Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Can't liberate my iTunes movies

Can't liberate my iTunes movies
Zoom
Mac Elite
Dec 8, 2013, 07:03 PM

iTunes had a killer deal on Harry Potter a while back... I bought all 8 movies in HD for $10! It was unreal.

However, now I'm stuck. I have two Apple TVs for watching iTunes in my living room and bedroom - perfect for this. But my home theater in the basement is a little older and it's component-based (as opposed to HDMI). So there is no component output on Apple TV (and I don't believe a component-to-HDMI box will work with HDCP and DRM'd content, right?).

So.... how can I watch these movies on my home theater in HD with surround sound?? Honestly, what I really want to do is strip the DRM, but apparently this is not easy to do. Requiem is gone and there's another app that costs $40-50 that I've heard is really crappy... plus, why should I have to spend that much to watch movies I own? (Yes, I realize how the business model works, but I still don't think it should work that way.)

Anyone have an idea, short of upgrading my entire basement system to handle HDMI and getting a third ATV?
Late 2012 27" iMac 3.4GHz Intel Core i7, 24GB RAM, 3TB Fusion drive

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2013, 07:52 PM

*psst* Look here...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161150228041?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p398 4.m1423.l2649
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 8, 2013, 08:09 PM

Google "HD fury".

ShortcutToMoncton
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 9, 2013, 09:10 AM

What about a Roku 2 running Plex? I do not have iTunes movies, but that might be a cheap solution to allow you to watch all your iTunes movies and music as well as Netflix/etc., and it has component video. I'm not sure how DRM video content works with Plex, but Google should help - I might be able to try buying a movie and checking it out on my Roku, but it will not be hooked up for another week or two.
Mankind's only chance is to harness the power of stupid.

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2013, 11:23 AM

@Shaddim... where? I don't see a link.

HD Fury is $250 - that much I've figured out. I could get a new AV receiver and AppleTV for not much more than that (might be a refurb). I'm actually starting to lean that way... I'm not going to be in this house more than another year or two, so I might just upgrade my stuff to handle HDMI with some cheap equipment (used/refurb). All I really need is a receiver, an ATV, and a long HDMI cable. I should be able to do that for $300.

But I'd still like to liberate the movies from Apple-land. I'm an Apple person - I have tons of Apple stuff - but damn it, I should be able to watch a movie that I purchased on any device.

Plex doesn't work with iTunes DRM'd stuff, as far as I know. My basement system is set up for XBMC actually - I have all my movies on a central file server and use XBMC at every TV. I have AppleTV's at 2 out of 3 TVs, but not in the basement, as I've explained. I actually own two Roku's as well, and I've tried Plex - it's not bad (but it's not as good as XBMC, IMO).

This is so frustrating... I'm sick of having to own multiple boxes to just watch stuff. I have Roku for Amazon Prime video (because Apple TV doesn't support that), NetFlix is supported on almost every box I own, and I have Apple TV for iTunes stuff and for XBMC (I hacked them, which I wish I didn't have to do). And then I have a satellite box because there are no good turn-key DVR systems. I haven't tried Myth in a long time, but I hear it's still clunky. SageTV is gone. What else is there, really? This is all because of freakin' DRM or walled gardens, and I'm sick of it.

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2013, 12:39 PM

Nevermind... I got the message, Shaddim, thanks!

So... as I said earlier, I didn't think it was feasible to convert HDMI to component because HDCP (the protocol that restricts devices for DRM purposes) won't terminate properly with a converter box. Am I wrong?

andi*pandi
Dec 9, 2013, 12:43 PM

would handbrake work to convert the files?

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2013, 12:57 PM

No, not DRM'd files. Unless there's some de-DRM plugin for Handbrake that I'm not aware of. If not for DRM, I could play them with XBMC without modification.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2013, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
Nevermind... I got the message, Shaddim, thanks!

So... as I said earlier, I didn't think it was feasible to convert HDMI to component because HDCP (the protocol that restricts devices for DRM purposes) won't terminate properly with a converter box. Am I wrong?
It works... Which is why almost every US company that's tried to sell those has gotten threatened/sued by the MPAA (Monoprice, RadioShack, Crutchfield, Amazon, etc etc.).
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2013, 05:22 PM

Soooo.... you're saying I should buy one quickly?

Zoom  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 9, 2013, 05:40 PM

Another question... my Onkyo SR705 has both HDMI in and component in... but as I recall, the best you can get is 480p if you let the receiver convert HDMI to component... but reading my manual, it's not clear.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 9, 2013, 10:05 PM

Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
Soooo.... you're saying I should buy one quickly?
Well, I'm saying the trickle of them coming into the US could stop at any time, once the MPAA realizes there's still a leak.
- Thomas Paine

Phileas
Mac Elite
Dec 10, 2013, 10:45 AM

Anything that can be made in China, will be made in China. Most things I order from ebay get never opened by customs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules