Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Just got iBook 700 - Included 10.2!

Just got iBook 700 - Included 10.2!
gbafan
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 12, 2002, 08:44 PM

Wow... I was so surprised to open the book and see the 10.2 CD and booklet, I just had to post this before I start playing with it.

Just in case you're wondering, I ordered last Tuesday and just received today straight from Taiwan via FedEx.

Awesome!
MacBook Pro

Commodus
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2002, 09:02 PM

Congrats - I notice you got a 14.1" model, too... please let me know how the screen is, and how snappy things are with 10.2! I'm looking to get an iBook either very late this fall or in early January, so it'd be nice to see how 10.2 works on an iBook which can run Quartz Extreme.

scottiB
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2002, 10:58 PM

Commodus, if you're waiting that long, I'm sure the iBook will've been updated--making it even more Jaguarific!

A wild guess: 800mhz G3 w/133 mhz bus.
I am stupidest when I try to be funny.

pat++
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2002, 04:53 AM

I have a 500Mhz iBook which sits just next to a 700Mhz model.
The 700Mhz is MUCH faster (the 700 with 10.1 is faster than the 500
running Jaguar).

The 700 runs 10.1 VERY well... so well that the difference with Jaguar
is not that much impressive (except for transparent terminal and
a few little things).

Just one thing disappointed me about the 700Mhz : There is a *VERY*
noisy fan, I don't know if this is because of the faster CPU or because
of the ATI Radeon video card...

Anyway, the 700Mhz iBook is very nice to run OS X...

One question for gbafan:
What is the build number ? 6C115 ?

greener
Aug 13, 2002, 09:40 AM

Do any of you have the "Cycle Processor" option in energy saver? I have an iBook 700, and it doesn't seem to show up.
"There is no spoon" - Spoon Boy

onomotapoeia
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2002, 11:12 AM

Originally posted by pat++:

The 700 runs 10.1 VERY well... so well that the difference with Jaguar
is not that much impressive (except for transparent terminal and
a few little things).
so the only thing you're excpecting to get out of jaguar is a transparent terminal? you can save 130 bucks and download tinkertool..

tycheung
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2002, 12:05 PM

Here's a question - does the iBook 700 with Jaguar come with the FULL OS 9.2.x CD or just a watered down version that can only run in classic?

gbafan  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 13, 2002, 09:17 PM

The build number is 6C115, yes.

As for coming with a full version of Mac OS 9, my 10.2 upgrade package did not have an OS 9 cd. However, the new iBook had a full 9.2.2 cd included.
MacBook Pro

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Aug 14, 2002, 04:22 AM

I just picked up an ibook on the 4th, and I guess it was old stock b/c it still mentions itools. Still saved on the taxes though since I got it from Oregon.

Man....I wish I had Jaguar on this machine so I could try it out...
I'm excited about next weekend's release. Is it as good as
people say it is? I'm tired of seeing the beachball of death numerous times this week.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 14, 2002, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by greener:
Do any of you have the "Cycle Processor" option in energy saver? I have an iBook 700, and it doesn't seem to show up.
10.2 has something called reduce speed in the energy saver control panel
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

hsl
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 14, 2002, 08:07 AM

Originally posted by gbafan:
Wow... I was so surprised to open the book and see the 10.2 CD and booklet, I just had to post this before I start playing with it.

Just in case you're wondering, I ordered last Tuesday and just received today straight from Taiwan via FedEx.

Awesome!
hey great,
what is the build number!!

I think it is strange because it's not allowed to send 10.2 before 24aug. not even with a new computer that's no Powermac G4 DP867 or DP 1GHz (was told me 5 minutes ago by a guy from the online applestore in holland, he even told me that when I would buy an 800MHz superdrive eMac after 24Aug. 10.2 is not included!!

isn't that strange??!!
15,4" MBP (late 2008), 2,53Ghz, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD | 27" ACD | 11" MBA, 1.6Ghz, 4GB RAM , 128GB | 16GB iPhone4 | 32GB iPad

The biggest fan of JoliOriginals MacBook, iPad and iPhone Sleeves!

MoBius
Aug 15, 2002, 01:02 AM

I have a 14.1" 700mhz ibook and its quiet as a mofo. I get 10.2 for 20 bux but gotta order it since ig ot mine like 2 weeks after mwny

Andrenes
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 17, 2002, 12:45 PM

I just got my ibook on 15 August from my University's Bookstore and it came with the Jaguar Booklet and CD.
Being a newbie in the mac world...can one use both Jaguar and the previous version?
Many thanks

twieland
Aug 17, 2002, 05:57 PM

A buddy of mine just ordered a new ibook 700 last week from Amazon, and it arrived yesterday (Friday 08/16) - it did NOT come with the Jaguar CD's ...

el lindo
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2002, 06:08 PM

That is most likely because Amazon doesn't order every iBook from the factory, where as if you order from Apple they will give you one that was just made. Amazon probably has had your friend's iBook for a couple months now.

PCTek
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 17, 2002, 06:21 PM

I just recieved my iBook from MacMall.

It has 10.1.4, and no Jaguar flat-pack came with it.

villalobos
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2002, 07:57 PM

All right I played with 10.2 on some ibooks at the Apple Store here in Durham. I thought the thing was slow, and finder graphics (resizing windows and all) was not really faster.... I was on an Ibook with a 14.1"... I go un der the About this Mac. Turns out that they still have the previous version of Ibooks in display. It was a 600 MHz!!!!!! I look around and find a newer Ibook (with a 'supported' graphic card). Such a difference between the two computers, although both were 600 MHz..
I can't believe there still are older I books on display at an Apple store though.

Finally I played with with a PB 667.... Man, what a difference. It just confirmed my opinion that nobody should buy a G3 if one wanna run OSX. It was day and light. I understand that tere are other differences between the comp, but the G4 helps a whole lot.

Now I waould like a laptop, but I guess I ill have to wait...

villalobos

jedakroub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 19, 2002, 10:04 AM

I just received my refurbished iBook 700 directly from Apple today...and much to my surprise 10.2 was included. Very cool and quite surprising considering the Apple rep told me that 10.2 would NOT come with the refurb. Now I am on the phone trying to cancel my order for 10.2....

dvd
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 19, 2002, 04:24 PM

how are refurblished products? are they real clean? Any signs of preivous usage?

jedakroub
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 20, 2002, 01:41 PM

My refurbished iBook is in excellent condition. There were a few finger prints here and there, but this thing is very clean and in perfect working order. I must say, going from a 500 to a 700 iBook is like night and day to me. However, I installed 10.2 on the 700 which takes advantage of Quartz Extreme. I am so pleased with 10.2 and the performance on this iBook. Very responsive...just a real pleasure to work with.

I Have Questions
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2002, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by villalobos:
All right I played with 10.2 on some ibooks at the Apple Store here in Durham. I thought the thing was slow, and finder graphics (resizing windows and all) was not really faster.... I was on an Ibook with a 14.1"... I go un der the About this Mac. Turns out that they still have the previous version of Ibooks in display. It was a 600 MHz!!!!!! I look around and find a newer Ibook (with a 'supported' graphic card). Such a difference between the two computers, although both were 600 MHz..
I can't believe there still are older I books on display at an Apple store though.

Finally I played with with a PB 667.... Man, what a difference. It just confirmed my opinion that nobody should buy a G3 if one wanna run OSX. It was day and light. I understand that tere are other differences between the comp, but the G4 helps a whole lot.

Now I waould like a laptop, but I guess I ill have to wait...

villalobos
I was at Southpoint today and also messed around with iBooks and 10.2. The one in the front of the store was 700 MHz, but still very, very slow. The difference between the i and Ti is amazing, not only in price but in drastic performance improvements. The TiBook responded similarly to the new PowerMacs, but the iBook felt like my old Dell 300 MHz PII in the closet. Holy crap that thing was slow! My conclusion... iBook and 10.2 = disappointment.

kentuckyfried
Senior User
Aug 20, 2002, 06:57 PM

^ You get what you pay for. No way am I in any position to drop more than double the price of a mid-level ibook just to get some speed improvement in a tipb, and I'm sure that's the case with many others. The machine tipb ain't cheap!
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

Forum Links
Forum Rules