Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > WTB: old computer for needy family

WTB: old computer for needy family
sworthy
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 01:16 PM

I'm looking for an older iMac for some relatives of mine. They just moved to the US (near Seattle) from Uzbekistan and are looking for a computer for their 3 daughters to use. They only want to spend $100, but I'm going to kick in $200 or so because $100 won't get a usable computer. Does anyone have an old machine (Mac or PC) that falls close enough to that price range?

Thanks for looking

weazbert
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 21, 2004, 01:54 PM

i do. i have a sempron 2200, on a soyo board, will support up amd 3000+, 512 pc 2700 ram, 80gb sata drive, with sata controller card, plextor 24x cd-rw, and even though it has onboard video, i will throw in a 64mb radeon 7500 agp card. with a black antec case that has a 350 tru power PS that retails at 100 on its own.

i will do 300 shipped to you.

let me know.

sledsbehave
Senior User
Dec 21, 2004, 02:23 PM

three was a guy here selling an imac 350mhz for $75 plus shipping, it's a decent system for a 3 year old.

the thread should still be on the front page.
as ever,
sonny

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 21, 2004, 02:47 PM

G3 400 B&W.
640MB ram, 20GB HD, DVD, Zip, modem, etc.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

discotronic
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 02:56 PM

Here is one for an iMac DV 450 with 1GB RAM:

http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=239114

sworthy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 21, 2004, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by sledsbehave:
three was a guy here selling an imac 350mhz for $75 plus shipping, it's a decent system for a 3 year old.

the thread should still be on the front page.
It's actually for three daughters, aged 12, 16, and 18

Thanks for the replies so far, I'll have to think about the options, I'll let everyone know soon.

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Dec 21, 2004, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by sworthy:
It's actually for three daughters, aged 12, 16, and 18

Thanks for the replies so far, I'll have to think about the options, I'll let everyone know soon.
I have an older 7500 upgraded to a 500 Mhz G3, 256 MB Ram and two 9 GB 7200 fast and wide SCSI hard drives. It also has an external 4X CD Burner and a firewire and USB card! All for $200 shipped!!!

P.S. Running MacOS 9.2.2 (yes I know, but it is with the help of xPostFacto) I did have 10.2 loaded on it and I can again if you want.
Chappaquidick 1, Cheney 0

crazeazn
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 22, 2004, 01:02 AM

u may want to get a pc? (not to crap on anyone's offers)
12" AI book REV B, mac mini core duo 1.66

sworthy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 04:10 AM

Originally posted by crazeazn:
u may want to get a pc? (not to crap on anyone's offers)
I'm open to anything

werps
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2004, 06:12 AM

Yes, I think as discotronic. A 450 with 1gig ram is a nice little machine. $350.00 is a good price. If you need a bit o monetary help I would kick in $10.00 from Paypal! Maybe this seller would cut a better deal too for the cause?
Nitch hunting only allowed till you die!

sledsbehave
Senior User
Dec 22, 2004, 01:20 PM

i'd rather have the 450mhz imac, than ?ghz pc, just because of OS X -- which you cannot run on a PC.

and that imac with 1gb of RAM is gonna run panther really nicely.
as ever,
sonny

weazbert
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 22, 2004, 02:09 PM

but the PC would be much more upgradable and significantly faster. with DDR 2700, 8x agp, and a SATA interface.....plus the iMac has reached the end of its upgrade cycle, the PC is wide open.

that being said, i love OSX as well, but in this situation, i think the PC is a better fit

hope this helps.

sworthy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 22, 2004, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by werps:
Yes, I think as discotronic. A 450 with 1gig ram is a nice little machine. $350.00 is a good price. If you need a bit o monetary help I would kick in $10.00 from Paypal! Maybe this seller would cut a better deal too for the cause?
That's really nice of you! Thank you so much.

As far as PC or Mac goes, I'd like to go Mac as obviously I'm a huge Mac fan, but it's possible to get a brand new Dell for $359, which is ridiculously cheap. Unfortunately, cost is the main driver of my decision, but a 450 iMac does sound pretty good. Thanks for all of the offers and support so far, keep them coming!

werps
Forum Regular
Dec 22, 2004, 10:11 PM

Your welcome! Good luck with that! I know you will have!

Merry Christmas to you and your new comers!
Nitch hunting only allowed till you die!

davecom
Mac Elite
Dec 23, 2004, 11:12 PM

Even as a hardcore Mac user with 700+ posts I suggest you just get them a brand new PC. From $200 Walmart PCs to $350 Dells, you can't beat Brand New with a Warranty.

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 24, 2004, 12:07 AM

Originally posted by davecom:
Even as a hardcore Mac user with 700+ posts I suggest you just get them a brand new PC. From $200 Walmart PCs to $350 Dells, you can't beat Brand New with a Warranty.
Yeah, but who will do their tech support? With the Mac, you do not have to worry about that stuff. It's a gift that works forever.

nshank
Dec 25, 2004, 11:32 PM

I have a brand new Dell Dimented (Dimensions) 4600 that has been sitting on my shelf for almost a year. That said, here are the spec's

P4 2.8C
512M DDR-400
40G HDD (Will upgrade to an 80, if I can clear my back-order)
16x DVD
48x CD-RW
no floppy
onboard sound
Onboard Intel Extreme 2
3x PCI
1x AGP 8X. (Will add 128M Sapphire Radeon 9000Pro, if it's of use)
Keyboard
Mouse
WinXP Home
All the Dell stuff's.

I'm in Tacoma, and it it's going to Seattle, and someone is willing to pick-up, I'll throw in a 17" monitor...

I was asking $600, but, for this family, I'll take $400. If your interested, email me: nshank(AT)quorumsystems.yi.org
Nick
Primary: Windtunnel (MDD) 1.25DP, 2G DDR, 128M Radeon 9000 Pro (PC Mod, have the original 64M Mac one for GP), Combo drive,
2x NEC 4X DVD-RW's, 2x Seagate 120G, 2x IBM 9.1G U2W in RAID 1, 2x Samsung 191T+ LCD's

phishindsn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2004, 01:14 AM

I don't think anyone is listening to this guy...$200 seems to be his max and obviously he is looking for a Mac as stated over and over. I would stop throwing those $400 PCs at him when obviously he is not looking for that.

On a side note, I might have some mac G3's for real cheap. I am getting the from a friend who found them being thrown out of an old print shop. I honestly dont know the specs yet...but if they are decent and still working and all I will post. I do know they are G3s eMac because he descibed them as looking like a bubble with a handle. So I just assume thats the best description of a G3.

I'll get back on here when I find out.
|20" iMac G5 Intel iSight|12" Powerbook G4|30gig iPod R.I.P.|30gig iPod Photo|2 gig Nano|Media Reader|Nikon Coolpix 4300|

sledsbehave
Senior User
Dec 26, 2004, 02:13 PM

i think what he is looking for is someone with a nice powermac or imac that can take cut from what it is worth, if yr machine is worth $500 or $400, then maybe you could sell it to him for $200.

i have and biege G3 266 powermac, desktop model, you can have for the cost of shipping, but i'm not sure that will be enough for 3 children.
as ever,
sonny

phishindsn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 26, 2004, 03:01 PM

I do believe in the first post he said 100-200 range for a usable computer...don't assume that he is asking for a $500 powermac and wants you to take a hit. Sometimes you gotta listen to what they are looking for and not assume that everyone is out to get you. Geesh people dont trust each other nowadays do they?

|20" iMac G5 Intel iSight|12" Powerbook G4|30gig iPod R.I.P.|30gig iPod Photo|2 gig Nano|Media Reader|Nikon Coolpix 4300|

weazbert
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 26, 2004, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by phishindsn:
I do believe in the first post he said 100-200 range for a usable computer...don't assume that he is asking for a $500 powermac and wants you to take a hit. Sometimes you gotta listen to what they are looking for and not assume that everyone is out to get you. Geesh people dont trust each other nowadays do they?

hmmm, perhaps you did not read the original post either.

"They only want to spend $100, but I'm going to kick in $200 or so because $100 won't get a usable computer. Does anyone have an old machine (Mac or PC) that falls close enough to that price range?"

now i don't know how you read that, but it seems to me, that the total price is around 300, or so. aside from that he mentions Mac or PC. instead of telling everyone what you think he wants.....join us in listening to him.

sworthy  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 27, 2004, 06:05 AM

weazbert: Good summary, exactly what I was thinking

nshank: Though it's a PC, yours sounds almost exactly what I'm looking for. Let me confer with my fiance and I'll see what we can do. If we can get it, I'll be able to pick it up after the 1st when I get back in town.

I want to thank everyone for their interest again, and especially thank werps for his $10 contribution and weazbert for his proposed discount. There are some really genuinely nice people here at MacNN, and I appreciate it greatly.

buffalolee
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2004, 10:29 AM

Originally posted by sledsbehave:
i think what he is looking for is someone with a nice powermac or imac that can take cut from what it is worth, if yr machine is worth $500 or $400, then maybe you could sell it to him for $200.

i have and biege G3 266 powermac, desktop model, you can have for the cost of shipping, but i'm not sure that will be enough for 3 children.
This one is quite usable. May not be good for games, but quite usable with Mac OS 8.x if they just need word processing and Internet.

nshank
Jan 4, 2005, 07:33 PM

Sworthy,
Not a problem. I expect I'll be around
Nick
Primary: Windtunnel (MDD) 1.25DP, 2G DDR, 128M Radeon 9000 Pro (PC Mod, have the original 64M Mac one for GP), Combo drive,
2x NEC 4X DVD-RW's, 2x Seagate 120G, 2x IBM 9.1G U2W in RAID 1, 2x Samsung 191T+ LCD's

Forum Links
Forum Rules