Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > WWDC: Predictions & Wishlist

WWDC: Predictions & Wishlist (Page 3)
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2010, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Anand View Post
Wow, not a single thing on the Mac OS.
At this point the surprising thing would be for Apple to promote Mac OS X.

Remember when years ago someone asked SJ what he'd do if he ever were to run Apple again? He reportedly said something like, "I'd milk the Mac for all it's worth and then move on to the next big thing." I think the iPlatforms were/are the Next Big Thing he was talking about back then. I hope I'm wrong, but it may well be that the Mac platform doesn't mean all that much to Apple going forward.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2010, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Well, what I mean is that Apple's upgrade cycle for the iPhone means that it's coming out in the middle of a superior product's life cycle, and it's only matching that product, not going beyond it, so that in the next six months, the next generation of competitor is out already.
What exactly do you hope to gain from a dual 1.2 GHz processor in your phone? More time spent charging your batteries?

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 7, 2010, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
People who care about video and sound quality?

I predict everyone will be disappointed, except for the people who predicted that everyone will be disappointed.
I’m not disappointed.

I expected very little of the new iPhone, and my expectations were met; and I expected a bit more, though not much, of the new iPhone OS/iOS, and my expectations were more than met. So overall, I’m quite pleased with it.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2010, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I hope I'm wrong, but it may well be that the Mac platform doesn't mean all that much to Apple going forward.
"Not to worry."

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2010, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by boy8cookie View Post
What exactly do you hope to gain from a dual 1.2 GHz processor in your phone? More time spent charging your batteries?
Qualcomm says that it supposedly is just as efficient as the current Snapdragon.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2010, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
At this point the surprising thing would be for Apple to promote Mac OS X.

Remember when years ago someone asked SJ what he'd do if he ever were to run Apple again? He reportedly said something like, "I'd milk the Mac for all it's worth and then move on to the next big thing." I think the iPlatforms were/are the Next Big Thing he was talking about back then. I hope I'm wrong, but it may well be that the Mac platform doesn't mean all that much to Apple going forward.
Hey, at least they aren't doing the Microsoft approach and forcing a desktop OS on devices it was never designed to be on.

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2010, 06:34 PM

Well, they did rename the OS to remove the 'phone' part. Those rumors of them putting it on an Apple TV might only be the beginning.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
Well, they did rename the OS to remove the 'phone' part. Those rumors of them putting it on an Apple TV might only be the beginning.
Of course. Now that there are three devices that use the OS, the iPhone, the iPod, and the iPad, it's kinda silly to keep calling it the "iPhone OS."

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2010, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Person Man View Post
Of course. Now that there are three devices that use the OS, the iPhone, the iPod, and the iPad, it's kinda silly to keep calling it the "iPhone OS."
Sure. IIRC, there were rumours of the name change at the iPad event.

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2010, 07:27 PM

The thing with OS X is that... there's not a lot more to do, and their major competition is Microsoft. The Desktop computer is nearly dead, Apple built a killer OS, then moved it to a super powerful mobile platform, now they can build on features that to some degree were taken out. I'm surprised FaceTime wasn't done in association with Skype or some other major part of the industry. I think Apple has figured out that the Mac may gain market share, but they're going to do much better pegging off markets that aren't as entrenched as the PC market.

Honestly while I hope the Mac keeps getting developed for a very long time, the fact is Apple is able to control things far better on the iOS than on the Mac OS, and I don't think it will be terribly long before laptops are considered old news.

monsoonstorm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 7, 2010, 07:34 PM

I was hoping for a new power mac, been waiting for an awfully long time now.

Oh well

I guess the power mac's don't make as much money as the phone/imacs/laptops so they are bottom of the pile

MacinTommy
Mac Elite
Jun 7, 2010, 08:42 PM

Safari 5 hath arrived.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2010, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by MacinTommy View Post
Safari 5 hath arrived.
Reading this in Safari 5 already.

-t

Oneota
Professional Poster
Jun 7, 2010, 09:19 PM

Is it me, or did they take the Readability project and call that the "Reader" feature? It's pretty sweet, however it was implemented.

(Readability: http://lab.arc90.com/experiments/readability/ )
"Yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation" yields a falsehood when preceded by its quotation.

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 7, 2010, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by slugslugslug View Post
Have you checked your upgrade status online lately? I heard a lot of 3G S owners were getting their eligibility moved back (i.e. earlier), and it turned out to be true for me. A few weeks ago, i was supposed to be waiting till October, but suddenly I’m eligible now. Which makes it that much harder to try to hold off until there are multiple carriers.
The information available from AT&T is both vague and sketchy. And they do not yet list the iPhone 4 as available...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2010, 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by monsoonstorm View Post
I was hoping for a new power mac, been waiting for an awfully long time now.

Oh well

I guess the power mac's don't make as much money as the phone/imacs/laptops so they are bottom of the pile
You may be waiting a very, very long time.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2010, 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by Salty View Post
Honestly while I hope the Mac keeps getting developed for a very long time, the fact is Apple is able to control things far better on the iOS than on the Mac OS, and I don't think it will be terribly long before laptops are considered old news.
So you think Apple's going to position future iPads to replace the MacBook Pro line? I don't think the iPad platform will ever be able to replace Macs for those who need them. But it could be a sign of things to come that the Mac may be allowed to wither and then Mac users will have to migrate to Windows and Linux unless they want to fully adopt the iPlatforms for all their computing needs. That would be a sad, sad future, to see the Mac die after it finally started gaining real market share.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2010, 10:35 PM

Where the hell is the keynote Quicktime stream ?

Didn't Apple use to release it the same day in the evening ?

-t

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2010, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
The information available from AT&T is both vague and sketchy. And they do not yet list the iPhone 4 as available...
You can check on Apple's site, as well:

https://buyiphone.apple.com/WebObjec...adeEligibility

I was originally not due for an upgrade until November, but now I am — and I'll be ordering my iPhone 4 next week.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2010, 12:01 AM

That link doesn't say anything about iPhone 4 for me

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2010, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
Where the hell is the keynote Quicktime stream ?

Didn't Apple use to release it the same day in the evening ?

-t
They are busy editing out all the glitches and demos gone wrong...

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

Andy8
Mac Elite
Jun 8, 2010, 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by ort888 View Post
They are busy editing out all the glitches and demos gone wrong...
Its up now:

WWDC 2010 - Keynote Address

Salty
Professional Poster
Jun 9, 2010, 09:20 PM

I don't get the reader feature in Safari...

Otherwise WWDC was a little light, I imagine we might find out more about the Apple TV update that's said to be coming in september? Which is sad cause I was hoping to get it for my parents in august as a birthday gift, oh well Christmas it is!

I don't think that the iPad will replace a MacBook Pro for me, I think it might some day for my sister though.

slugslugslug
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2010, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Salty
I don't get the reader feature in Safari...
What’s not to get? Web pages often have tons of visual noise, especially the pages that are long articles. Reader finds what’s obviously the primary block of text and presents it without the distraction. Stuff like this using bookmarklets (Readability, Instapaper’s text bookmarklet), and presumably Firefox/Chrome extensions, have been pretty big for a while now. So it made sense for it to become a built-in feature of a browser.

Forum Links
Forum Rules