Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mann... The new $50 bill is ugly!

Mann... The new $50 bill is ugly! (Page 2)
m_young
Forum Regular
May 2, 2004, 11:31 PM

yeah but the point is that you could still make those same counterfeits in 2 years and they'll still be good... from the link in the first post:

"You won�t have to exchange your old bills for new ones. Your old money will always be good. Every U.S. currency note issued since 1861 is still redeemable today at full face value. Both the new notes and the older-design notes will continue to be legal currency at full face value. The U.S. has never devalued its currency and will not do so now."

so the old ones will never be unusable... why try to make the new ones?

krove
Mac Elite
May 2, 2004, 11:40 PM

Probably because it is difficult to imagine a briefcase full of crisp new bills that use an old design.

Mimicking the old design but crumpling the notes (or whatever) to give them an aged look may just not work right given noone has the exact paper formulae.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
May 2, 2004, 11:54 PM

Originally posted by Developer:
It's not all about design. There are security features that need to be integrated into the banknote.

The Euro banknotes were designed by an Austrian.
As well as being designed on a Mac
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Ken Masters
Banned
May 3, 2004, 12:25 AM

I can't believe the Americans are still using paper.

How primitive.

krove
Mac Elite
May 3, 2004, 02:05 AM

Seriously, though: I HATE paper money. I'll swipe my ATM card any day of the week (as long as no fees are attached) instead of using cash.

While I've mentioned those damn fees, how can any person justify having to pay to use his/her own money. As if the communication between the ATM and your bank used more than a cents worth of communication! Stupid. I won't get gas at any ARCO station because they only take ATM (or cash) and charge a $1.50 fee. Since I usually have no cash, forget them.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

Link
Professional Poster
May 3, 2004, 02:22 AM

I used to LOVE using ATM cards until stores started replacing all the terminals with those ones where you have to use the pen to enter in your pin number

I don't get it either. Sometimes they're touch sensitive too so you don't have to use the pen but most aren't :|
Aloha

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
May 3, 2004, 07:36 AM

Originally posted by Frisbee:
You mean where the bill gets bigger as the value goes up? That is the worst idea, ever.
The size increase would be subtle, look at UK and Australian cash, you can actually work out how much money you have by looking at it vertically in your wallet.

Australia has plastic notes which are great, the Australian coins are based on the UK coins, they are designed so you can easily tell what you are holding without looking.

Forum Links
Forum Rules