Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple TV, PS3 or ? ? ?

Apple TV, PS3 or ? ? ?
HeldUp
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 3, 2008, 02:06 AM

I'm looking for a media server solution and I didn't see a thread that describes my situation, so here goes:

I want to be able to wirelessly access my music, photos and movies on my large-screen plasma TV. I'd also like to be able to "rent" movies beyond my cable company's OnDemand service.

I have a 40GB Playstation 3 (PS3) and am able to access my MacBook Pro when it is on, but it doesn't see my networked 1-TB Fat32-formatted HD attached to my Airport Extreme router. Also, it doesn't play my DRM music, only plays mp3s and views jpgs that are copied to its HD, and is limited to type of video files it can play. I'd have to convert all my music to mp3s and all my video files to mpg and copy each individually to the limited 40 GB PS3 HD. A hassle.

Apple TV will allow me to do most of what I want to do, including rent movies and play DRM music purchased through iTunes. However, I'm not sure I can point it to my network HD that has been serving as my central library. I have two PCs which don't store a lot of media and a MacBook Pro that I don't have on all the time. Also, I've heard the lag time with Apple TV is somewhat disruptive. I'm looking into aTV Flash...

Beyond these two options, what else is out there that will work with my existing setup? Do I need to go to an ethernet Media Server, a NAS drive or what? Is Apple TV my only real solution?

Thanks in advance.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 3, 2008, 02:31 AM

As long as the music / videos on the NAS are part of the iTunes library, the unpatched ATV will stream them w/o problems. Videos have to be in H.264 format though.

Once you install aTV Flash, you can play any files from any source, even NAS should not be a problem at all, at least not with Boxee or XBMC.

-t

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 3, 2008, 05:16 AM

Do you need a solution right away? If you are looking into getting an ATV, I would wait until MacWorld and see what Steve Jobs announces. ATV is long overdue for an update.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Maflynn
Professional Poster
Dec 3, 2008, 08:45 AM

One thing to consider is how will you have the PS3 connected to your network. Wireless or via cat-5?

I was on wireless (and the ps3 uses 802.11b/g which means transfer times are ssssllloooowww and movies are large. I did a 90 minute (5 gig) hi-def movie on mine and it took about 18 hours, not sure if that's typical. When I got another base station, extended the network and wired the ps3 into the new base station. Download speeds picked up so that 5 gig took about 5 hours, I was averaging about a gig an hour. My network is still not set up optimally; my second airport base station is communicating two my main one via wi-fi but at least the speeds are 802.11n now not 802.11n and I'm averaging 140mbs.

Hope that helps
~Mike

HeldUp  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 4, 2008, 03:00 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I don't need a solution right away, but I want to get the ball rolling, so to speak. If there is a solution out there now, then I might consider it. With the economy the way it is, not sure if the best bargains will only be for Christmas.

I read somewhere that several rumors were swirling around a new ATV, with either Blu-Ray or embedded in Mini. Regardless, if a new version of ATV comes out, how long before the patches (Boxee, etc.) come out with an updated version?

Currently, the PS3 is wireless but can be moved to my media closet and be wired into the router, if needed. ATV would be the same (wired, if that makes it faster).

CorpITGuy
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2008, 10:26 AM

I'd buy a Blu-Ray + ATV setup. I'm holding off -despite REALLY wanting an ATV for Christmas- until January. I hope that rumor is true.
"A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject." - Winston Churchill

MacBook Pro 17" 2.33 GHz - (mine)
MacBook Pro 15" 1.83 GHz - (wife)
Pair of iPhones

ph0ust
Senior User
Dec 4, 2008, 04:39 PM

well, boxee is updating the atv version to have netflix soon. if that happens and tivo eventually gets on the platform the atv will rock! of course, it will rock only because you have hacked it to put on non-apple players because apple is lame and wants an itunes only ecosystem. but it will rock nonetheless.

Forum Links
Forum Rules