Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > The "Where were you?" 'NN Thread...(.jpg savvy)

The "Where were you?" 'NN Thread...(.jpg savvy)
ManOfSteal
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2005, 11:01 PM

I'm not very proud to present the following; nonetheless, here it is...post a picture of an event/object that had some sort of significant impact in something (at least you think it did), and then explain where you were when you first came upon the news of the event and what your reaction was. I'll start:

Object:

Where were you?

I was at home, in college, just about to head off to an early AM class.

Reaction:

I was reading my daily "Mac sites" as I always do and came upon this interesting article with pictures and video of the now infamous fake "Spymac iWalk". After restarting Internet Explorer a few hundred times as it was always crashing during the download of the video, I was intrigued for sure, but then realized that it was a fake and from that moment on, I lost all respect for Spymac and have never looked back. I then started to read the 'NN more and got actively involved in the forums, and obviously, the rest is history. So basically, I blame the "Spymac iWalk" in making me at one point "Clinically Insane", and now just plain "Addicted" and that's why I find this object to have some sort of significant impact.

Next?

CD Hanks
Mac Elite
Feb 27, 2005, 11:22 PM

In before 9/11 and JFK.
<some witty quote that identifies my originality as a person except for the fact everyone else does the same thing>

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 27, 2005, 11:25 PM

I saw Anna Nicole Smith naked. My eyes still burn.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 12:39 AM

Event:

Where Was I:

Upper Deck, Section 33. (I Still have the ticket stub!)

Reaction:

Years of crappy teams, overpaid players, and the occasional October Heartbreak can't curb my enthusiasm every spring, since This Year might be The Year (again). And now, I can share it without feeling like I'm piling on the poor, formerly-cursed Sox fans.

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 28, 2005, 01:11 AM

Do you know what savvy means?

ManOfSteal  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2005, 01:54 AM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Do you know what savvy means?
savvy (sav-vie); adj.
1.) To stay on topic.
2.) Not to derail. For example: As a mod, I promise not to derail the thread.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 28, 2005, 02:09 AM

Originally posted by ManOfSteal:
savvy (sav-vie); adj.
1.) To stay on topic.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 28, 2005, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by MacGorilla:
I saw Anna Nicole Smith naked. My eyes still burn.
Too bad you saw the Later Anna. She was HOT when she first showed up in Playboy! Later...it wasn't as bad as seeing your grandma naked, but it sure wasn't up to her earlier standards!

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 28, 2005, 11:42 AM

Originally posted by dreilly1:
Years of crappy teams, overpaid players, and the occasional October Heartbreak can't curb my enthusiasm every spring, since This Year might be The Year (again). And now, I can share it without feeling like I'm piling on the poor, formerly-cursed Sox fans.
Buckner has to be one of the most tragic figures in sports history. Poor guy was an excellent hitter with terrible problems with injuries at the time. There is no way he should have been out there at that time.

The Red Sox this year made defensive adjustments at the end of games. Had they done that in 1986, they would have gotten that last out.

I was watching this game on TV (recorded it on our new VCR actually.)

I'm not a Red Sox fan, but I was saddened by this play. That two seconds will define Buckner for the rest of his life.

Wasn't Kevin Mitchell called back from the showers that inning? Even he thought it was all over.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

demograph68
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by CD Hanks:
In before 9/11 and JFK.
Crap.

dreilly1
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 12:30 PM

Originally posted by davesimondotcom:
Buckner has to be one of the most tragic figures in sports history. Poor guy was an excellent hitter with terrible problems with injuries at the time. There is no way he should have been out there at that time.
I don't even think his bad knees was an issue there, he just made a bad play. Anyone can make a bad play. And that play itself didn't make the difference -- the game was already tied because of the wild pitch, and the Red Sox had another chance in the next game. It's like that guy in Chicago last year and the foul ball: the Cubs made many more mistakes that day, and that one bad play could have been compensated for on the field.

I agree that Buckner's been treated unfairly, and should be remembered for more than just that play. But that's the nature of sports, and championship games -- you can be spectacular for your whole season, or your whole career, but choke in the big game and that's what you'll be remembered for. Just ask Donovan McNabb!

Wasn't Kevin Mitchell called back from the showers that inning? Even he thought it was all over.
I've read since then that with two outs and nobody on, the champaigne and video interview crews was getting prepared in the visiting clubhouse, and "Congratulation Boston" appeared on the DiamondVision at Shea. I don't remember any of that, though -- as a young sprout, the thought that the team would lose after coming this far never entered my mind. Compare that with 2000 -- as an older, more cynical fan, I knew the Mets had no business being in the World Series, and hoped that adrenaline and chutzpah could carry them. Ahh, to be young and naive again!

Member of the the Stupid Brigade! (If you see Sponsored Links in any of my posts, please PM me!)

Zimphire
Baninated
Feb 28, 2005, 01:54 PM

Originally posted by ManOfSteal:
savvy (sav-vie); adj.
1.) To stay on topic.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 02:50 PM

Unfortunately I do not have pictures of the event, but it happened in my bedroom at my parents' place.

Ah, memories.

And MoS, I still refuse to read any link off SpyMac because of that.

malvolio
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 03:51 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
Unfortunately I do not have pictures of the event, but it happened in my bedroom at my parents' place.
I do.
And they'll be posted to voyeurweb.com unless you come up with the $$$.
/mal
"I sentence you to be hanged by the neck until you cheer up."
MacBook Pro 15" w/ Mac OS 10.8.2, iPhone 4S & iPad 4th-gen. w/ iOS 6.1.2

Albert Pujols
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 03:57 PM

Originally posted by JHromadka:
And MoS, I still refuse to read any link off SpyMac because of that.
I say we have ourselves a good'ol internet forum brawl. Sort of like Crips vs Bloods.

JHromadka
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 04:28 PM

Originally posted by Albert Pujols:
I say we have ourselves a good'ol internet forum brawl. Sort of like Crips vs Bloods.
We need a graphic with the iWalk saying "SpyMac is teh suck" or one with firefighters/soldiers raising a burned iWalk flag outside MWNY with the words "Never Forget" captioned below.

badidea
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 04:40 PM

Where was I?

In the belly of my mother, waiting for my performance!

edit: changed stomach to belly (because this was a translation error / and I didn't want to use the word Uterus)
( Last edited by badidea; Mar 1, 2005 at 09:18 AM. )

ajprice
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 05:03 PM

Stomach??? So your mum is a cannibal?

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Deimos
Feb 28, 2005, 05:07 PM

I had dinner with Ray Harryhausen on Saturday. Memorable night.

Does that count?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 28, 2005, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by Deimos:
I had dinner with Ray Harryhausen on Saturday. Memorable night.

Does that count?
You betcha! For real, or a movie marathon? No, wait a minute. Isn't he dead now? (Too many icons passing, and damn it, I didn't get to meet enough of them.)

I'm looking for the picture; I really did meet Buzz Aldrin. He was there for a book signing that was poorly advertised. To my benefit! The picture is of my son with him, but there I was.

Before I got off on this rant, I was going to find a picture of Buzz's partner stepping off the lander. I remember exactly where I was on July 20, 1969. Glued to the TV in my family's living room. I was just over 10. Here's the picture:
( Last edited by ghporter; Feb 28, 2005 at 08:16 PM. )

Deimos
Feb 28, 2005, 07:44 PM

Originally posted by ghporter:
You betcha! For real, or a movie marathon? No, wait a minute. Isn't he dead now? (Too many icons passing, and damn it, I didn't get to meet enough of them.)

I'm looking for the picture; I really did meet Buzz Aldrin. He was there for a book signing that was poorly advertised. To my benefit! The picture is of my son with him, but there I was.

Before I got off on this rant, I was going to find a picture of Buzz's partner stepping off the lander. I remember exactly where I was on July 20, 1969. Glued to the TV in my family's living room. I was just over 10.
Yeah, it was me, my brother and a friend, all out for dinner with old Ray. First time I've met him (my brother knows him from working in films). Really, really nice guy too.

Now Buzz, that would be something. What do you ask a person who has been into space?

You're pretty fortunate to meet him in person, I'd love to.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 28, 2005, 08:18 PM

Yeah, it was me, my brother and a friend, all out for dinner with old Ray. First time I've met him (my brother knows him from working in films). Really, really nice guy too.

Now Buzz, that would be something. What do you ask a person who has been into space?

You're pretty fortunate to meet him in person, I'd love to.
I think meeting Ray would be cool too. We asked Buzz some interesting questions like "Why aren't there more people here?" and "What's the rest of your tour schedule like?" He was great. My son was something like 10 or 12 then, so he was just awestruck. So was I, but I had learned to hide that sort of thing better.

Deimos
Feb 28, 2005, 08:24 PM

I think meeting Ray would be cool too. We asked Buzz some interesting questions like "Why aren't there more people here?" and "What's the rest of your tour schedule like?" He was great. My son was something like 10 or 12 then, so he was just awestruck. So was I, but I had learned to hide that sort of thing better.
lol, I'm the same. I was so close to shouting out to Harryhausen how I grew up watching his creations on screen. I'm sure he's been told that a bajillion times.

On a sidenote. You don't happen to work for Newtek in San Antonio? I'm so sure I met someone a whie back who did, and had the same name as yours.

Might be a coincidence or a foggy memory.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 28, 2005, 08:37 PM

Nope. Don't even recall hearing much about Newtek. I've been managing communications infrastructure, but for the Air Force, not a private company. Just retired in January, too. I should do a post of that, too. Where was I...retiring after 23 years...

That's me on the right, almost six months ago.

Xeo
Moderator Emeritus
Feb 28, 2005, 08:43 PM

Just retired in January, too.
Cool, what are you doing now?

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 28, 2005, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by Xeo:
Cool, what are you doing now?
I just finished (today!) getting everything set up so I can go back to school. I have some background and prerequisite courses to take, and then I'm trying to get into an Occupational Therapist course at the UT Health Science Center. Yes, it's a big change from communications-electronics, but that's just what I want.

brapper
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 09:59 PM

Nope. Don't even recall hearing much about Newtek. I've been managing communications infrastructure, but for the Air Force, not a private company. Just retired in January, too. I should do a post of that, too. Where was I...retiring after 23 years...

two non-tooki compliant pics in one thread!
the admin vs. the mod...

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
Feb 28, 2005, 10:07 PM

Originally posted by brapper:
two non-tooki compliant pics in one thread!
the admin vs. the mod...
The thread title has ".jpg" in it.

ghporter
Administrator
Feb 28, 2005, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by E's Lil Theorem:
Thanks, E. Yup. I checked before I threw that picture in. It's a tiny file, but it's scaled for easy viewing. But this is a ".jpg" thread, so it's supposed to be kosher. And by the way, quoting the whole post doubled the amount of space that my one picture took.

brapper
Professional Poster
Feb 28, 2005, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by E's Lil Theorem:
...indeed.

my. bad.

Deimos
Mar 1, 2005, 08:40 AM

Ah, so many names and people out there, that they all get mixed together.

Very impressive picture.

AppleOptionFour
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 1, 2005, 10:55 AM

Object

Where were you?

October 2002: At the University of Texas, starting my new job as "Student Systems Analyst." I had not used a Mac since OS7ish and owned a Dell at the time.

Reaction

WTF?

I've never looked back

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 1, 2005, 11:56 AM

Ah, so many names and people out there, that they all get mixed together.

Very impressive picture.
Thanks. They really went all out for me. It was a great send off.

grayware
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 1, 2005, 12:32 PM

I was 18 years old, listening to Nocturnal Emissions on WBCN in bed around 11PM when the news came in. I was shocked and I couldn't get it off my mind for days, what a loss. It still sucks. What else would he have given us y'know?

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Mar 1, 2005, 02:23 PM

Ha ha, I was there too

Forum Links
Forum Rules