Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Critique a fundraising sign

Critique a fundraising sign
bradoesch
Professional Poster
Nov 15, 2003, 09:52 AM

Hello,

First time posting in the A&G forum, hopefully this is alright. Anyway, I'm creating a sign to advertise how my company will help fundraising for our town's new arena. In my history or making signs for this business, they've all been lame and I don't like the work I create. As you can tell from the thumbnail below, I don't have any sense of design or what looks good. :/ Any advise or help is greatly appreciated. The thumbnail below links to the full size JPG, and I'll also link to the PSD and company font.

Original PSD file
Company font

Thanks for any help!

Brad

edit: Got the links working.
( Last edited by bradoesch; Nov 19, 2003 at 03:15 PM. )

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2003, 02:55 PM

move your body copy up so its closer to the titling, you may want to use a serif font, I think it'd work better with the titling, but try to use a different font than... is that lucinda? The loaf of bread could use some work too, its just not bread looking enough, the curves on a loaf of bread aren't that dramatic. you may want to play with a bit more of a dramatic layout, something like this maybe?

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2003, 04:56 PM

If you fix the links to the .psd and font i will take a look and send you some ideas.

RedStar
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 15, 2003, 05:53 PM

ok, i dont have your font, but i threw something together for the bottom. The sketch of the bread is real quick but it might give you an idea of what to do.

http://www.digitalpuddle.com/files/breadsign.gif

edit: took some ideas from godzookie's post

godzookie2k
Mac Elite
Nov 16, 2003, 12:02 AM

his font is cooper black if that helps.

art_director
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2003, 11:04 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Hello,

First time posting in the A&G forum, hopefully this is alright. Anyway, I'm creating a sign to advertise how my company will help fundraising for our town's new arena. In my history or making signs for this business, they've all been lame and I don't like the work I create. As you can tell from the thumbnail below, I don't have any sense of design or what looks good. :/ Any advise or help is greatly appreciated. The thumbnail below links to the full size JPG, and I'll also link to the PSD and company font.

Original PSD file
Company font

Thanks for any help!

Brad

edit: argh, can't seem to link to those files. it should be accessable at my filesharing page http://homepage.mac.com/bradoesch

i usually avoid doing this, but...

the concept / headline: "important notice to customers" is the way you start telling people that the Salmonella scare in your bakery has been addressed, not how you inform them that you're doing something as cool as giving a portion of your profits to help build a new community centre.

you need a line that has a concept to it. your bakery really is doing a great thing, make it feel great.

some THOUGHT STARTERS that need work but maybe they'll get you going in a direction:

- our bread isn't the only thing rising around here. (copy ties back to how we'll help build the centre via our / your contributions.)

- the greatest thing sinced sliced bread? (again, copy pays off the building effort and how we're contributing and so can you.)

- whole wheat, 9-grain, rye, community centre?

and for the REALLY BAD pun...

- head: we're not loafing around.
subhead: we're helping build the community.

visually you could play off the shape of a loaf of bread and the shape of the new community centre. perhaps it's a cross section of a loaf and an elevation drawing of the new (or soon to be new) building. know an architect who could do a cad drawing for you?

also, get your name out of the headline. sign the poster off with the name � drop it to the bottom. do you have a logo to use?

i understand that you're not an advertising / design pro, please don't take my comments as a slam, i'm trying to help.

this has been my three minute stab at an idea.

Thor
Forum Regular
Nov 16, 2003, 08:07 PM

i'm a creative because i don't want to hang drywall for a living.
...and based on that last post, you won't be slinging mud any time soon.

art_director
Professional Poster
Nov 16, 2003, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by Thor:
...and based on that last post, you won't be slinging mud any time soon.

were i not drunk i'd think you were mocking me. :�)

andi*pandi
Nov 18, 2003, 01:08 PM

what a/d said. Flyers don't get much notice, you've gotta bring folks in.

May want to rewrite your ad copy. This time, use punctuation.

bradoesch  (op)
Professional Poster
Nov 19, 2003, 03:16 PM

Thanks everybody for all your help. I think I'll change the wording for sure. I also got the links working to the font and the PSD file, if
interested.

Font
Photoshop file

Brad

Forum Links
Forum Rules