Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Real or Fake?

Real or Fake?
mixin visuals
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 07:46 PM

http://oldcrows.net/~oldcrow/Lugo_SWR.mpg

what do you think?

post other videos that may be fake too if you know any
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2004, 07:51 PM

Originally posted by mixin visuals:
http://oldcrows.net/~oldcrow/Lugo_SWR.mpg

what do you think?

post other videos that may be fake too if you know any
Very fake. Electricity takes the route of least resistance, if that happened at all it would be a fairly straight line between the two ends, not in a huge arc like that.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2004, 08:00 PM

I vote for fake too. It seems to me that the lighting on the posts that the arc is coming from doesn't change. And I assume that an arc like that would put out a good deal of light.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 08:08 PM

Real or fake?

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2004, 08:18 PM

Originally posted by mrfrost:
Real or fake?

Real, I have seen that sort of cotton/silk in person...

Tulkas
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2004, 08:29 PM

So absurdly fake it hurts.

Those cows won't know what hit 'em. They won't know what hit them even after it hits them, because they're cows.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2004, 08:31 PM

I'm not so sure the arcing is fake. Remember, the arc will heat the air, which will rise. The path of least resistance is not necessarily a straight line. I'm sure you've seen bolts of lightning that aren't straight.

Chris

tomdavidson69
Forum Regular
Jan 15, 2004, 08:49 PM

Fake. Electricity wants to go to earth not fanny around making pretty patterns in the air.
"I'm Captain Chaos! Been in the force long...?"

xv_ronin_vx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 15, 2004, 08:57 PM

Did anyone see the wires above that the arc was moving towards? It would seem to be a path of less resistance than the ground beneath. The zoom action would also make this a hard thing to fake, but if it is, it's very good. I think it is legitimate.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2004, 09:11 PM

Cool sound.

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

quandarry
Jan 15, 2004, 09:14 PM

fake...when in the distance the arc doesn't look like it is.
( Last edited by quandarry; Jan 15, 2004 at 09:47 PM. )

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2004, 09:40 PM

Fake or not, at least some guys are talkin' 'bout...

The person on the left is walking along there and doesn't seem to be interrested in that monster in any way - strange.
On the other hand, at the van there are two persons and one of them seems to take cover until the electric arc is gone.

And the blizzard looks too sharp for me, I guess it's rendered.

EDIT: Watched it again, and now I see that there are two persons on the left, too. And it looks more like that the one I mentioned is going backwards, filming the whole thing. It still looks rendered to me, but the behavior of the surrounding people makes me wonder if it could not be real anyways.
( Last edited by andreas_g4; Jan 15, 2004 at 09:48 PM. )

quandarry
Jan 15, 2004, 09:55 PM

yeah they are behind the truck and the guy on the left is hiding too...can't tell who is yelling at the end because they are both throwing up there hands...hmmmm?

what the hell are those swinging things with balls anyway?

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2004, 10:13 PM

real

faragbre967
Senior User
Jan 15, 2004, 10:24 PM

If it was real it would have been really cool to see.

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 11:07 PM

Thats real
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

GK
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2004, 11:14 PM

real

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2004, 11:15 PM

It's real man. Must be the dry weather.
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2004, 11:22 PM

That's so fake it hurts. It's merely the jacks opening. There will be a bit of an arc, and some noise, but nothing like that. I made a movie once, using that lightning bolt thingy in iMovie 3 too, but in 11 years of electrical work, nothing like this has ever happened.

The tits are real though

Agasthya
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2004, 11:38 PM

Either its fake, or it happens often. There's no reason that those guys should be filming electrical wires for fun unless they knew some stuff was going to happen.

mixin visuals  (op)
Mac Elite
Jan 16, 2004, 01:40 AM

Originally posted by tomdavidson69:
Fake. Electricity wants to go to earth not fanny around making pretty patterns in the air.
what are those machines that look like 2 antennas that electricity raises up through then?

does the same thing i think
Technology, Computing & Creativity - www.clubmedia.com

Overflowing with Design Links - www.mixinvisuals.com

VW Sites.com - Links to the Volkswagen World - www.vwsites.com

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 01:53 AM

Originally posted by quandarry:
fake...when in the distance the arc doesn't look like it is.
Agreed.

BTW: Have anyone seen the "humor" clip with the guy that gets hit by a car in full speed. I couldn't really tell if was real or not.

If I only had a link..

Sniffer gone old-school sig

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 02:08 AM

Found it:
http://content.funvids.net/content/look-first.mpeg

The original one that I saw had this "funny" background tune in it btw. Made it kind of worse.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 16, 2004, 03:59 PM

fake.

Electricity normally takes the path of least resistance. Yes, it will heat up the air around it, causing it to form an arc rather than a line. But it doesn't create flame-like patterns. Just a curve.

(Lightning is jagged because of the varying conductivity in the atmosphere through which it's passing.)

tooki

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 16, 2004, 04:03 PM

Originally posted by sniffer:
Agreed.

BTW: Have anyone seen the "humor" clip with the guy that gets hit by a car in full speed. I couldn't really tell if was real or not.

If I only had a link..
Did you notice that in the corner of said video, there's a Clio award trophy?

(The Clio Awards are awards for TV commercials.)

tooki

hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2004, 06:48 PM

Okay, you guys convinced me it's a fake.

But that guy who got hit by a car while crossing the street is real man!
Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jan 16, 2004, 09:06 PM

My comment about the Clio award refers to the guy getting run over video. It is fake. It's not customary to kill the actors in TV commercials.

tooki

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jan 16, 2004, 09:23 PM

Originally posted by tooki:
My comment about the Clio award refers to the guy getting run over video. It is fake. It's not customary to kill the actors in TV commercials.

tooki
Lol! Actually the site I found it on now stated something about it being fake. I just leaved it out to see the reactions here. Although I didn't know what to believe first time I saw it.

hagheid
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 16, 2004, 09:38 PM

Yes this is a real fake

Lerkfish
Jan 16, 2004, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by tooki:

tooki
tell that to Vic Morrow (/bad joke)

Lerkfish
Jan 16, 2004, 09:45 PM

I am confused why anyone would look at it and think it could be real. Obviously faked, if for no other reason than the arc is uniformly backdropped by a dodged shadow to make the shape of the arc more distinct.
Look at it again. why would there be a shadow in the sky behind the arc? If anything, it would hard to make out the edges of the arc because it would be emitting light universally and blurring its path visually, especially from that far away.

Kenneth
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2004, 10:09 PM

It can't be!

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2004, 11:12 PM

I don't see a shadow behind the arc.

Lerkfish
Jan 16, 2004, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
I don't see a shadow behind the arc.
move it still frame by still frame.

there is the arc, there is the light blue sky. Along the edge of the arc is a darker outline.
If you'll notice, this shadow edge is of a consistent thickness around the arc, an artifact of transferring the fx to the original footage.

If it were a naturally occuring phenomena, the shadow edge would not be uniform, and in fact would likely not be there at all...you'd see the arc, a brilliant flash, against the light blue sky. there wouldn't be any DARKER area between them, but rather an averaging fusion of the very light arc and the slightly darker sky, NOT a shadow that was about 3 times darker than the sky.

at least, that's what I see.

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 16, 2004, 11:33 PM

either this is a regular occurence, or the two people in the bottom left hand corner are deaf and blind. if i saw this happening i would be standing there freaking out probably, not just standing around.

either real or fake, it is still pretty damn cool

mathew_m
Senior User
Jan 16, 2004, 11:34 PM

Listen to Lerk, he's an expert on these kinds of things. Hidden shadows and such...

Oh yeah its fake but pretty cool nonetheless. What's it selling, beer? Who knows nowadays.

SomeToast
Senior User
Jan 17, 2004, 12:36 PM

Real.

And an analysis of the video.

I don't know why the arcing is perceived as unbelievable... you see the same behavior at a smaller scale with a Jacob's Ladder.

Kilbey
Baninated
Jan 17, 2004, 12:52 PM

Originally posted by SomeToast:
Real.

I don't know why the arcing is perceived as unbelievable... you see the same behavior at a smaller scale with a Jacob's Ladder.

Well, I hope that settles that discussion.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 17, 2004, 12:59 PM

If you'll notice, this shadow edge is of a consistent thickness around the arc, an artifact of transferring the fx to the original footage.
I'm still not sure I see what you're talking about. But I suspect it's an artifact of compression, not FX.

either this is a regular occurence, or the two people in the bottom left hand corner are deaf and blind. if i saw this happening i would be standing there freaking out probably, not just standing around.
Those are clearly employees of the power company. They obviously anticipated this event, that's why it was recorded. I'm sure if I took you up in an airplane and did some of the things I used to do as a test pilot, you'd be pretty freaked out too.

Real

Chris

gorickey
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2004, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by chabig:
I'm sure if I took you up in an airplane and did some of the things I used to do as a test pilot, you'd be pretty freaked out too.
I would LOVE that....what time can you fly by and pick me up?

Lerkfish
Jan 17, 2004, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by SomeToast:
Real.

ah well, if so, then I stand corrected.

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2005, 08:25 AM

A thread from the dead: I had to dig this up when I came across the absolutely cool "Art of Coin Shrinking" page.

The video above is definitely real. Read about it here.

Thought this one was cool too.

Physics can be fun!

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Dec 8, 2005, 08:55 AM

Wow, fun with electricity. Like when your friends are trying to jump a car and you see a big spart fly up. Good times.

meelk
Baninated
Dec 8, 2005, 09:27 AM

"omglolsohnoes that video is so fake! lookit the shadows!"
do you people listen to yourselves? Everyone runs around on the internet like they are goddamn experts inventing false reasoning for things that are CLEARLY real. You can tell by looking at the equipment involved those lines arent just sitting in someones back yard, and the people involved are CLEARLY employees of the electric company, theres a damn truck there that oh gosh, looks like a damn truck those people drive! Also, both people on the left and the guy on the right appear to be wearing the same kind of protective headgear.
I'm so tired of the incredible level of cynical ability to the point of stupidity the internet has nurtured in people.

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 8, 2005, 10:57 AM

Actually, I DO have some experience with high voltage electricity and how it behaves. At really high voltages, electricity can do some really "interesting" things. In this case, the arc between the two points ionized and superheated the air between the points. Ionized air is much more conductive than normal air-it has basically become polarized. The ionized air, being superheated, began to rise so the arc continued to follow it until its temperature fell to something close to ambient and the ionization dissipated.

What interests me about this thread and the variety of negative analyses of it is that so many people figured that 40,000V acted just like 120V. It doesn't. Look at the spark you get when you scuff across a carpet on a dry day. You build up tens of thousands of volts worth of static by doing that. It takes approximately 20,000VDC to jump a distance of ONE INCH. AC acts a bit differently, but takes even more voltage to jump a specific distance, though once it starts, an AC arc can sustain itself for a while because of how it affects the air it goes through.

Normal house current is set at the relatively low 120VAC (in North America) for safety reasons (as well as other practical reasons). You should never see much more than a tiny spark when you plug something in at home because of this. But before it gets to your house at 120V, it's generated at a much higher voltage and transfomed up to ludicrously high voltages for efficient transmission over long distances. This is because resistive losses are directly related to the current through the circuit, and by transforming up to extremely high voltages, the same amount of power can be transmitted at very low currents. As the power gets closer to your house, it goes through transformers that step down the voltage. Transformers preserve the power going through them, so as voltage goes down, the available current goes up. Eventually there's a transformer near your house that provides two legs of a 220V feed, both referenced to the same ground and neutral, and both phased 180 degrees apart-this is how the same feed to a house can power 120V lights and a 220V electric clothes dryer.

Ok, lecture's over.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

nerd
Senior User
Dec 8, 2005, 11:26 AM

What ghporter said.

I was in Farmington, NM for work a couple months back and my coworker and I hear an arc. We both look up to the power lines (7200v ones) next to the building we on the roof of. 2 of the phases are swinging towards each other and arcing. Only the wires between these 2 poles did this. It wasn't windy that day either. The lines did this about 6 times before a breaker tripped. I tried to get down the ladder in time to get the camera but was to late.

The only thing we could think of was there was a big load on only one phase and it cause a magnetic field to generate at that portion of the line. I'm not an expert with electricity, maybe some of you guys can chime in here. Anyways, it was very impressive seeing that size of arc in person. It wasn't more then 100 feet away from us.

Brad

Edit: Spelling for wataru.
( Last edited by nerd; Dec 8, 2005 at 03:28 PM. )

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2005, 02:32 PM

It's common for people who have never seen an event to come up with logical reasons on why it must be fake. Look at 9/11. Look at the moon landing. Look at the video. It's unfathomable that it is real because we have never seen anything like it (like when Star Wars was brand new).

Besides, the thread is over a year old. I just remembered it when I came across the page that explains it. It's just cool!

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2005, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by nerd
I hear an ark. Anyways, it was very impressive seeing that size of ark
This is an ark:

These are arcs:

nerd
Senior User
Dec 8, 2005, 03:25 PM

okay, okay..........

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 8, 2005, 05:26 PM

It is certainly very cool to look at.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Forum Links
Forum Rules