Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Appleinsider reports higher-than-expected TDP for Merom

Appleinsider reports higher-than-expected TDP for Merom
brokenjago
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2006, 09:48 PM

According to AppleInsider:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider
Specifications released by Intel this week to system designers reveal that the chips, formerly code-named Merom, each have a thermal design point (TDP) of 34 watts -- about 3 watts more than the top of the line 2.33GHz Core Duo (Yonah).

In battery mode, Merom processors clock down to 1GHz, yet still carry a TDP of 20 watts, according to DailyTech. On the other hand, a Yonah chip in the same mode has a TDP of 13.1 watts while also at 1GHz.
What does this mean for the MBP? An increase in battery capacity or a decrease in battery life? This whole time we were saying that it's 20-30% more powerful for the same amount of power. Now that that doesn't seem to be the case, is it really worth it?
Linkinus is king.

milhous
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2006, 10:06 PM

From Wikipedia:

The Thermal Design Power (TDP) (sometimes called Thermal Design Point) represents the maximum amount of power the thermal solution in a computer system is required to dissipate. For example, a laptop's CPU cooling solution may be designed for a 20 W TDP, which means that it can dissipate (either via an active cooling method such as a fan, a passive cooling method via natural convection, via heat radiation or all three modes of heat transfer) the heat generated by 20 watts without exceeding the maximum junction temperature for the part. The TDP is typically set not to be the most power the chip could ever draw (such as by a power virus), but rather the maximum power that it would draw when running real applications. This ensures the system will be able to handle all applications without exceeding its thermal envelope, without requiring a cooling solution work for the max theoretical power, which would cost more and achieve no real benefit.

TDP can be defined in different ways by different manufacturers. See the SilentPCReview article below.

from that, we can conclude that either the next mb(p) will have to dissipate more heat, or the laptop will generally run hotter than they are now.

again, if those specs are accurate and requires more power, then apple could just include a higher capacity battery.

so is 20-30% worth it? you bet it is.
F = ma

brokenjago  (op)
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2006, 12:15 AM

Considering that one of the great benefits of a 64 bit chip is that you can access more than 4 GB of RAM, and the max you can put in a MBP is 2 (4GB according to some reports,) then I'm not exactly sure it is worth it. In all the benchmarks I've seen, real-world performance increases amount to, at the high end, 12%. 12% for a 7 W increase when idle and 3 while being taxes? I don't know if that's worth the decrease in battery life. Or the additional heat when the MBP is already regarded as a damn hot laptop.
Linkinus is king.

Simon
Posting Junkie
Aug 18, 2006, 03:16 AM

There's another (older) thread on this.

http://forums.macnn.com/69/powerbook...al-specs-fail/

n8236
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 18, 2006, 05:50 AM

If i'm understanding this right, while the TDP on the new chips may be higher, their speedstepping techniques are far better which adjusts much better than the current ones thus still providing better battery life under regular use. So it seems only when under full 100% load do would the battery drain faster.

I have no idea what i'm talking about and probably wrong lol.

Forum Links
Forum Rules