Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cost of running a sawtooth for 24 hours.

Cost of running a sawtooth for 24 hours.
kick52
Baninated
Jun 24, 2006, 02:37 PM

Hi.

I want to keep my mac on sleep more, and my mum is worried about the cost of my sawtooth running normaly and on sleep. how much does it cost to have my sawtooth running on sleep for an hour?

thanks,
tim

EDIT: I have googled.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 02:50 PM

If I remember correctly, it's cheaper to keep it on all the time [with power mode on [spinning down the HD, etc. etc.] as compared to turning it on/off once a day. Powering up your Mac consumes a good amount of electricity.

kick52  (op)
Baninated
Jun 24, 2006, 03:09 PM

oh right.
by "with power mode on" do you mean sleep?

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by kick52
oh right.
by "with power mode on" do you mean sleep?
Yes... you can set it to sleep in different ways.

kick52  (op)
Baninated
Jun 24, 2006, 03:22 PM

is deep sleep (eg, no HD, no fan, no sound, no processing) the best at power saving?

Uriel
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2006, 03:30 PM

yes

kick52  (op)
Baninated
Jun 24, 2006, 03:34 PM

i suppose i'll need to find the spec sheet to work out how much it actually costs.

but would having my sawtooth on most of the time actually make a really big dent in the energy bill?

willed
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2006, 03:57 PM

Bear in mind that an iBook or PowerBook can stay in sleep mode for ages without being recharged (i.e. probably about a week? I've never tried more than a couple of days). On sleep, Macs use almost no power.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 04:24 PM

My PowerMac G5 uses 2-3 watts when asleep. That's less than a small night light. That isn't much at all - I wouldn't worry about it.

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2006, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by alligator
My PowerMac G5 uses 2-3 watts when asleep. That's less than a small night light. That isn't much at all - I wouldn't worry about it.
At 2-3 wats... it would be something like 4¢ for 24 hours.

Just give your mother $5 and say... "there... I'm paid up for the year"

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2006, 05:53 AM

Don't forget your Mac still draws power when turned off. I'm not sure how much a Sawtooth draws, but I found this graph on Apple's site about laptop power adapters.

King Bob On The Cob
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2006, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by willed
Bear in mind that an iBook or PowerBook can stay in sleep mode for ages without being recharged (i.e. probably about a week? I've never tried more than a couple of days). On sleep, Macs use almost no power.
Macs picked up the "Hibernate" feature from windows for the time being. So if you have a new model Mac, and it totally runs out of power, no sweat, just let it boot back up, and it'll be just like nothing happened.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2006, 07:11 AM

Earlier, someone asked how long a powerbook can go in sleep without croaking; my 12" was known to go ~3wks in sleep in my desk drawer.

If you're doing that, make sure the latch can't be tripped... because it'll wake up the unit.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

thestig
Banned
Jun 25, 2006, 08:44 AM

If you had a multimeter you could find out exactly.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2006, 09:10 AM

Power-saving features on computers are really for offices who run huge numbers of machines or if your machine has a battery. Your house's power bill is something like 75% climate control and 15% large appliances (oven, stove, dryer, etc). Everything else is pocket change in comparison.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 25, 2006, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by production_coordinator
If I remember correctly, it's cheaper to keep it on all the time [with power mode on [spinning down the HD, etc. etc.] as compared to turning it on/off once a day. Powering up your Mac consumes a good amount of electricity.
That is false.

Everyone says that for some reason. It's become something of an urban legend.

SirCastor
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2006, 09:25 AM

I think it comes from the old ' turning your car on consumes more gas than letting it idle for 5 minutes" thing...
2008 iMac 3.06 Ghz, 2GB Memory, GeForce 8800, 500GB HD, SuperDrive
8gb iPhone on Tmobile

Scifience
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2006, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by UNTeMac
Power-saving features on computers are really for offices who run huge numbers of machines or if your machine has a battery. Your house's power bill is something like 75% climate control and 15% large appliances (oven, stove, dryer, etc). Everything else is pocket change in comparison.
Not at my house.

My electric bill is $220 a month. Before I started running four 24-port GigE switches, a T1 router, four servers, two laser printers, and six workstations 24/7, that bill was $40 a month. I wouldn't exactly call that increase "pocket change."

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2006, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Scifience
Not at my house.

My electric bill is $220 a month. Before I started running four 24-port GigE switches, a T1 router, four servers, two laser printers, and six workstations 24/7, that bill was $40 a month. I wouldn't exactly call that increase "pocket change."
I'm going to go ahead and say you're the exception to the rule.

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2006, 01:41 PM

Not at my house.

Out of curiosity, why are you running a 96-port switch stack for 11 networked devices?
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

kupan787
Senior User
Jun 25, 2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by DeathToWindows
Earlier, someone asked how long a powerbook can go in sleep without croaking; my 12" was known to go ~3wks in sleep in my desk drawer.

If you're doing that, make sure the latch can't be tripped... because it'll wake up the unit.
No way. My powerbook 12" hardly lasts a week in sleep mode before having nothing left. My old PowerBook G3, in OS 9, could go weeks at a time though. I mean, just leaving my powerbook asleep over night I lose about 10% of the battery life, and that is for just like 8 hours.

kick52  (op)
Baninated
Jun 25, 2006, 02:19 PM

thanks alot guys! now im gonna start an uptime thread and see if i can get a week uptime.

Scifience
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2006, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Oneota
Out of curiosity, why are you running a 96-port switch stack for 11 networked devices?
Because I needed managed switches to do what I needed to do, and the ones with fewer ports were not managable.

Also, I was, at the time, toying around with the idea of setting up a neighborhood network with a T3. Instead of going wireless, we would have been running conduit through yards with fiber. Never materialized, unfortunately.

I also got a good deal: $1000 for the four of them.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2006, 07:11 PM

I left a Windows laptop in "standby" mode once overnight and it completely drained the battery. I'm happy with my Macs.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2006, 02:43 PM

I have had a PowerBook G4 15 inch asleep for almost 3 weeks and the battery showed about 1 hour left.

UNTeMac
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2006, 02:48 PM

Not at my house.

Which is why I said:
Power-saving features on computers are really for offices who run huge numbers of machines
10 computers and two printers plus network equipment would certainly qualify you as a company-level power drain. People who have one or two computers only draw about 3-5% of their power bill. Hell, my apartment bill in the summer runs near 200 just because of the air conditioning.
"This show is filmed before a live studio audience as soon as someone removes that dead guy!" - Stephen Colbert

production_coordinator
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2006, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Eug Wanker
That is false.

Everyone says that for some reason. It's become something of an urban legend.
Hmmm... actually, this could be debated.

The question would be, how much more energy does a full reboot take as compared to "waking" from a deep sleep.

A G5 consumes under 2W when in full sleep mode. I'm wondering how many watts the reboot diagnostic takes up?

You very well may be correct... there seem to be few sites that explain exactly how they put their computers to sleep.

Eug Wanker
Posting Junkie
Location: Dangling something in the water… of the Arabian Sea
Jun 27, 2006, 04:51 PM

I was talking about reboot vs. leaving the computer on all day, even with spun down HDs and such.

Sleep is another story.

Forum Links
Forum Rules