Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Flicker on Macbook?

Flicker on Macbook?
mgl
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 31, 2006, 03:58 PM

My screen on my MacBook 1.8 is starting to flicker a bit. I had this exact same problem on an iBook G4 and it had to go in for repairs. I've had my MacBook since they started shipping. Anybody else experiencing this problem?

markybigred
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 31, 2006, 04:06 PM

Hhhmmm ... I have not heard of any flicker problems. Others might have though ... My first guess here would be that it's something wrong with the power you are supplying to your MacBook since you had the same problem with your iBook (assuming you used both in the same location).

I would call your power company have have them come out with the Power Quality (PQ) meter.

BlackBook 2GB, 120GB | iPod Photo 60GB

Gossamer
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2006, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by markybigred
Hhhmmm ... I have not heard of any flicker problems. Others might have though ... My first guess here would be that it's something wrong with the power you are supplying to your MacBook since you had the same problem with your iBook (assuming you used both in the same location).

I would call your power company have have them come out with the Power Quality (PQ) meter.
I wouldn't think that would be an issue, since it goes through the power adaptor and PMU in the MacBook. Are you doing anything specific like moving it around, adjusting the monitor, graphic intensive tasks, or is it completely random?

mgl  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 2, 2006, 10:53 AM

The probem happens even when my MacBoo is not connected to AC so it has nothing to do with the power source.

It is different from the similar problem I had with my iBook. Then it flickered between 2 brightness levels. From bright to dimmer and back again, unfortunately often sticking on dim for extended periods of time and iBooks weren't bright to start with. With this one, it's nice and bright but then flashes brighter on the right side of the screen only.

I guess I'll have to take it in for repairs.

simbajunk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 15, 2006, 04:26 PM

Am also experiencing this problem with a Macbook 1.8 - purchased early July 06.

Screen flickers regularly, especially just as screen dims; otherwise seems to be random. Does not seem to be affected by power or battery status.

Don't have an opportunity to have an Apple tech check this out (live in a remote area) so would appreciate hearing if this can be fixed and how much trouble it is to do so!

-was-
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2007, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by mgl View Post
My screen on my MacBook 1.8 is starting to flicker a bit. I had this exact same problem on an iBook G4 and it had to go in for repairs. I've had my MacBook since they started shipping. Anybody else experiencing this problem?
Hi. I have the same problem - I bought my macbook at a similar time (july 2006) and in the past month it's started to flicker. The screen randomly dims almost as though it was a lightbulb about to burst.

I actually also have another problem - my case is starting to crack at the corner. It's a black macbook and I've kept it in great condition. I haven't done anything silly like drop the computer it's just starting to crack. Has anyone else encountered this?

zenwhen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2007, 07:09 AM

You all need to send your machines back to Apple and DEMAND that they replace the inverter board. My wife had the same issue and had to send hers back twice because they didn't replace the inverter board the first time.

kick52
Baninated
May 9, 2007, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by mgl View Post
i had this problem on my ibook when i pressed down on the back of the screen. i fixed it myself by putting a layer of masking tape where the cable goes into the screen to protect it.

Macola
Mac Elite
May 9, 2007, 09:31 AM

Do a search...there are lots of people with this problem. Apple will fix it.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

bradbissell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2007, 10:06 AM

The flicker is caused by a bad inverter board. Call Apple and have them fix it under warranty.
Macbook C2D 2.0 Ghz w/ 2GB Ram, 5G 30GB iPod

Simon
Posting Junkie
May 9, 2007, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by zenwhen View Post
You all need to send your machines back to Apple and DEMAND that they replace the inverter board. My wife had the same issue and had to send hers back twice because they didn't replace the inverter board the first time.
I experienced exactly the same thing. Although I told the AASP that it was the DC inverter board he felt it was a better idea to exchange the whole screen and case. The flicker of course came back and it had to go in for a second repair. This time he swapped the inverter board and now everything is fine.

RayK
Forum Regular
May 9, 2007, 01:59 PM

I had mine repaired twice for the same issue. New issues popped up after the first repair and neither repaired fixed the flicker so Apple replaced the computer. Good luck getting it fixed!
Macbook Pro 2.33 C2D Stock
3G iPod 40GB
3.4 Ghz P IV, 2GB RAM, X800 XT AIW, XP Pro, Dell 2405FPW

-was-
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 9, 2007, 10:13 PM

thanks everyone... i'll get apple to fix the machine...

utw-Mephisto
Dedicated MacNNer
May 14, 2007, 11:20 AM

I have the same problem now on my black Macbook - although it seems to be ok once the screen "warmed" up a bit ..

And of course my MacBook is out of the warranty just now ...
chmod a+x /bin/laden -- Allows anyone the permission to execute /bin/laden

Forum Links
Forum Rules