldwide guarantee with one-year. right? Is that thinking naiv?? Is anybody know if it´s possible to order a swedish keyboard already from the start even from another country? Do you mean that the service is not so good over all in shanghai or china?
What kind of macproducts do you bought in singapore? Can I ask you how much do you paid for it?
Thanks for your support and all questions!!

forumhound
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 27, 2007, 07:29 AM

For anything computer sold by Apple, we pay about 300+or- usd over the advertised price on the apple website. On components it's probably 25% over the apple online price. Some of that is duty/shipping into this country, and the rest is profit that goes to our new apple distributor here. We get the same 1-year warranty everyone else does. I am not sure what your intention is in all of this - why not just go to the apple store in Sweden? I don't think the price difference is going to offset the face-to-face interaction that you will have with a local dealer, which should be a good experience. Parts is another story...Singapore is great for that...but you are not going to find a swedish keyboard there! But u might at your local apple store. I think the cheapest place to get apple computers must be the USA, online from wholesalers, with free shipping to US address. But then you have to go "there." Cheers!

Dead MBP 2.2 4gig / New Aluminum iMacs / "Old" iPhones / 1st Gen Ipod Shuffle

Forum Links
Forum Rules