Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > MacBook Pro vs MacBook

MacBook Pro vs MacBook
zeebe
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006, 02:19 PM

OK, I am thinking about getting a laptop, I have a G4 1GHz iMac and would like to have a portable to have upstairs. With the new MacBooks out, what do you guys think I should get? I will be getting an airport base with either one. I would like to use this laptop for my home video editing and also to play newer games on (Doom 3, Quake 4, COD 2 etc.).

Here are the configs I would get for each (I am a teacher so I get a discount if you are wondering about price):

MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo - Black $1,669.00
1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512 065-6233
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English 065-6464
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo 065-6466
Accessory Kit 065-6313
120GB Serial ATA drive 065-6229
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW) 065-6231

MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo $2,069.00
MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display 065-6521
1GB 667 DDR2 - 2x512 SO-DIMMs 065-6100
Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English 065-6553
SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW) 065-6096
2.0GHz Intel Core Duo 065-6551
AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth 065-6102
100GB Serial ATA drive @ 7200 rpm 065-6106

So which do I get?

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

jamil5454
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 02:25 PM

Since you mentioned games, the MacBook is out of the question. Get the MacBook Pro... the larger screen will be a blessing with video work.

Enigmaaron
Forum Regular
May 17, 2006, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by jamil5454
Since you mentioned games, the MacBook is out of the question. Get the MacBook Pro... the larger screen will be a blessing with video work.
Second that. Even though you could potentially play the games on the MacBook you will be infinitely happier playing them on the MacBook Pro with its dedicated video card.

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006, 02:30 PM

Still gonna wait for a few more responses before I decide, but I also forgot to ask if the RAM I choose was a good way to go, or should I get the stock 512MB and buy a 1GB for the open slot? Anyone know what price is for a 1GB RAM chip for the MacBook & MacBook Pro?

Support a charity as you search the Internet - Use GoodSearch - I support Sacred Heart School.

Kermy
May 17, 2006, 03:17 PM

Get the MB Pro if you want to play games.
Powerbook G4 12" Combo

ginoledesma
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 03:24 PM

Based on the above configurations, you seem to be more inclined towards performance (since you opted for the faster 100GB 7200-rpm drive on the MBP 15"). Also, you didn't mention how important mobility was, so I think you're better off with the MacBook Pro. The larger screen and beefier specifications will be a much better match.

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by ginoledesma
Based on the above configurations, you seem to be more inclined towards performance (since you opted for the faster 100GB 7200-rpm drive on the MBP 15"). Also, you didn't mention how important mobility was, so I think you're better off with the MacBook Pro. The larger screen and beefier specifications will be a much better match.
I was going to ask about the drive too, will the 7200-rpm drive give me that big of a performance boost? And how much will it eat into battery life? Should I get a second battery?

I will not be using this much outside of the house, so it can be plugged in most of the time, but I will want to use it unplugged too, when my 8 month old is awake and I want him away from the cord.

Thanks for all of the responses so far, I think I am going to go for the Pro, but would still like to hear other comments. Also, I have comcast as an IP, do I need to aiport base or can I use another wireless one?
Thanks

Zeeb
Mac Elite
May 17, 2006, 04:44 PM

Another vote for the pro model here. I use the rev A 2.0 Ghz model with the 256mb video card and it plays the newest games very well I've found.

By the way, didn't realize there was another poster with a similar name to the one I selected when I registered! Do you pronounce the "e"

jhonizzle
Forum Regular
May 17, 2006, 05:44 PM

Get at MacBook Pro, you will need the x1600 in order to play the games well, because the MacBook only has intigrated Graphics....and i would get 1GB 1x1GB, instead of doing dual 512. because you can upgrade to 2gigs

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb
Another vote for the pro model here. I use the rev A 2.0 Ghz model with the 256mb video card and it plays the newest games very well I've found.

By the way, didn't realize there was another poster with a similar name to the one I selected when I registered! Do you pronounce the "e"
No I don't, so it is sounds ZEEEB, my friends gave me the nickname in Jr. High, and it has stuck since. They even gave me the spelling, not sure why the extra e is there, my friend who first wrote it was REALLY good at english and pronunciation of words and stuff, so maybe that is what gives it the EEE sound (is that a long e?). Kinda funny, I saw your name one time too, and thought it was interesting!

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by jhonizzle
Get at MacBook Pro, you will need the x1600 in order to play the games well, because the MacBook only has intigrated Graphics....and i would get 1GB 1x1GB, instead of doing dual 512. because you can upgrade to 2gigs
That is right, I forgot, I made them up after the MacBook and I thought you couldn't (because you can't on a MacBook). Thanks for the advice on the RAM, will do it that way. Adds $90, not bad!

photoeditor
Forum Regular
May 17, 2006, 06:07 PM

With the games issue in mind I would also endorse a Macbook Pro. The 2GHz/128MB VRAM combination should be more than sufficient. With older games, there won't be much difference between this and the Macbook, but with newer games, there is an enormous difference because the Macbook's GMA950 chip is missing things like vertex shaders. Check out barefeats or something like that; you'll see little meaningful difference for movie editing or Quake 3, but for some of the current games like Doom, the game is likely to be completely unplayable on the Macbook based on results from the largely similar MacMini CoreDuo.

From what I've seen the 128MB VRAM chip runs about the same speed as the 256MB one -- the only reason for the larger chip is for dealing with very hefty 2d stuff, like the 30 inch Cinema Display with a lot of open windows. The clock speed on the X1600 Mobility effectively makes good use of 128 in 3D but is not fast enough to make use of 256 in 3d.

I am looking at a MacBook as I just don't do any gaming.

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006, 06:09 PM

Games = Pro

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 17, 2006, 09:18 PM

I wouldn't even bother trying to play Doom 3, Quake 4 and COD2 on the MacBook's Intel integrated graphics w/ shared RAM. Theoretically, they will run. But in reality they will be unplayable.

For me, it was the Pro's ability to drive a 30" display that steered me away from the smaller MacBook. I'll be using my machine about 50% of the time as a mobile, 50% docked to my 30" display at home.

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 17, 2006, 09:27 PM

OK, sounds like I know what I am getting! Thanks everyone for your input! I will post a picture of my new baby when I get it, not going to order it for a little bit yet though!
Thanks again!

cgc
Professional Poster
May 17, 2006, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by ginoledesma
7200RPM hard drives don't mean faster data transfer speeds.

Mac Elite
May 19, 2006, 07:09 PM

we need a BlackBook Pro

khufuu
May 19, 2006, 11:43 PM

Buy and MacBook and with the money you save, get a true gaming system instead. (eg: PS3 or Xbox)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 19, 2006, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by WOPR
Games = Pro
Funny, isn't it?

One other option is to get both a low-end MacBook and a 17" iMac. It wouldn't be that much more expensive than just getting the MacBook Pro, and you can play games on the iMac just fine. Plus you get a desktop and a portable system (depending on how you use them, this can be a plus or a minus).

amazing
Professional Poster
May 20, 2006, 11:57 AM

Seems to me the target audience for the MB would be heavily into the latest games. Check out Peter Cohen's gaming viewpoint of the MB:

"Already some games are being released that implicitly exclude the Mac mini, and by extension, the MacBook, from their supported system requirements. Aspyr Media announced earlier Friday that Call of Duty 2 will ship soon—that’s one such game. Aspyr’s recently-released Quake 4 is another."

http://www.macworld.com/weblogs/game...ames/index.php

The gaming audience isn't going to buy an MBP, just too much more money...meaning more sales of gaming boxes. Xbox, anybody?

solero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2006, 05:18 PM

I would change the screen on the MBP and select the one that isn't glossy. But that's just my subjective view - For more information check this thread: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=295608

and do the Ram thing that <Jhonizzle> suggests
( Last edited by solero; May 20, 2006 at 05:25 PM. )

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
May 20, 2006, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by solero
I would change the screen on the MBP and select the one that isn't glossy.
By default the MBP comes with a non glossy screen
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

WOPR
Grizzled Veteran
May 20, 2006, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Icruise
Funny, isn't it?
Huh?

 iMac Core 2 Duo 17" 2ghz 3gb/250gb ||  iBook G4 12" 1.33ghz 1gb/40gb

solero
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 20, 2006, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
By default the MBP comes with a non glossy screen
I know, but the config Zeebe asked us to judge (see first post in this thread) was one with a glossy display

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 20, 2006, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by WOPR
Huh?
Isn't it a little odd that you have to buy a "pro" portable in order to actually play any games?

drewcifer
Forum Regular
May 20, 2006, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by zeebe
Anyone know what price is for a 1GB RAM chip for the MacBook & MacBook Pro?
I'm wondering this also. Is crucial still the place to go??
Macbook Pro 15" (fully spec'd out)

...waiting for 6g ipods.

Bryanmc
Forum Regular
May 20, 2006, 11:57 PM

I got a 1GB stick of Patriot from NewEgg for $90 shipped.

Works great.

zeebe  (op)
Grizzled Veteran
May 21, 2006, 12:36 AM

what kind did you get bryanmc?

Bryanmc
Forum Regular
May 21, 2006, 01:59 AM

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2006, 03:44 AM

According to one of the reviewers, that doesn't run at full speed in Macs...

workerbee
Mac Elite
May 21, 2006, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Moderator
we need a BlackBook Pro
ˆ + 1
(with Merom, FW800 or external SATA and full-speed GPU while you're at it, please, Apple)
MBP 15" 2.33GHz C2D 3GB 2*23" ACD

azt33
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2006, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by workerbee
ˆ + 1
(with Merom, FW800 or external SATA and full-speed GPU while you're at it, please, Apple)
I would buy that in a heartbeat! Just need to dig up the CC of my parents then...
MacBook Pro 15.4/ i7 2.2 / 8.0/ 750/ DL SD/ APX
iPhone 4 16GB (black)

NateEssex
Dedicated MacNNer
May 21, 2006, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Moderator
we need a BlackBook Pro
Ditto. And something under 15" would be a nice bonus.

I wonder how many PB 12" users are in limbo as to if/when they, or we rather, will try to reconcile what Intel laptop to purchase next. Perhaps if there is a great demand for a suped-up Blacbook with a real video card, Steve will give in to the need?
MBP 15" 2.33 ghz 256Video Card
40 Gig iPod, Airport Extreme

Bryanmc
Forum Regular
May 21, 2006, 03:29 PM

How can I test that?

Just got it, so I can send it back if it's no good.

Bryanmc
Forum Regular
May 21, 2006, 05:59 PM

Just checked and mine shows that it's running at the full 667MHz.

Forum Links
Forum Rules