Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Secret to iPhone Happiness?

Secret to iPhone Happiness?
l008com
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 19, 2008, 09:52 PM

Ive had my (used 2g) iPhone for about a month now. it's really great ,I use it a lot. I haven't had any of the common problems you hear about from people that have had the phone for a while. I also hate being waken up in the morning by phone calls. so I do a full shutdown of the phone every night. is this simple step the secret to a happy iPhone?

jonnyz1245
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 19, 2008, 11:56 PM

or you could turn the ringer off!

l008com  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2008, 12:00 AM

And listen to BZZZZZ BZZZZZZ BZZZZZZ

Easier to just turn it off.

64stang06
Mac Elite
Oct 20, 2008, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by l008com View Post
And listen to BZZZZZ BZZZZZZ BZZZZZZ

Easier to just turn it off.
No, you can turn the vibrate off when sound is off as well, that way you hear nothing.
MacBook Pro 13" 2.8GHz Core i7/8GB RAM/750GB Hard Drive - Mac OS X 10.7.3

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2008, 01:22 AM

I wish there was a way to program the phone to switch to different modes depending on the time of day.

Quiet ring from 9 to 5 for work. Loud ring for the evening and vibrate at night.

No need to change it. Just set it... {Ron Popiel] AND FORGET IT!

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2008, 01:34 AM

Ive had my (used 2g) iPhone for about a month now. it's really great ,I use it a lot. I haven't had any of the common problems you hear about from people that have had the phone for a while. I also hate being waken up in the morning by phone calls. so I do a full shutdown of the phone every night. is this simple step the secret to a happy iPhone?
Why don't you just keep it in a different room ?

Turing it on and off every day would drive me nuts.

-t

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2008, 05:22 AM

I think the OP's post was meant to be suggesting that it is because they are turning it on and off every day that they haven't been experiencing the problems that many people have. I think that this is actually very likely, though the incredible slowness of rebooting the phone is what prevents me from doing it this often.

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2008, 08:36 AM

I agree, JKT. Frequent restarts are annoying, but they make the iPhone run much better.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 20, 2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
I think the OP's post was meant to be suggesting that it is because they are turning it on and off every day that they haven't been experiencing the problems that many people have. I think that this is actually very likely, though the incredible slowness of rebooting the phone is what prevents me from doing it this often.
Ok, I see.

I don't know if that's true, but since it's some sort of OS X, restarts every now and then could really help.

-t

QSilver
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2008, 10:21 AM

I use my iPhone as the morning alarm clcok, so it needs to be in the same room overnight. I just set it to Airplane Mode before going to bed.

kylef
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2008, 10:48 AM

If someone's calling me in the middle of the night then it's probably justified (unless they're drunk.....) - so I just leave it on vibrate anyway.

jonnyz1245
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2008, 12:58 PM

I used my iphone as an alarm the clock for the first time a couple weeks ago. I had it set to the duck sound. 6:30 in the morning and there is quacking in a pitch black hotel room. nearly gave me a heart attack. I was like WTF is that before I figured it out :-)

jonnyz1245
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2008, 12:59 PM

you can turn off the buzz buzz buzz sounf too, so the phone is silient

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 20, 2008, 01:23 PM

No one calls me at night unless it is an emergency. In that case I want to wake up.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 20, 2008, 02:33 PM

The ability to control the volume of alarms independently of the volume of the ringer would be something that Apple should surely be able to add. It is quite stupid that the alarm volume is linked to the ringer volume.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 20, 2008, 05:04 PM

...I also hate being waken up in the morning by phone calls. so I do a full shutdown of the phone every night. is this simple step the secret to a happy iPhone?
Me too. The only thing is that the iPhone's alarm doesn't wake the phone up, so unlike my previous 5 or 6 phones, I can't use the alarm as an alarm clock. Great.
So I bought a travel alarm clock and turn the phone off at night. That is my secret to a happy iPhone.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

jonnyz1245
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 20, 2008, 09:33 PM

too bad apple doesn't have a suggestion box for updates. if we could not have the ringer tied to the alarm volume, that would be a wiiner

JKT
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2008, 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Me too. The only thing is that the iPhone's alarm doesn't wake the phone up, so unlike my previous 5 or 6 phones, I can't use the alarm as an alarm clock. Great.
So I bought a travel alarm clock and turn the phone off at night. That is my secret to a happy iPhone.
That is very odd as it does wake the phone up for me - do you mean when it is turned off, it doesn't wake the phone up for the alarm? I haven't tried that but if it doesn't I'm glad you told us!

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 21, 2008, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by JKT View Post
That is very odd as it does wake the phone up for me - do you mean when it is turned off, it doesn't wake the phone up for the alarm? I haven't tried that but if it doesn't I'm glad you told us!
Yes, if you set the alarm then turn the phone off, the phone won't wake for the alarm.

All my past phones had this - it is very convenient.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

ajprice
Professional Poster
Oct 21, 2008, 10:10 AM

I set mine to airplane mode at night and use it as an alarm clock. It would be good to be able to turn it off properly at night, but airplane mode isn't too bad. I've always turned my phones off at night before.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Forum Links
Forum Rules