Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Ti revisions & keyboards/keycaps

Ti revisions & keyboards/keycaps
Maneki Neko
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2002, 06:33 PM

Hello,

From my understanding, the keyboards are not swappable between various Ti Book revisions. Is this correct?

Are the keycaps themselves swappable? I have a Ti 500 whose space bar is starting to get fairly worn, and I'd like to replace the keyboard/key caps with fresh ones.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 24, 2002, 09:08 PM

If you're looking at getting Apple-branded caps, you're better off buying a whole new keyboard. Apple-branded caps sell for a hefty price.

All TiBook keyboards are slightly different. They use different connectors, and the "gigabit" TiBook first introduced two "Apple" keys. Key caps are interchangeable, but I wouldn't recommend buying caps from www.pbparts.com if you're looking for a bargain. The Apple Store was very good about handing me a free, extra "fn" key when I took a Ti into the store.

Considering Apple TiBook keyboards start at $200, neither solution is preferable. Your only alternative is waiting for a KeyBorg series for the TiBook.

A recommendation for the future: external keyboards.

Maneki Neko  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 25, 2002, 12:44 AM

EBay prices for keyboard & keycaps are dirt cheap, compared to the pbparts prices. I'll just pick them up there.

Thanks for the info. Most of my wear has honestly been in the space bar key, it appears I hit it with my right thumb far more often than my left.

seanyepez
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 25, 2002, 12:52 AM

Yeah. Space bars are often the first to show wear.

Forum Links
Forum Rules