Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > who said democracy doesn't work?

who said democracy doesn't work?
simonjames
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 05:03 PM

Rising star crushes his anti-gay opponent

This paper requires a log in so here is a cut and paste

The name might be unfamiliar, but it is probably worth remembering: Barack Obama of Illinois has emerged as a new US senator and future Democrat star.

Mr Obama, an African American graduate of the Harvard Law School, won his state's Senate seat with an estimated 76 per cent of the vote.

He is only the third black person elected to the Senate. He destroyed his Republican opponent, Alan Keyes, a conservative talk show host who is also black, but who does not live in Illinois.

Mr Keyes is from the state of Maryland, but that was not his only political handicap.

Earlier this year, Mr Keyes said the children of gay parents might unwittingly commit incest as adults, saying that many did not know their genetic heritage.

At the Republican convention in New York in September, Mr Keyes said the homosexual lifestyle was "based simply on the premise of selfish hedonism.

When asked if Mary Cheney, the lesbian daughter of the Vice-President, Dick Cheney, was a selfish hedonist, he said: "Of course she is."

Mr Obama attacked those remarks as homophobic and malicious. His victory was more, however, than a vote against Mr Keyes. He impressed many people with a passionate speech at the Democratic Party's convention in Boston in July.

Mr Obama is the son of a black Kenyan father and a white mother from Kansas.

The couple divorced when Mr Obama was an infant. He saw his father, who is now dead, only once after that. Mr Obama, 43, lived in Indonesia for four years as a boy when his mother married again. His time there included schooling in the Bible and the Koran. As a youth, he experimented with cocaine and other drugs. He is now a committed Christian.

His wife, Michelle, introduced her husband to cheering supporters, saying: "He's my husband, my honey, my man, my babies' daddy, and he will serve you well."

Mr Obama thanked his family, his pastor and his church.

He succeeds a Republican, Peter Fitzgerald, who is retiring.
this sig intentionally left blank

wolfen
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 05:14 PM

It's humanity that doesn't work. Democracy is just a symptom. But Mr. Obama seems like an intelligent and decent person (in other words, he doesn't have a chance at being president).
Do you want forgiveness or respect?

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 05:23 PM

+1 before pol lounge...

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

absmiths
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 05:25 PM

That's really too bad. Mr. Keyes is an exceptional man. I have heard him speak before and was very impressed. He is extremely conservative - and being 'religious' is certainly the flavor of the month on the national political scene. May I infer from your belief that democracy prevails that the nation did the correct thing in selecting a republican president and extending the republican majority in the house and senate? I do believe that 'rightness' was served when Tom Daschle finally lost his seat in the senate, but that cannot be the case in every election. Good candidates take their turns winning and losing.

Homophobia and hate-speech are such PC words. Are all democrats republiphobes? Are all women manophobes? We might as well label homosexuals as heterophobes - it has the exact same implication.

Besides, he is not the only entity claiming that homosexuality is a sexually-obsessed lifestyle. I have heard other psychologists claim that too.

Oh, well. The election is finally over and the nation can move forward and perhaps the good ideas from both sides can be the middle ground.

absmiths
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 05:30 PM

Originally posted by wolfen:
But Mr. Obama seems like an intelligent and decent person (in other words, he doesn't have a chance at being president).
If that applies to President Bush - which it doesn't - then it applies in spades to Mr. William "The Cigar" Clinton and Al "The Dufus" Gore.

ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 3, 2004, 05:42 PM

The Nazi's?

wolfen
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 05:50 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
Besides, he is not the only entity claiming that homosexuality is a sexually-obsessed lifestyle. I have heard other psychologists claim that too.
When you realize there are gay people who don't want sex as often as the average hetero, you realize what complete nonsense this is.

wolfen
Mac Elite
Nov 3, 2004, 05:52 PM

Originally posted by absmiths:
If that applies to President Bush - which it doesn't - then it applies in spades to Mr. William "The Cigar" Clinton and Al "The Dufus" Gore.
Where did THAT come from? Someone has "issues."

Forum Links
Forum Rules