Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > What do You Enjoy Doing Less Than "Perfectly?"

What do You Enjoy Doing Less Than "Perfectly?"
abe
Professional Poster
Apr 27, 2008, 11:15 PM

I like to swim but I have crappy technique.

I don't care. I do it and enjoy it.

But I once walked away from a possible career as a firefighter because I was impossibly weak at an important aspect of the job.

If I can do a thing well and can see nothing that might prevent my reaching the top I will do it and keep trying to improve. But the minute I see that I can't possibly be the best at it, I lose interest.

America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

Railroader
Banned
Apr 28, 2008, 12:55 AM

Golf. I suck, but a morning on the course with good friends is a treasure.

Also guitar. I sound horrible, but i love the feel of the guitar body reverberating and the warm rich sound of a chord played well.

Aquataris
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2008, 03:24 AM

I enjoy composing on GarageBand. I am really good at it, but nothing ever turns out as well as I want without hours of polishing thanks to the weird little quirks of GB that are still being overlooked every time it is updated. I eventually get everything to sound they way I want it to but I figure it is the closest thing to not complete satisfaction with a hobby that I have.
If I had a signature, it would be better than yours.

CollinG3G4
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 28, 2008, 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by Aquataris View Post
I enjoy composing on GarageBand. I am really good at it, but nothing ever turns out as well as I want without hours of polishing thanks to the weird little quirks of GB that are still being overlooked every time it is updated. I eventually get everything to sound they way I want it to but I figure it is the closest thing to not complete satisfaction with a hobby that I have.
I feel your pain bro.

Aquataris
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 28, 2008, 04:30 AM

I think that if they just asked a handful of serious users to point out it's blatant and inexcusable yet incredibly fixable flaws, they would be able to make GB shine; but then again... Maybe they leave these flaws in there to make the big bucks on people buying bigger better Macs for use with Pro Tools.

SeSawaya
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 11:20 AM

I think that if they just asked a handful of serious users to point out it's blatant and inexcusable yet incredibly fixable flaws, they would be able to make GB shine; but then again... Maybe they leave these flaws in there to make the big bucks on people buying bigger better Macs for use with Pro Tools.
I tracked my entire last album on that little program. Now I use Logic, but I tell you the simplicity of GB and what you can do with it are amazing considering the cost.

But yes, fix it.

Cold Warrior
Apr 28, 2008, 11:26 AM

Console/computer games. I suck at them, so I put them on easy and use cheat codes when available just to have fun and burn time.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2008, 11:50 AM

Absolutely not. I'm a bit of a perfectionist. If I can't do something well, I'd rather not do it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

design219
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
My grasp of the English language, especially grammar and writing in general, could be much better.
Yup, i are to. I spellti bad to.

* Wow, neat trick making my post higher up the page!

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

andi*pandi
Apr 28, 2008, 12:33 PM

Fhings that are just for fun but far from perfection: bowling, pool, wii games. (I cheat at wii games when I get stuck, it's the experience that's fun for me not necessarily figuring everything out.)

For things like sports, I think there's levels where for most people perfection is not an option. Just do it.

design219
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 12:36 PM

Fly fishing.

I'm not bad...been doing it since my dad taught me as a kid, but I'd sure like to be perfect. (and have more time to do it)

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 12:37 PM

I believe the obvious answer here is sex.

design219
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 12:37 PM

Problems there, eh?

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 12:38 PM

Not for me, if you catch my drift.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 28, 2008, 12:41 PM

Guitar. My equipment sucks and I'm not very good, but I do enjoy it.

Basketball. I rarely take shots and my court vision is poor, but I'm 6'5", so I can't be bad, right?

Cooking. I have a few dishes that I really like making, but besides that I'm kind of lost.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 01:02 PM

I'm an insane perfectionist. Needless to say, I drive myself crazy.

My grasp of the English language, especially grammar and writing in general, could be much better. But I'm not going to give up speaking and writing just because I'm not perfect at it.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Atheist View Post
My grasp of the English language, especially grammar and writing in general, could be much better.
I may be thinking of someone else, but aren't you a US Citizen?

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Not for me, if you catch my drift.
Yes, not having any would prevent someone from having problems...

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 02:16 PM

Ugg, that was a little convoluted, aside from not making sense.

Atheist
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
I may be thinking of someone else, but aren't you a US Citizen?
Yes. But I'm always striving to enhance my writing and speaking skills. I've alway thought they were mediocre at best... certainly not perfect. The OP asked what do we enjoy doing less than perfectly.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 02:30 PM

Ah, I totally get it now. Perhaps I just take these things for granted. (Also, being exposed to average person certainly will make you feel like you're doing it perfectly by comparison)

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 28, 2008, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by abe View Post
But I once walked away from a possible career as a firefighter because I was impossibly weak at an important aspect of the job.

Was that swimming, or something else?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 28, 2008, 07:58 PM

My grasp of the English language, especially grammar and writing in general, could be much better. But I'm not going to give up speaking and writing just because I'm not perfect at it.
I feel that way about every language I have any knowledge of, including both my native language and English. But when it comes to languages, I’m not sure ‘perfectionist’ is really adequate to describe me.

Something I love to do, but unfortunately do very badly, is singing. I can’t imagine not singing along with music (it’s a struggle when listening to my iPod in public), but I’m woefully adept at sending cats and dogs fleeing as soon as I open my gob.

alligator
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 08:21 PM

I've been trying to NOT show up on time lately. Like today, I was 10 minutes late for a large conference. It didn't matter one bit. This is a drastic change for me since I used to be very worried if I wasn't early for everything. I'm trying to enjoy life more.

liviabush
Baninated
dealstudio spammer
Apr 28, 2008, 08:22 PM

Well I like paiting and used to learn little about it. Now I still paited badly but I do enjoy it.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 28, 2008, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by liviabush View Post
Well I like paiting and used to learn little about it. Now I still paited badly but I do enjoy it.
You like eating raw chicken with spatulas?!?

I've been trying to NOT show up on time lately. Like today, I was 10 minutes late for a large conference. It didn't matter one bit. This is a drastic change for me since I used to be very worried if I wasn't early for everything. I'm trying to enjoy life more.
I’m terrible at being on time, but being late is not something I enjoy doing, so it doesn’t really fit into the thread.

faragbre967
Senior User
Apr 28, 2008, 08:49 PM

Bowling. I can never get higher than around 130-140 but I still love to play.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 09:24 PM

Playing guitar. I stopped devoting serious time to it years ago, and my chops are a bit rusty as a result. However, I still like to play now and then, mistakes and all.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 09:35 PM

Fishing. I like to go, have some of the nicest fishing gear you can buy, but pretty much suck at it horribly.

Atomic Rooster
Apr 28, 2008, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by design219 View Post
Fly fishing.

I'm not bad...been doing it since my dad taught me as a kid, but I'd sure like to be perfect. (and have more time to do it)
Try fishing for fish instead. Flies are too damn little and hard to hook. If you do get lucky they don't have much meat. The drum sticks are pretty tasty tho.

Golfing. Had to give it up. The Pro said I was killing too many worms. I told him it was hard to hit the ball with bent clubs. Damn I was really imperfect at it but I'd be drunk by the fifth hole.

gradient
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2008, 11:06 PM

I'm less then perfect at absolutely everything and that's fine. I imagine just about everyone is.

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 28, 2008, 11:27 PM

posting on interweb forums

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Apr 28, 2008, 11:32 PM

What?

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2008, 11:32 PM

Golfing. I only golf in scrambles (and then usually for a fund raiser of some sort which are few and far between), and that's only so the rest of my team can get a good laugh, but it's usually a good time.

Parenting. I don't know if there are any perfect parents out there, and I'm far from it, but as for enjoying it... I wouldn't trade them for anything in the world. (Disclaimer: They're not teens yet, so I reserve the right to retract my prior comments at a later date.)
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2008, 05:27 AM

Video games and now skateboarding, a lot of other things come to think of it. Because, when it comes to "fun" things, I find that "doing it perfectly" is doing it in a fashion where you and your friends have fun, not where you win all the time, which admittedly could actually take the fun *out* of the game, instead.

Actually, I have some issues with a friend of mine who takes games (whether pool or dominoes, etc.) very seriously, and plays with a goal to win, while I take it in a very non-serious, casual way, giving more importance to the conversation that the gameplay. Suffice to say, it is very frustrating for him, and his way is very frustrating for me, so usually find something less "controversial" to do instead.

Practice and persistence are good qualities, but abandoning something otherwise fun simply because you can't be the top guy seems a little bit egotistical to me.

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I feel that way about every language I have any knowledge of, including both my native language and English. But when it comes to languages, I’m not sure ‘perfectionist’ is really adequate to describe me.
The more you know, the more you realise how little you know. That's just a humble statement of fact, Oisín. No one can be an expert at every language. But the fact that you continue to learn and better yourself, and humbly at that, does indeed make you better and better at what you do.

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
I
Something I love to do, but unfortunately do very badly, is singing. I can’t imagine not singing along with music (it’s a struggle when listening to my iPod in public), but I’m woefully adept at sending cats and dogs fleeing as soon as I open my gob.
Singing, eh? Gotta make an audio file sometime...

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 29, 2008, 06:14 AM

Sleeping. I enjoy it immensely, but I'm really quite bad at it.

---

Oh, and for all those GarageBand peeps up there... ...it's a toy, you're not supposed to be able to make anything good on it. Heck, it isn't even good training for working your way up to a proper system.

Apemanblues
Apr 29, 2008, 06:17 AM

Time travel and necromancy.

MacosNerd
Professional Poster
Apr 29, 2008, 07:59 AM

Unfortunately, I'm not a perfect human being so there's nothing I can do perfectly in the first place. I can be a "perfectionist" but I find that any hobby I choose is not so I can do it perfectly, but rather for enjoyment.
I like to run, but I'm not the fastest runner.
I like to program, but I'm not the best programmer
I like to work around the house but I'm not the handiest person in the world.

Aquataris
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2008, 01:43 AM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Oh, and for all those GarageBand peeps up there... ...it's a toy, you're not supposed to be able to make anything good on it. Heck, it isn't even good training for working your way up to a proper system.
Some of us can't afford the real stuff and have ended up finding ways to make our GB tracks every bit as good as anything done on Pro Tools. I know I have been asked how I make such professional tracks. This toy has every bit as much potential as the people using it. Once there is a way to split two tracks while still carrying over a note, anything is possible with GB. Every flaw besides that one can be worked around. Not to mention that finding work-arounds for GB's flaws often take less time than learning how to use any one feature on Pro Tools to its max potential.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2008, 05:20 AM

Some of us can't afford the real stuff and have ended up finding ways to make our GB tracks every bit as good as anything done on Pro Tools.
Strange then that all these pro studios bother with ProTools/Logic/DP/Nuendo at all. I mean, a bit of engineer retraining and a copy of iLife they could save themselves tons of money and come out with stuff every bit as good as their previous output.

It's a toy. Period. Just because you don't know that it's not doesn't alter the facts of the matter. You enjoy using it and have made a fun hobby out of it, great - good for you - it's well in keeping with the subject matter of the thread. But don't come out with comments like this...

...and then expect people not to put you right about it.
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Aquataris
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2008, 06:32 AM

Strange then that all these pro studios bother with ProTools/Logic/DP/Nuendo at all. I mean, a bit of engineer retraining and a copy of iLife they could save themselves tons of money and come out with stuff every bit as good as their previous output.

It's a toy. Period. Just because you don't know that it's not doesn't alter the facts of the matter. You enjoy using it and have made a fun hobby out of it, great - good for you - it's well in keeping with the subject matter of the thread. But don't come out with comments like this...

...and then expect people not to put you right about it.
You didn't put me right about anything at all. They use those tools because they have gigantic studios with everything flowing into a central hub filled with studio mix boards that can hold tons of info about each little mix stored in those types of software. I don't do music as a hobby at all, I am serious about it and the fact that I can get it sounding the way I want on GB alone means that whether or not you want to call it a toy, it did exactly what I intended for it to do. Does that make it a replacement for Pro Tools? I don't know, ask Trent Reznor and Head, Formerly of KoRn. They have both used it for creating entire studio tracks while away from studios. But what do they know, they just make a living off of it. The fact that you took a comment and decided to turn it into an attack on what I do or don't know is pathetic. Also; please direct me towards Apple's disclaimer that GB is a toy.

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2008, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Was that swimming, or something else?
I'd passed the written intelligence or aptitude exams. I was working out like an S.O.B. (running laps at the local gym for hours at a time and pumping iron) and getting ready for the physical (which I was certain I would pass).

But my mechanical knowledge was really deficient. Understanding how machines work (a series of cogs, all of them interconnected and dependent, when one turns clockwise which way would the cog move which is 5 cogs away?) building structures, construction techniques, terms and etc. is important to a firefighter and many of the people in the test prep were well versed in the building trades and made me feel like a girly-man.

So I showed up for the physical exam and it was raining slightly but I was jazzed and ready to run up several flights of stairs with an 80Lb. hose pack on my back and the step up and step downs and the back and forth quick sprints. All these years I remember the routines. Well, it was raining too hard for the exams to be held so they rescheduled it for the subsequent weekend, I think. But in the interim I thought about what would it be like to ALWAYS be suckky at the building construction aspects of the job.

I never went back.

If I had it to do over, I'd have given it a shot.

I was an impulsive young man and made my own decisions without asking anyone's counsel. But I wouldn't have listened to anyone's counsel, anyway. Maybe ADD or some crap.
America should know the political orientation of government officials who might be in a position to adversely influence the future of this country. http://tinyurl.com/4vucu5

abe  (op)
Professional Poster
Apr 30, 2008, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Try fishing for fish instead. Flies are too damn little and hard to hook. If you do get lucky they don't have much meat. The drum sticks are pretty tasty tho.

Golfing. Had to give it up. The Pro said I was killing too many worms. I told him it was hard to hit the ball with bent clubs. Damn I was really imperfect at it but I'd be drunk by the fifth hole.
Pretty funny stuff!

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2008, 09:41 AM

You didn't put me right about anything at all. They use those tools because they have gigantic studios with everything flowing into a central hub filled with studio mix boards that can hold tons of info about each little mix stored in those types of software.
Strange that. I did a mix last night on a MacBook Pro. Just a Mac Book Pro. No big mixer, no gigantic studio.

Guess why I used Logic and not GarageBand.

I don't do music as a hobby at all, I am serious about it
No. If you were serious about it you'd live off dry toast for a couple of months and save your food money to go buy Logic - like everyone else who's serious about it does. Heck, it's only 250 quid.

and the fact that I can get it sounding the way I want on GB alone means that whether or not you want to call it a toy, it did exactly what I intended for it to do.
No, sorry. Your posts in this thread (which is about what you don't do perfectly) are whining about GarageBand - so it obviously doesn't do what you want it to do.

Does that make it a replacement for Pro Tools? I don't know, ask Trent Reznor and Head, Formerly of KoRn. They have both used it for creating entire studio tracks while away from studios.
Here's a clue: They do things like this with toys to give themselves a little inspirational nudge when they're bored. Loads of artistes impose limitations on themselves to see if it brings up anything new. Plus, of course, saying that you've done it all in GB gets you loads of free publicity from Apple.

But what do they know, they just make a living off of it.
Yeah, what do I know. I'm only a former professor of music technology turned record producer turned rock star.

The fact that you took a comment and decided to turn it into an attack on what I do or don't know is pathetic.
No. There's a bunch of guys up there whining about GarageBand being crap. I simply pointed out why it's crap. You started the argument and turned it into a personal thing.

Also; please direct me towards Apple's disclaimer that GB is a toy.
It's given away free of charge in iLife and doesn't have a "Pro" suffix.
Quick, give Hollywood a call and tell 'em to stop spending loads of money on Avid systems - iMovie will do the job just fine.

Perhaps if you were really serious about your music you'd be listening to and learning from people who actually know what they're talking about instead of, say, arguing with them and acting like a lamer geek teenager who thinks he knows best. You're wrong. Period.

Now, if you'd like to carry on this conversation start a new thread instead of continuing to crap in this one.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 30, 2008, 11:57 AM

Internet pissing contests seems to be a popular hobby.

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2008, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by faragbre967 View Post
Bowling. I can never get higher than around 130-140 but I still love to play.
Same. I even have my own ball and shoes.
Another thing that I love doing but I'm not perfect at is cooking (with the exception of grilling because I can grill anything perfectly).

Aquataris
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2008, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by xi_hyperon View Post
Internet pissing contests seems to be a popular hobby.
I think that's why the two n's in the "nnforums" logo are yellow. It's weird how you can't state a personal fact here without somebody starting something stupid.

Strange that. I did a mix last night on a MacBook Pro. Just a Mac Book Pro. No big mixer, no gigantic studio.

Guess why I used Logic and not GarageBand.

No. If you were serious about it you'd live off dry toast for a couple of months and save your food money to go buy Logic - like everyone else who's serious about it does. Heck, it's only 250 quid.

No, sorry. Your posts in this thread (which is about what you don't do perfectly) are whining about GarageBand - so it obviously doesn't do what you want it to do.

Here's a clue: They do things like this with toys to give themselves a little inspirational nudge when they're bored. Loads of artistes impose limitations on themselves to see if it brings up anything new. Plus, of course, saying that you've done it all in GB gets you loads of free publicity from Apple.

Yeah, what do I know. I'm only a former professor of music technology turned record producer turned rock star.

No. There's a bunch of guys up there whining about GarageBand being crap. I simply pointed out why it's crap. You started the argument and turned it into a personal thing.

It's given away free of charge in iLife and doesn't have a "Pro" suffix.
Quick, give Hollywood a call and tell 'em to stop spending loads of money on Avid systems - iMovie will do the job just fine.

Perhaps if you were really serious about your music you'd be listening to and learning from people who actually know what they're talking about instead of, say, arguing with them and acting like a lamer geek teenager who thinks he knows best. You're wrong. Period.

Now, if you'd like to carry on this conversation start a new thread instead of continuing to crap in this one.
I never started an argument, your smart ass comment that seemed to have zero relevance to anything did. I forgot that GB doesn't use the word Pro, maybe somebody should tell Apple if they want someone to use GB they should stroke their ego by calling said person a Pro right on the box. I didn't say you need a huge mix board for anything, I simply stated that a large studio that has gone all out will go further out with an established program that is taught. I said that GB does EXACTLY what I want it to do and that seemed to upset you. But, Professor Rock Star, you need to realize you can not be right about anything when you start some stupid crap about a subject that is purely opinion. Also, this is a thread about something entirely different than whining about people who like using a program and have stated it's flaws can be fixed easily. I don't care about what you use or what you use on it. MY system can barely handle GB but it's all I have. I already starve for regular everyday things and I came here to state I enjoy GB. Take your pompous rantings on what a "real" serious artist is someplace else. Or even better, write us a ballad about it. As for "lamer geek teenagers" you were the one who had to claim GB is a toy in a thread with at least three people who stated they like using it, and then go further by insulting my perfectly justified post about how it can be used to make music that is worth hearing and therefore is not a toy. I guess some people get defensive when they can't use GB correctly. Please find a less worthwhile thread to derail. I will not respond further, feel free to put in a last word to feel like you have won the opinion contest.

The program used isn't what determines how good the music is, it's the person making the music that determines that.
( Last edited by Aquataris; Apr 30, 2008 at 01:32 PM. )

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2008, 01:29 PM

I never started an argument, your smart ass comment that seemed to have zero relevance to anything did.
No fool. There's a bunch of people up there, including yourself, pontificating that GarageBand should be fixed. I simply point out that it ain't gonna be fixed because it's a toy, and then you get all precious about your choice of software.

If you weren't so precious about GarageBand and attempting to rigourously defend its honour, there wouldn't be any argument, would there?
You started this argument by taking issue with the fact that someone pointed out that GarageBand is a toy.

I said that GB does EXACTLY what I want it to do and that seemed to upset you.
No. You said it can create product which is as good as that which ProTools creates. Which is just plain wrong.

I don't care about what you use or what you use on it. MY system can barely handle GB and it's all I have. I already starve for regular everyday things and I came here to state I enjoy GB.
You mean you came here to state that you enjoy GB and whine about Apple not fixing it.

As for "lamer geek teenagers"
It was "lamer geek teenager" actually. Singular. Just you.

I will not respond further, feel free to put in a last word to feel like you have won the opinion contest.
Oooo. Nice edit to include that bit about "the last word".

Here's the last word then: GarageBand is a toy. Anyone who doesn't think it's a toy is either an idiot or seriously inexperienced. That's a fact, not an opinion.

(There ya go Abe, that's my other thing I enjoy doing but do less than perfectly - arguing with lamers on the Internet. If I was better at it I'd have broke him in a single post. )

Aquataris
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 30, 2008, 01:37 PM

Another thing I enjoy doing is writing. I wish I could write as quickly as the writers that churn out 5 novels a year, but then again those writers are hardly ever worth reading. I am mostly slow at it because if there is even one flaw or plothole in the story I would probably feel I have failed no matter how good it is otherwise.

subego
Clinically Insane
Apr 30, 2008, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by abe View Post
I'd passed the written intelligence or aptitude exams...

Gotcha. Thanks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules