Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > No GPU support for SETI or Folding??

No GPU support for SETI or Folding??
Gamoe
Mac Elite
Sep 11, 2011, 04:52 PM

I'm trying to have SETI or Folding utilize my GPU- An AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB in this case. There is widespread support on Windoze, but the Mac seems to be left out of the GPU party. I don't understand it, especially with decent GPUs now shipping in iMacs and even MacBook Pros, not to mention Mac Pros.

Has anybody gotten GPU to work with either of these projects? If not, perhaps I can find another worthwhile project that will indeed take advantage of my otherwise idle GPU.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 11, 2011, 07:01 PM

There is CUDA support from a couple of projects, but ATI support has not shown up yet.

Todd Madson
Mac Elite
Sep 12, 2012, 06:51 AM

I just actually researched this issue and it turns out they are doing some work towards an OpenCL cruncher for astropulse on the Mac side since it works on the PC side handily.

I understand someone was in the process of testing this, I forget exactly who at the moment. More as soon as I get info.

arkayn
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 13, 2012, 11:04 AM

Eric Korpela is slowly trying to build a working a OpenCL app for Mac, but he is also dealing with other problems on Beta as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules