Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > Delicious Library 2? [SPECULATION]

Delicious Library 2? [SPECULATION] (Page 2)
bombcar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2006, 11:42 PM

I think it would be cool to have support for spines and back covers, if possible.

Maybe even have a Amazon or other webservice where the spines & back covers could be uploaded. I think spines would be covered by fair use, not sure about back covers.

And we need a DL screen saver of some sort.

The ability to login to Amazon as a user and download the order history into DL (perhaps even being smart enough to ignore gifts).

A feature that gives DL 2.0 free to the people who bought DL the day it was released. Like me.

The Logo should not have a Symbol barcode scanner, it should have DL's!

A download should be made available that would convert the DL bluetooth scanner to a generic Symbol like scanner for Mac/Windows, because then I could get my company to pay for them and borrow them on the weekends. (Actually, a bluetooth scanner that could remember hundreds of scanned barcodes and then "programatically" play them back such as 1 TAB barcode TAB ENTER 1 TAB barcode TAB ENTER etc.... would be worth buying even without DL).

Easier direct importing of Amazon.com wish lists.

More kittens; everything is better with more kittens.
( Last edited by bombcar; Jul 19, 2006 at 12:03 AM. )

bombcar
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 18, 2006, 11:57 PM

Ooo! Add a "Backup" menu item or button that would automagically create a compressed (and maybe even encrypted) disk image and save it somewhere! Easy and better than mucking around in ~/Library and simple enough for people who don't have .mac.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 19, 2006, 02:23 AM

I'll add kittens as a feature request, although we had kittens once and it got reported as a bug.

zerografix
Jul 19, 2006, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Delicious Monster
I'll add kittens as a feature request, although we had kittens once and it got reported as a bug.
Ya know Kittens are Delicious

Sinemacula
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2006, 01:23 PM

How about support for cataloguing ebooks, with an integrated ebook reader?
MacBook Pro 2.4GHz; 4GB RAM; 23" Cinema Display
iPhone
Mac OS X 10.5.4

Tesseract_
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2006, 07:23 AM

Apart from the many good ideas already mentioned, the features I would like to see in DL are as follows.

1. An easy way of specifying and rearranging the physical locations of items. I have 17 bookcases comprising probably around 75 shelves in total, and I'd estimate around 3000 books (I haven't entered them all into DL yet). You can set the "location in building" field for an item, but that requires that you invent some kind of consistent naming scheme, e.g. "Hall Corner, 2nd from top shelf". Unless you set this field as you import (or put books into "shelves" as you go), it's difficult to find all the books on a particular shelf to specify their location.

I would like to see nested grouping, with maybe 3 layers (room, bookcase, shelf), though 2 would probably do the job. Books could be moved between shelves (or larger groupings) by drag-and-drop.

At the moment I have a DL "shelf" for each bookcase. While this is better than nothing, it's clearly not designed as a means of recording physical location -- you have to set the location in building separately from placing an item in a "shelf". Knowing exactly which physical shelf an item is on would make it much easier to find when there are several hundred items in a bookcase.

I think that recording the actual order of items on a particular shelf would be overkill, but hey, maybe some people would want to do that.

2. Smarter sorting. Customisable sort keys and comparison functions would go a long way, but some built-in cleverness would be good too. For example, when I sort by current value, a book which was only listed on Amazon Japan and which is worth 1500 Yen is sorted as being more valuable than a book which is worth 100 pounds sterling. Maybe you could grab exchange rate data from the same source as the currency converter widget?

Others have already mentioned the Artist/Group name sorting difficulties.

I'm glad to hear performance will improve, as that is definitely needed, and not only on the back end. I tried DL 1.6.2 on a 700 MHz G4 with 512 MB of RAM (running Tiger), and it was painfully slow even with a small collection.

Edit: I thought of something else regarding keeping track of physical locations. It would be nice to be able to tell DL to set the location of all new items to a particular value until further notice. (In fact, it would be nice to be able to do that with any field.)

Edit 2: The pound symbol gets killed by the forum??
( Last edited by Tesseract_; Jul 25, 2006 at 06:41 AM. )

Macint_sh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2006, 11:03 PM

It would be nice if there was another "collection" for TV shows on DVD as this does not clarify as a movie and personally I hate the two being mixed because it sends a false record of how many movies I have.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jul 24, 2006, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Macint_sh
It would be nice if there was another "collection" for TV shows on DVD as this does not clarify as a movie and personally I hate the two being mixed because it sends a false record of how many movies I have.
Seconded

[ fb ] [ flickr ] [] [scl] [ last ] [ plaxo ]

pellenys
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 24, 2006, 10:36 AM

I would vote for more sources of information, if possible. I've started using DL to catalogue quite a few old books (1600s onward) for which surprisingly there's some basic info on Amazon.

A winning feature of DL for me is seeing obscure and crumbling books recognised - a virtue of Amazon's data and DL's search I guess - but also seeing information I can't get from the book such as publication date...something Amazon doesn't always have. If other sources such as the British Library had more info to give, that really would be amazing to see.

stainboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2006, 09:30 AM

You know, I've been spending all this time implementing a feature whereby Delicious Library will whiten your teeth while you sleep, but not a single person has requested it and I'm starting to feel very foolish.
hey, if you want someone to help beta test this feature, let me know. i'm beginning to think that my "Crest Extra Whitening Formula" toothpaste was nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

i was going to request you add blintz making capabilities to the next version of DM, or at least have a plug-in architecture so that blintz making can be added by a third party. but i see you've already got enough to worry about. i do love a good blintz though.

MaxPower
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2006, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by typecase
I'd like to be able to delete a title across bookshelves. For example, if put some of my movies in a collection named 'bedroom', I'd like to be able to delete a title once from both bedroom and my main movie library by holding down the option key or something.
Someone got caught with Anal Cuties of Chinatown III in their main library!

balthazarb
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2006, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by zebrafx
Wil

What I'd dearly love is for Delicious Library to work in with LibraryThing. I love both - DL is desktop based, mac-based and looks great, LT is web based, and great for sharing.

I really like DL's issuing capability - but find its lack of sync-ing ability between my iMac and Powerbook a handicap. I like the fact that I can access LT anywhere I have access to the Net, but of course if I don't (have a net connection) I can't access my data..

I know I'm probably asking for / suggesting the impossible - but if DL could either work with LT or develop the capabilities of LT, that would be great.

Cheers

Jeremy
I'm in agreement here. Some sort of syncing with LibraryThing would be awesome. Any idea of when the beta version will be live?

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2006, 06:29 PM

Ironically we were working on a pastry plug-in architecture that included a great blintz engine written by Alton Brown of FoodTV, but we had to shelf it due to a patent issue.

Also, am I the only one who thinks Anal Cuties of Chinatown III sucked compared to the first two? It's like they weren't even trying.

vandeebgroup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2006, 02:47 PM

Please, please -- support for 7"/45rpm record format so the cover thumbnails show up in the correct size! Right now all my 7"s are as big as LPs on the shelves. Take pity on us indie rock vinyl nerds!

Also, I 2nd the suggestion for backcover art, or space for additional images of any kind. I'm used to manually importing data and artwork for all the rarities in my collection, so even if this capability were limited to manually inserting the additional images it would help me immensely.

Thanks,
Zack

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 24, 2006, 05:30 PM

Lo these many moons ago, a vinyl nerd wrote to us requesting different sizes for records. I responded that the percentage of users who have this problem is so small, it's pretty unlikely we're going to bother supporting this. His counter-argument was so compelling I pretty much added different sized records to Delicious Library 2 right then and there.

stainboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2006, 12:47 AM

care to share that counter-argument? as not a vinyl nerd (though i do appreciate the medium) i would like to hear what compelled you so.

vandeebgroup
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 26, 2006, 01:15 PM

DM: I love you.

stainboy: Don't know what that compelling counter-argument was, but for whatever it's worth here is mine... One of the bands I collect is The Cure, who has many, many releases on 7" from around the world. A few of the high points of my entire record collection are in this category. My 7" collection is worth several thousand dollars, and it is a major part of my overall music collection. It just seems right to see them at a smaller size than the LPs in the interface. Also, it kind of seemed to me that if there is support for audio cassettes, then there should be for 7" records. At least from my perspective, the audio cassette format is much less interesting/compelling from a collecting standpoint than are 7"/45s. Not that there aren't collectable cassettes, just that I don't know of any that are worth $1200 each.

I'm not completely unreasonable... I'd never expect support for my 10-inch records, Betamax cassettes with music videos, CDs in their original 80s cardboard "long boxes," minidiscs, 3" CDs, and all the other weird stuff in my collection. At least until version 3 that is. Ha.

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2006, 03:37 PM

The compelling argument went something like...

I can see why it isn't profitable or worth your time to support vinyl.

Vinyl collectors are a dying breed of enthusiasts who face daily pressure and ridicule for their obsession from coworkers, friends, and the internet at large.

Kind of like Mac users.

Feynman
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2006, 02:32 AM

Lo these many moons ago, a vinyl nerd wrote to us requesting different sizes for records. I responded that the percentage of users who have this problem is so small, it's pretty unlikely we're going to bother supporting this. His counter-argument was so compelling I pretty much added different sized records to Delicious Library 2 right then and there.
Any chance we can see a screenshot of this? Blur everything else out but this. PLEASE!? I have been waiting for a vinyl record collection in Library since 1.0!

Feynman
Forum Regular
Oct 11, 2006, 02:33 AM

I third. This would be much appreciated!

mdotcheung
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 12, 2006, 08:40 PM

Oh oh oh! Just had a crazy idea!
What if you could opt to PLAY the selected TV show or Movie, if you had downloaded it from iTunes?
Quite alot of people are getting into ripping their DVD collection of movies and TV shows into Divx/MP4 format to save physical space. Being able to integrate it into iTunes/QT7 to playback the thing would be just sooooo awesome! Imagine - select Movie, assuming you have provided a link to the file's location on a hard disk, you click play, red curtains pulled aside, the screen fades to black, the show begins! That will trump Front Row for snazzy presentation skills!

Yes, i know that if you bought the stuff from iTunes, then its already there in that application... but from a previous poster's suggestion to have DL tally up the total net worth of your collections, i think it would be useful to add them to DL too.

Crazy pipedream?

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 13, 2006, 03:11 AM

Hmm, screenshots of Delicious Library 2... I don't know. That's a pretty tall order.

You have to sort of imagine Delicious Library 1, except, like, the records are in different sizes.

I'd attempt to render it in ASCII art, but I'd have to dig up my Apple ][...

Nah seriously though I'll ask Wil when he thinks we'll leak some screenshots.

Of course, the last time I asked him a question like this, he made me punch myself in the face.

As for launching your stuff in Delicious Library, check out the URL field in My Info.

cbarra
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2006, 02:46 PM

I guess this has been said before, but I'd love to see a few things for DL 2 that would make it more "social" :
- Share one library across multiple computers in your house
- Use user accounts to default the owner field
- Have the database hosted on a higher performance solution (MySQL, CoreDB,..)
- Publish the database to the web
- Publish a selection of the added media to blog-rss (the books I read,...)
- A plug-in system to share media comments/critics through social networks / bookmarkers

.. Thanks for your work !

askbjoernhansen
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 31, 2006, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Delicious Monster View Post
No, you're right, it would be useful, not only for the borrowing, but for, say, creating a shelf and scanning a bunch of books directly into it.

-Mike
Yeah. We're bringing a bunch of our computer books to the office. It'd be nice to have an easy way to put them on the "Shelf" there by just scanning them again. :-)

cooksey
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 6, 2007, 05:58 AM

Just a couple of small suggestions: Intelligent sorting of numbers on the shelves, at the moment it's 1, 10, 11, 2, 3. Would it be possible to make it sort them properly?
"Number in series" - Allow text entries, in particular, I wanted to add "Special", but I couldn't.
For some reason when adding "1" to the no. of media, it is deleted and the value reverts back to a greyed out "n".
An ISBN field for books.
For DVDs (and possibly games, I'm not sure if they have regions), have a region field, I have a mixture of region 1, 2 and 4 DVDS, it is in the title if it's not region 2, but I would prefer a field where I could add it myself.
This probably wouldn't be useful for many people, but some sort of system for DVDs I've sold. I have a massive DVD collection myself, but I also buy and sell DVDs, at the moment I have them in my library with "SOLD - £price" at the beginning, so on my ipod or when viewing them, I can easily see which ones I don't own any more, and I have them on a seperate shelf and "loaned" to SOLD. But a tickbox for Sold, so it didn't show up in the main library, or something like that would be nice, as well as a field for the sale price. But as I said, that probably wouldn't be used by many people.
Something I just noticed, even when all the items to a particular borrower are due back on the same (default) date, when selecting them all it still says "different due dates".

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 10, 2007, 05:13 PM

Numeric fields sort numerically. Alphabetical fields sort alphabetically. I'm not saying we shouldn't just sort everything using the hybrid method (like Finder), but if you're aware of this, you can work around by adding leading zeroes to your numbers, so 01, 02, 03...10 11.

You can put text in "series." "Number in series" is just to sub-sort things in the same "series."

The number 1 doesn't display in "# of media" because it's assumed.

For books, the ASIN is the ISBN. Do not get me started on why this is, so help me iPhone, you do not want to know.

Region goes in features. Don't you consider regional encoding to be a feature?

You want to track things you no longer own? I want to point out that Delicious Library is obsessive-compulsive software written for obsessive-compulsive people by an obsessive-compulsive. Still, you have gone too far.

The reason due dates show up as different even though they are the same is because the times are different. Really. That said, we really should normalize those.

Wasn't this thread supposed to be about speculation?

LagunaSol
Forum Regular
Jan 16, 2007, 12:38 PM

"Vinyl collectors are a dying breed of enthusiasts who face daily pressure and ridicule for their obsession from coworkers, friends, and the internet at large."

Vinyl. Heh.

(kidding!)

"Wasn't this thread supposed to be about speculation?"

I speculate that DL2 will be initially released in a special bundle edition with Duke Nukem Forever (Mac version).

KTM525
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 23, 2007, 05:57 AM

Any news about DL 2.0 and a better (or more) connection to DVD Databases? Amazon is realy not the best source in my opinion.

Cheers, KTM525

Ptitboul
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 28, 2007, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by ktf View Post
1. Aggregate statistics e.g. total value of library (nice for insurance purposes).
As said before, this can be done with a spreadsheet.
You can also parse the XML file, e.g. with the following perl script (in a Unix way of doing things). To use this script, one technique is to launch it from Terminal.app. Of course, other people might prefer a Dashboard widget.
Note that my script lists the value for each shelf, and only accepts values in Euros.
code:

#! /usr/bin/perl
my %book;
my $total = 0;
my $recommendation = 0;
sub price;
open LIB, "$ENV{HOME}/Library/Application Support/Delicious Library/Library Media Data.xml";
while (<LIB>) {
$recommendation = 1 if m,<recommendations>,;
$recommendation = 0 if m,</recommendations>,;
next if $recommendation;
if (/<book/) {
my %line;
my $line = $_;
while ($line =~ s/ (\w+)="([^"]*)"//) {
$line{$1} = $2;
}
$book{$line{'uuid'}} = \%line;
$total += price ($line{'uuid'});
}
if (/<shelf name="([^"]*)"/) {
my $shelf = $1;
my $value = 0;
while (<LIB>) {
next unless /uuid="([^"]*)"/;
push @{$book_shelves{$1}}, $shelf;
my $price = price ($1);
$value += $price;
unless ($price) {
my ($x, $price) = price ($1);
my $title = $book{$1}{'fullTitle'};
$title = $book{$1}{'title'} unless $title;
printf STDERR "\t%s [price=%s]\n", $title, $price;
}
last if m,</shelf>,;
}
printf "[%s]=>[EUR %.2f]\n", $shelf, $value;
}
}
close LIB;
printf "TOTAL [EUR %.2f]\n", $total;

# Prints books that appear on no or many shelves
foreach my $uid (sort {$book{$a}{'title'} cmp $book{$b}{'title'}} keys %book) {
next if scalar @{$book_shelves{$uid}} == 1;
printf "%s\n", $book{$uid}{'title'};
foreach my $shelf (@{$book_shelves{$uid}}) {
printf "\t%s\n", $shelf;
}
}

sub price {
my $uid = shift;
my $price = $book{$uid}{'price'};
$price = $book{$uid}{'currentValue'} unless $price =~ /EUR (\d+),(\d\d)/;
return $1 + $2/100 if $price =~ /EUR (\d+),(\d\d)/;
return (0, $price);
}

Ptitboul
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 1, 2007, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Ptitboul View Post
Of course, other people might prefer a Dashboard widget.
I have made a widget. If people are interested, I can make it available for download on some web page.

By the way, there is apparently no simple technique to define custom size for items. I hope version 2 will make this possible.

maximage
Jun 5, 2007, 12:51 PM

How about the ability to also add software to the library easily without having to manually do it all, can't be to hard with the framework already there and amazon doing software? Since we are already tracking all other media. Would help with insurance too, and maybe a serial number field.

Martien
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2007, 09:29 AM

Marvelous. Delicious Library.

A ton of good suggestions already on this list. I'll ad a few personal ones:
  • Make it commercial open source so that others can add and extend this excellent tool.
  • Support locales like Dutch, French, German, etc. Hook it up to other sources of book info.
  • Wish that Delicious Monster grows into CDDB, but for books.
  • Import iTunes data and keep it in sync.
  • Export to HTML, WordPress, MediaWiki, and onther formats.
  • Digg it.

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2007, 09:34 AM

Support for any kind of Australian barcodes would make me happy. I'm too lazy to enter my stuff manually when I know there's an easier way.

Trejkaz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 15, 2007, 09:34 PM

Barcodes on Australian books seem to match up, and games seem to work too. I assume you're talking about DVDs, I have huge issues with DVDs not being in any database...

- - e r i k - -
Posting Junkie
Jun 15, 2007, 10:12 PM

Hmmm...really? My limited testing showed no DVDs, books or games. Maybe I'll give it another go when DL2 is out. Hopefully my copy of Duke Nukem Forever will scan by then

Scrubelicious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2007, 05:45 PM

Here are my suggestions.

-Have the Item link to the Apple.com page so you can view the Trailer for the DVD that is selected in a attached Window.

-Have a Cool CoreAnimation when you double click the Cover that it spins around to see the back. Click one more time it zooms into the Cover. Or you just right click it and the Cover spins and zooms in.

Yeah I know many say there is no good database for DVD covers. I guess its about time to have something like CDDB.com for DVDs....
DVD covers and information (international info & covers that is). Maybe even upload from DL?
Got my support.
-Share your Library over home and the internet network. Like iPhoto shared photos.

-Smart Lists (ala iTunes) Geners, Console types (Wii, DS, PSP, etc..), Rating etc..

ThisMessIAmIn
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 18, 2007, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by zebrafx View Post
What I'd dearly love is for Delicious Library to work in with LibraryThing. I love both - DL is desktop based, mac-based and looks great, LT is web based, and great for sharing.

I really like DL's issuing capability - but find its lack of sync-ing ability between my iMac and Powerbook a handicap. I like the fact that I can access LT anywhere I have access to the Net, but of course if I don't (have a net connection) I can't access my data..

I know I'm probably asking for / suggesting the impossible - but if DL could either work with LT or develop the capabilities of LT, that would be great.
Frankly, I dislike LibraryThing. It's unnecessarily complicated (seriously, who need FIVE different view types on the screen ALL the time?) and poorly designed (it's just plain ugly). LibraryThing needs a redesign and a full API.

I'm hoping that DL2 has a simple synchronization feature, uploading all of my Library to LT with correct import dates and the like.

Scrubelicious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2007, 03:49 PM

I like to see VIrtual Console support from Nintendo Wii!
( Last edited by Scrubelicious; Nov 7, 2007 at 07:36 PM. )

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 7, 2007, 07:28 PM

I like to see that too!

Scrubelicious
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2007, 07:37 PM

Are you trying to be funny?
Or are you saying DL2 will support VC from the Wii?

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 8, 2007, 04:38 PM

I don't actually know what that means. Do you mean you want to be able to add video games to Delicious Library that you've got in your virtual console collection? Or do you mean that your Mac and your Wii should be interacting via Delicious Library? Or do you mean that you want Delicious Library to play ROMs?

Forum Links
Forum Rules