Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G4 DA Powering issues

G4 DA Powering issues
packet of krisps
Apr 9, 2008, 09:08 PM

It's a PowerMac G4, 733 DA. When I push the power button, it lights up for a second but no boot up, so the PSU doesn't seen to be bad, I can't test it because its a 22 pin, not a 20 or 24 pin. So I guess it's the board, if it is, the I will just gut it and throw it away. Do you guys have any other suggestions? I have tried different sticks of PC133 in different slots with no luck. The main 120mm system fan was ceasing...loudly a while back, so i replaced it a with a blue LED 4 pin molex fan, thats the only other thing I've done to it, otherwise everything else is stock.

Is it common for these things to die at their age, (7 years this May)?

It's time to replace it I know, but it's used for web browsing and thats it, it's got a gig of ram, so it's not necessarily slow. It's got tiger.

Thanks

[15" MacBook Pro 2.6 Ghz] [G4 733] [G4 MDD DP 1.25]

seanc
Moderator Emeritus
Apr 10, 2008, 02:08 AM

This could be the symptom of a dead PSU or a PMU that needs resetting.

I'm glad the 22 pin plug deterred you, because if you'd plugged it into a standard ATX board, you probably would have fried it.

If you want to have a go at converting a standard PC PSU to work in it, PM with your email address.

l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 18, 2008, 11:30 PM

G4s seem to have very finicky power supplies, especially once they get old. If all the usually resetting tricks don't work, then I'd say most likely it needs a new power supply. Of course the best thing to do would be to try and find an identical machine and swap parts. Thats the only real way to nail it down 100%

Macola
Mac Elite
May 14, 2008, 05:38 PM

I've replaced the PSU twice in my (former) GigE G4. I'd say 7 years has been a pretty good run for a DA G4.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

Forum Links
Forum Rules