Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > X11 and OpenOffice ? Is X11 installed?

X11 and OpenOffice ? Is X11 installed?
buzlink
Dec 18, 2006, 12:26 AM

I'm looking to run OpenOffice on my system. I keep getting an error msg that X11 is not installed on my system. I was under the impression that X11 comes with OS X Tiger?
If so how do I go about getting OpenOffice to run?

Thanks

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2006, 12:32 AM

You need to install it from the Tiger disk. If you want Openoffice without X11, just get NeoOffice. It works great and no need for any seperate apps to install!
My Blog-pakos.me

buzlink  (op)
Dec 18, 2006, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by larrinski View Post
You need to install it from the Tiger disk. If you want Openoffice without X11, just get NeoOffice. It works great and no need for any seperate apps to install!
How do I go about installing from Tiger disk?

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2006, 07:22 AM

Insert the Tiger disk, find the X11.pkg file, and open it.

But unless there's a specific reason you want to run OpenOffice.org in X11, you're better off going with NeoOffice, which is simply OO.o without the dependency on X11 (and with some additional niceties).

khufuu
Dec 18, 2006, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by wataru View Post
Insert the Tiger disk, find the X11.pkg file, and open it.

But unless there's a specific reason you want to run OpenOffice.org in X11, you're better off going with NeoOffice, which is simply OO.o without the dependency on X11 (and with some additional niceties).
Agreed. NeoOffice works very well.

larrinski
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 19, 2006, 12:51 AM

Just to clarify, Neooffice IS OpenOffice...It will work better on your machine in my opinion.
My Blog-pakos.me

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 01:05 AM

Although OpenOffice will probably run faster and will inherit updates from the main OOo trunk quicker, most likely... Just depends on what is more important to you, I guess...

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 01:06 AM

There is a lot of hype about Open Office as an MS Office alternative, but have any of you guys checked out Abiword?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 01:12 AM

( Last edited by Demonhood; Dec 20, 2006 at 12:03 AM. Reason: huge image)

khufuu
Dec 19, 2006, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by larrinski View Post
Just to clarify, Neooffice IS OpenOffice...It will work better on your machine in my opinion.
Except that one (OpenOffice) means that you also have to run X11 on top of OS10 in order to run it. NeoOffice doesn't not require the extra layer. One less layer is a good thing.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by khufuu View Post
Except that one (OpenOffice) means that you also have to run X11 on top of OS10 in order to run it. NeoOffice doesn't not require the extra layer. One less layer is a good thing.
Although you can say that NeoOffice requiring Java also adds a layer.

Warhaven
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2006, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Yup. NeoOffice is OpenOffice with the interface reworked to use Java API instead of X11/Windows API. If you're on a current Mac, it'll run just fine, but it's rather sluggish even on my 1.5 GHz PowerBook.

However, if you're a student/teacher, you can get Office 2004 for $149.00. There is also a promotion going on until January 16th for an additional $15.00 off at Microsoft. The promotion also includes $100 off the normal version, which would drop it down to $299.00.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 04:46 PM

With products like Gnumeric and Abiword (and OpenOffice) out there, I'm having a hard time recommending MS Office to anybody who just needs some basic document editing abilities. I just find it absurd that people are willing to pay $150 for a freaking word processor.

Warhaven
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 19, 2006, 04:48 PM

With products like Gnumeric and Abiword (and OpenOffice) out there, I'm having a hard time recommending MS Office to anybody who just needs some basic document editing abilities. I just find it absurd that people are willing to pay $150 for a freaking word processor.
Word processor, spreadsheet, and slide show app; and if you just want basic document editing, OS X comes with TextEdit, pico, and vi.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Warhaven View Post
Word processor, spreadsheet, and slide show app; and if you just want basic document editing, OS X comes with TextEdit, pico, and vi.

What is your sense as to what percentage of people use all 3 office apps?

khufuu
Dec 19, 2006, 10:05 PM

True. However, Java is pre-loaded and requires no knowledge to work with. X11 actually requires that you know much more than an average user would. For this reason alone, I recommend NeoOffice.

It seems to me like having X11 on OSX is like screwing around with drivers on a Windows system. It's fine if you know what you're doing but extreemely counter-productive if you're just a 'user'.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Dec 19, 2006, 10:09 PM

I agree, NeoOffice would be my recommendation for most people. I'm just saying there are some, albeit minor advantages to running OOo for certain people...

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Dec 19, 2006, 10:16 PM

I'd be inclined to switch to NeoOffice, but I use the MathType plugin for MS Word too often and can't get it to work with NeoOffice (but that's for another forum)

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 19, 2006, 11:23 PM

NeoOffice has its own equation editor.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Dec 20, 2006, 12:10 AM

I've tried using it, and didn't like it. I'm a "point and click" thinker, preferring to have a WYSIWYG layout in front of me rather than having to encode the equation like a line of program code.

Forum Links
Forum Rules