Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G3 All-In-One (AIO) won�t start up�

G3 All-In-One (AIO) won�t start up�
bojangles
Senior User
Oct 5, 2003, 01:12 PM

Hey there. I just picked up a G3 AIO shell last night. It came with the power supply, floppy, CD-ROM, and all cables. I already had an old AIO with a dead power supply, so I took the mobo and zip drive out of there and hooked everything up.

Well, once everything was in place, I plugged it in, and flipped the switch. The machine powers up and the fan comes on, while the num lock, caps lock, and scroll lock lights flash violently. Nothing else happens.

I�ve tried pressing/holding the CUDA, switching the power jumper from Mac to PC and back, and would be happy to reset the PRAM if I could just get a startup chime.

Any ideas?
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.â€
—Abraham Lincoln

:XI:
Mac Elite
Oct 5, 2003, 08:32 PM

Broken keyboard? Dead motherboard battery? You don't say if you've got a hard disk or not, or which machine it came from, are the jumpers set correctly on the Hard disk, cd-rom and zip?

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Oct 5, 2003, 08:56 PM

Thanks for responding, :XI:
You don't say if you've got a hard disk or not, or which machine it came from
I have an old 1.6GB IDE drive that I think I pulled from our 5400. (Regardless of which machine it came from, it bears the Apple logo.)
[A]re the jumpers set correctly on the Hard disk, cd-rom and zip?
I have not changed the jumper settings on either the HD or the CD-ROM, so let�s assume those are okay. (I�ll double-check them in a few, but unless you hear otherwise, they�re fine.) The zip is on the SCSI bus and was also working, last time it was installed in anything.
Broken keyboard?
I tried two different keyboards and no keyboard at all, and all three ways gave me the same results.
Dead motherboard battery?
Very good point. I should have thought of that myself! I�ll have to swap the battery out of something else and see if that makes the difference.

I�ll report back on my progress later. Thanks again!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never tell if they’re attributed to the right person.â€
—Abraham Lincoln

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Oct 6, 2003, 03:19 PM

Okay. Here�s the update:

CD-ROM: jumpers set to �Master.�
Hard drive: no apparent jumpers; it�s a 1.6GB Quantum drive with Apple logo; as far as Apple IDE drives are concerned, it�s a pretty early model.
Keyboard: see last post.
PRAM battery: replaced with known working battery; results exactly the same.

So�. Any other ideas?
—Abraham Lincoln

jsteinborn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 5, 2004, 04:35 PM

i'm having the same problems. i swapped out the powersupply, harddrive, and the battery. Could it just be the motherboard?

bojangles  (op)
Senior User
Feb 4, 2004, 12:16 AM

Hey, everyone. In case anyone cares, I played around with my AIO again, a few weeks ago, and he�s now perfectly functional and purring along as my dedicated 9.2.2 machine. I wound up disconnecting and reconnecting every wire that connects to the motherboard and switched the power jumper (looking at the back of the computer, it�s on the front right corner of the mobo) one last time. Viol�!

My wife and I named him Francis and use him to check our web sites in both Mac OS 9 and Win98.
—Abraham Lincoln

Forum Links
Forum Rules