Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Lodge a formal complaint with Apple

Lodge a formal complaint with Apple
TBoxman
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 02:43 PM

I just called Apple Customer Relations (800) 275-2273. The person I spoke with claimed that Apple typically fulfilled backorders in the sequence they were recieved. I pointed out (repeatedly) that this was not the case with the 17" PowerBooks, and quoted several order/ship times from these forums as proof.

She did inform me that typically all orders are built in the sequence they are recieved. If you ordered from a 3rd party reseller (MacMall, MacWarehouse, MacZones, etc.) they often build up an internal backorder before the place an actual order with Apple. This may explain why these customers are not having their orders shipped yet. However, my friend at MacZones said they ordered hundreds on Jan 7th, so this info does not jive.

Anyway, I lodged a formal complaint with Apple. I am a long standing Mac user, since 1984 and will continue to be; mostly because I don't have a choice. I just believe Apple should hear from the customers it is alienating with its sales policies and shipping delays.

I urge everyone else upset by this fiasco to do the same. It doesn't mean you cancel you order, or that you have to switch to Windows (I would never do that). It does mean you are heard and aren't ignored.

Again, the number is (800) 275-2273.

Thanks,
TBoxman

Karim
Senior User
Mar 20, 2003, 02:49 PM

I would think (this is what I would do) that Maczone or whatever 3rd party reseller would order the units the minute they are announced so they have stock to sell. I don't think they wait for customer orders then order.

Each reseller knows what they can sell, and seeing the 17" would make anyone confident they could sell some units. I'm not saying they would order thousands without customers but definately in the 10's or 100's depending on the store size.

I thought the 3rd party resellers even get a heads up before public announcement so they could order before anyone else.

G-mac
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2003, 02:49 PM

Useful information.

Although I haven't ordered a PB17" myself, I have waited for Apple products in the past and can understand the frustration, if not furor, over the delays.

Good luck to all those waiting!

TBoxman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 02:53 PM

Sorry for starting multiple threads on this topic. Safari kept telling me it couldn't load the data, so I clicked again, twice. Seems third time is a charm.

Maybe the mods will delete the other two.

TBoxman

GeekyJeff
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2003, 03:42 PM

Well I ordered my stock 17" from the Apple online store on 1/15 with an oob of 3/28. Several people who ordered after that date from the Apple online store have received shipping #'s. I will be calling Apple for sure.

donovan713
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 03:54 PM

Can anyone think of any other products that have this kind of fulfillment problem? Particulary products whose production process is as complex as a PowerBook. And let's face it, there aren't throngs of Gateway or Dell nuts falling all over each other to get the latest box the first day it ships. We are a breed apart, and we place higher standards on Apple than do the customers of other companies.

Right now, supply on these babies is N, and demand is N squared. Not everyone can get their's first.

Now Steve Jobs did say that they would be shipping in February when he made the anouncement, but everyone should know to take those kinds of statements with a grain of salt. I'm sure there where more than a few people in the know at Apple who were smacking their foreheads when he said that.

I agree that if Apple can't deliver a product for three months, then they should hold off on the anouncement, but except for Steve's statement they never misled us. I placed my order on the day of the anouncement, and was immediately told 8-10 weeks. That was January 7th. They started arriving on Tuesday March 18th. Go check a calendar, that's 10 weeks exactly.

P.S. I got mine Wednesday, exactly ten weeks and one day. I'd sue the bastards but I am to busy playing with my new compuer.

TBoxman  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 04:39 PM

Originally posted by donovan713:

I agree that if Apple can't deliver a product for three months, then they should hold off on the anouncement, but except for Steve's statement they never misled us. I placed my order on the day of the anouncement, and was immediately told 8-10 weeks. That was January 7th. They started arriving on Tuesday March 18th. Go check a calendar, that's 10 weeks exactly.
That's not the point. I understand that Jobs announced the product too soon so he could make a big fanfare are MacWorld. That is a marketing opportunity too large to pass up.

My complaint is that orders are not being fulfilled on a first come first serve basis. What the heck is a backorder worth if some lucky person can walk in off the street and buy one at a retail store? The third party retailers are really being hard hit by this.

I specifically did NOT order from the Apple Store. I didn't want to pay full retail, or 8.25% tax. And Apple's memory prices are rediculous. I think the Apple Store is a great idea, and I applaud people for buying Apple. But I'm still standing in line since Jan 10th.

Over the years I have purchase 6 Macintoshes (Mac Plus, IIci, IIci, 840av, G4 450, 17" PowerBook). That's me personally. I have purchases loads more for work.

Well, I'm just ranting because I want my f'ing PowerBook, and I'm tired of waiting! I think 69 days and counting is too long. Am I alone in this?

Peeved.

John123
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2003, 05:08 PM

The only legitimate gripe you would have is if someone ordered an identically-specced PowerBook from the online Apple store AFTER you and yet theirs shipped before yours.

If you are griping about people getting them at local Apple stores, and you have access to one, why didn't you put your name on the waiting list? A lot of people tried that dual approach -- it's been a common one among Mac users for some time now.

Same thing for third-party dealers.

dccski
Forum Regular
Mar 20, 2003, 05:13 PM

some people are getting later orders before earlier ones. i think this is at the heart of a lot of the frustration

IngridCold
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 20, 2003, 05:18 PM

Jeeeeesh relax will you.

You'll get your powerbook soon enough, why not just be happy for the lucky ones who have got one already?

iC

Forum Links
Forum Rules